Barcelona on our own

Oceanann

Hello all, 

My mom and I are going on our first cruise and it will be both our first times in Spain! I am wondering if we will have enough time to do a hop on/ hop off bus with La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell? If we really can't get off the ship two hours after we dock and back two before we leave we will have from 11 to 7 pm. We will be there Aug 31st on the Norgewigan Getaway, if it makes a difference. We are very excited!!

Yes - you'll do it easily. Pre-book your Sagrada tickets. We had 9am and were waiting at opening and were second in. It was great.. got a good chance to look and take photos before it was fill. Out of there say after 10.. heaps of time to do the HoHo, Park Guell, walk through the Gothic Quarter etc. 

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Yes - you'll do it easily. Pre-book your Sagrada tickets. We had 9am and were waiting at opening and were second in. It was great.. got a good chance to look and take photos before it was fill. Out of there say after 10.. heaps of time to do the HoHo, Park Guell, walk through the Gothic Quarter etc. 

Thank you! I was about to book both places but then thought I should ask if there would even be time!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oceanann said:

Hello all, 

My mom and I are going on our first cruise and it will be both our first times in Spain! I am wondering if we will have enough time to do a hop on/ hop off bus with La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell? If we really can't get off the ship two hours after we dock and back two before we leave we will have from 11 to 7 pm. We will be there Aug 31st on the Norgewigan Getaway, if it makes a difference. We are very excited!!

I'm not sure what you've read, but your "2 hour" reasoning won't apply in Barcelona.  For a ship arriving in Barcelona, you will probably be able to get off for sightseeing within 30-45 minutes of the stated docking time.  Possibly 15-30 minutes, if everyone does their job properly.  And generally, at almost all ports of call, passengers need to be back on ship 30 minutes prior to the stated sailing time.  Sometimes it is an hour.  I suggest you try to be back one hour prior to sailing.

I suspect you might be on an NCL ship and have read this 2 hour guideline on their website.  NCL has a badly worded statement on their site indicating you must be on ship 2 hours prior to sailing.  This only applies to your initial embarkation port.  So if your cruise begins in Rome and sails at 4pm.  They want you on board by 2pm.  But only for that initial embarkation port.  Other ports its typically 30 minutes prior to sailing.  

So if you're docked in Barcelona from 9am to 9pm (based on what you said above), I would expect that you will have roughly 9:30am to 8:30pm on shore if you wish to push it.  I would probably do 9:30 to 8:00 to be safe.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I'm not sure what you've read, but your "2 hour" reasoning won't apply in Barcelona.  For a ship arriving in Barcelona, you will probably be able to get off for sightseeing within 30-45 minutes of the stated docking time.  Possibly 15-30 minutes, if everyone does their job properly.  And generally, at almost all ports of call, passengers need to be back on ship 30 minutes prior to the stated sailing time.  Sometimes it is an hour.  I suggest you try to be back one hour prior to sailing.

I suspect you might be on an NCL ship and have read this 2 hour guideline on their website.  NCL has a badly worded statement on their site indicating you must be on ship 2 hours prior to sailing.  This only applies to your initial embarkation port.  So if your cruise begins in Rome and sails at 4pm.  They want you on board by 2pm.  But only for that initial embarkation port.  Other ports its typically 30 minutes prior to sailing.  

So if you're docked in Barcelona from 9am to 9pm (based on what you said above), I would expect that you will have roughly 9:30am to 8:30pm on shore if you wish to push it.  I would probably do 9:30 to 8:00 to be safe.

Thank you for clarifying. We are on  a NCL cruise and it is badly worded, I was under that exact assumption that we had to be back 2 hours before ans wait 2 hours to get off the ship at every port. So that is good news that we are gaining three hours a day! 

41 minutes ago, Oceanann said:

Thank you for clarifying. We are on  a NCL cruise and it is badly worded, I was under that exact assumption that we had to be back 2 hours before ans wait 2 hours to get off the ship at every port. So that is good news that we are gaining three hours a day! 

Don’t feel bad.  You are not the only one.  Someone asks about it almost every month I would say.  You’d think NCL would change the wording, but it’s been that way for many years.  Enjoy Barcelona.  It’s a great city. 

Also, the official “all aboard” time for each port will be written in the daily flyer they give you each day.  They also typically have a reminder sign on the gangway as you leave the ship. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Being in the first group at La Sagrada is awesome.  You are inside before the crowds and can appreciate the light coming through the stained glass windows.  Rather than the HOHO taxi going directly to the sites you want to see might be a less expensive and more efficient option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done the HOHO twice before when staying a few nights pre-cruise. When doing all three routes from Plaça Catalunya as your starting point, it took us most of the day without getting off. August/September was busy, lots of stops with people getting off and on.

As you know, the Gaudi sites sell timed-entry tickets. If doing the Sagrada tower (I recommend) you'd probably be there more than an hour to get the most of your visit. It's not to be missed. For that reason, a taxi between sites may be the the most efficient time-saving option.  It will be hot and you won't want to rush... stop for a snack and drink.  You may still have time to do a couple of the HOHO routes for the views and English commentary. Barcelona is huge! Limited what you can do in a day!

From Plaça Catalunya, you may want to walk the length of the Ramblas (1.3km long) to the Columbus monument on the waterfront 'near' cruise ships, and catch a ship's shuttle across the street, if offered, or taxi back.  The Ramblas runs adjacent to the Gothic Quarter where we did 'free' Runner Bean Walking Tour from Plaça Reial.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

The Ramblas runs adjacent to the Gothic Quarter where we did 'free' Runner Bean Walking Tour from Plaça Reial.

Wondering why the quotation marks around "free" walking tour?

15 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Being in the first group at La Sagrada is awesome.  You are inside before the crowds and can appreciate the light coming through the stained glass windows.  Rather than the HOHO taxi going directly to the sites you want to see might be a less expensive and more efficient option.

Yes, we want to try to be there as early as possible. There is a package for the HOHO bus  with Sagrada Familia and Park Guell for 100 US dollars each. I will try to price out if taxi or ubers will be cheaper. Probably more efficient though for sure! 

31 minutes ago, Senga said:

Wondering why the quotation marks around "free" walking tour?

They are free. At the end you give the guide a tip according to how much you liked it. We took that tour and enjoyed it. We gave the guide a very nice tip. I think a couple of young kids left without giving her anything, but everyone else gave her a tip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

I've done the HOHO twice before when staying a few nights pre-cruise. When doing all three routes from Plaça Catalunya as your starting point, it took us most of the day without getting off. August/September was busy, lots of stops with people getting off and on.

As you know, the Gaudi sites sell timed-entry tickets. If doing the Sagrada tower (I recommend) you'd probably be there more than an hour to get the most of your visit. It's not to be missed. For that reason, a taxi between sites may be the the most efficient time-saving option.  It will be hot and you won't want to rush... stop for a snack and drink.  You may still have time to do a couple of the HOHO routes for the views and English commentary. Barcelona is huge! Limited what you can do in a day!

From Plaça Catalunya, you may want to walk the length of the Ramblas (1.3km long) to the Columbus monument on the waterfront 'near' cruise ships, and catch a ship's shuttle across the street, if offered, or taxi back.  The Ramblas runs adjacent to the Gothic Quarter where we did 'free' Runner Bean Walking Tour from Plaça Reial.

Enjoy!

Thank you for all the great info! I was thinking we'd see Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, ride the bus some and walk through the Gothic Quarter, is that too ambitious? 

1 hour ago, Oceanann said:

Thank you for all the great info! I was thinking we'd see Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, ride the bus some and walk through the Gothic Quarter, is that too ambitious? 

It could be too much in one day, but you can try.  There are always plenty of taxis around, so you can simply quit when you are ready and go back to the ship. 

• Like 1

FYI: Two qeeks ago ataxi straight fro  the ship to the Sagrada Familia was € 20. From the Ramblas to the ship € 13 or16Much more time effizient than taking the shuttle from the port and than hop on hop off bus 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:33 PM, Oceanann said:

You're welcome!

Agree with Marazul.

Makes sense to do your most important first, then judge what you can do in the remaining time. 

We were in Barcelona for a week. A much different reality on a cruise ship day.

I wouldn't use the HOHO bus as transportation to visit Sagrada Familia and Park Guell in a day, plus attempt to accomplish everything else on a long wish list. In my opinion, if taxis are plentiful, waiting for buses can waste precious time. Park Guell was unguided so it's easy to lose track of time. We skipped the trails and went directly into the Monumental Zone.

Would be great to fit in at least one of the three loops on the HOHO bus for an overview of the city. Each route takes 2-2.5 hrs without getting off. If skipping one, I'd skip the one along the beach... even though I love beaches.

BTW, we truly enjoyed the walking tour in the Gothic Quarter where we had a personal guide providing historical accounts of what we we saw. The tour would restrict your time as it only runs at certain hours.

We also enjoyed Gaudi's Casa Battló, a short walk from Plaça Catalunya. It's a single crazy-amazing building and appealed to my sense of humour.

Something for everything... tough choices to make. Truth is, it's all amazing!  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Adventures ahead said:

You're welcome!

Agree with Marazul.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:33 PM, Oceanann said:

And I agree with Adventures.

I strongly suggest that Oceanann skip the ho-ho bus.  It would be a waste of time.  And for that matter, given the time they have available, I would also skip the Park Güell and take a taxi from SF to Casa Batlló.  After visiting CB, walk up and down the Passeig de Gracia and grab some lunch.  Then go down Las Ramblas as far as Carrer de Colom, turn left and go to the Plaça Reial.  From there make their way across the Gothic Quarter to the Cathedral (just like the Runner Bean tour).  Make sure they walk through Plaça del Pi and Plaça Sant Jaume on the way to the Cathedral. If they have time, go to nearby Santa Maria del Mar church which also has very good tapas bars across from the entrance. Then a taxi to the ship. 

Runner Bean's free tours are at 11 am and 4:30 pm.  However, they would also give you a private tour at whatever time you choose, say 2 pm. https://runnerbeantours.com/

The description of the free tour is:

https://runnerbeantours.com/tours/free-tours-barcelona-gothic-quarter/#tour_hightlights

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, marazul said:

I strongly suggest that Oceanann skip the ho-ho bus.  It would be a waste of time.  And for that matter, given the time they have available, I would also skip the Park Güell and take a taxi from SF to Casa Batlló.  After visiting CB, walk up and down the Passeig de Gracia and grab some lunch.  Then go down Las Ramblas as far as Carrer de Colom, turn left and go to the Plaça Reial.  From there make their way across the Gothic Quarter to the Cathedral (just like the Runner Bean tour).  Make sure they walk through Plaça del Pi and Plaça Sant Jaume on the way to the Cathedral. If they have time, go to nearby Santa Maria del Mar church which also has very good tapas bars across from the entrance. Then a taxi to the ship. 

Runner Bean's free tours are at 11 am and 4:30 pm.  However, they would also give you a private tour at whatever time you choose, say 2 pm. https://runnerbeantours.com/

https://runnerbeantours.com/tours/free-tours-barcelona-gothic-quarter/#tour_hightlights

I fell short of suggesting missing Park Guell. Thought I might be admonished! It was interesting but not my favourite. As a second Gaudi 'fix' to Sagrada Familia, we thought Casa Batlló was a lot more fun and easier to get to. To us, the park felt like a make-believe land (without a guide). The Gothic Quarter felt real, so well worth the time spent there. I've done the Runner Bean tour twice and hope to do it again this fall.  A little different each time with a different guide.

I only suggest a route on the HOHO for a relatively quick overview, don't get off, time to sit and relax, learn from the English commentary.

Food isn't a priority for us on a port day.  For a quick snack at a café, try patatas bravas and a local drink. (BTW, don't lay your phone or camera down on a table. Don't fret. Just keep your bag in your lap.)

Come back and tell us how your day went! 

• Like 1

I am going to be somewhat contrarian when it comes to HoHo buses.  If you simply want to visit a few places, such as Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, it will save you both time (and usually money) to simply go to those places via public transit or even a taxi.  HoHos, while they do have some advantages, will oftee mean spending signifiicant time just waiting for the next bus (once you debark).  You are generally going to pay around $30 (for one day) to use the HoHo.  Public transit costs a small fraction of that price and even a taxi (to a couple of places) will likely be less money and much faster.  

Hank

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

You're welcome!

Agree with Marazul.

Makes sense to do your most important first, then judge what you can do in the remaining time. 

I wouldn't use the HOHO bus as transportation to visit Sagrada Familia and Park Guell in a day, plus attempt to accomplish everything else on a long wish list. In my opinion, if taxis are plentiful, waiting for buses can waste precious time. Park Guell was unguided so it's easy to lose track of time. We skipped the trails and went directly into the Monumental Zone.

Would be great to fit in at least one of the three loops on the HOHO bus for an overview of the city. Each route takes 2-2.5 hrs without getting off. If skipping one, I'd skip the one along the beach... even though I love beaches.

BTW, we truly enjoyed the walking tour in the Gothic Quarter where we had a personal guide providing historical accounts of what we we saw. The tour would restrict your time as it only runs at certain hours.

We also enjoyed Gaudi's Casa Battló, a short walk from Plaça Catalunya. It's a single crazy-amazing building and appealed to my sense of humour.

Something for everything... tough choices to make. Truth is, it's all amazing!  Enjoy!

Thank you for that itinerary idea! That sounds like the perfect day in the time we have. 

12 hours ago, marazul said:

Wonderful recommendations! Thank you so much for your input! It has been overwhelming planning all of this, specfic routes are helpful!

9 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

I fell short of suggesting missing Park Guell. Thought I might be admonished! It was interesting but not my favourite. As a second Gaudi 'fix' to Sagrada Familia, we thought Casa Batlló was a lot more fun and easier to get to. To us, the park felt like a make-believe land (without a guide). The Gothic Quarter felt real, so well worth the time spent there. I've done the Runner Bean tour twice and hope to do it again this fall.  A little different each time with a different guide.

I only suggest a route on the HOHO for a relatively quick overview, don't get off, time to sit and relax, learn from the English commentary.

Food isn't a priority for us on a port day.  For a quick snack at a café, try patatas bravas and a local drink. (BTW, don't lay your phone or camera down on a table. Don't fret. Just keep your bag in your lap.)

Come back and tell us how your day went! 

I will! We did get the HOHO bus, my mom really wanted to do it. It included tickets to Park Guell but if it is going to eat up a ton of time getting there we will consider skipping it. And yes, we would never leave phones or bags where they could be easily grabbed, thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:08 AM, Adventures ahead said:

You're welcome!

Agree with Marazul.

We’re in Barcelona 2 1/2 days the end of September prior to getting on a Celebrity Reflection cruise which ends in Rome.  We’re staying at the Monument which is not very far from Gaudi's Casa Battló.  Do you recommend a tour for Casa Battle?    On the website they offer a 1 hour visit + 1 hour concert with a drink.  image.thumb.png.4929c7c1faf90140804ef27cbf3b4871.png