Holland 🇳🇱 America 🇺🇸 Has Largest Booking Day In Their History!

JeffElizabeth

5 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

It is a great sales technique, when someone gives a cash deposit even if it is only $2 they are booked on a cruise. And will start planning.

You think?  I think I will book 5 or 6 cruises today, and later decide if I want to keep 1.  That means that other folks who want to go on those cruises might have a problem.  Good plan.  Sound far fetched?  We have met cruisers that boast about doing this..and they do it with higher deposits.  Some HAL cruisers will jump at those $1 deposits to book their favorite cabin on many different cruises.  They will later decide which ones (if any) they will actually take.

Not all of us get carried away with planning.  We have a month long cruise in a few days, that goes to over 20 ports.  We have no excursions, no tours, and no solid plans.  In many cases we will decide what to do when we walk off the ship.  In many cases, our actual plans will be somewhat dependent on the weather and how we feel on a particular day.  Life is good 🙂

Hank

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You think?  I think I will book 5 or 6 cruises today, and later decide if I want to keep 1.  That means that other folks who want to go on those cruises might have a problem.  Good plan.  Sound far fetched?  We have met cruisers that boast about doing this..and they do it with higher deposits.

Hank

Yes I know a few that do that.

But most of us are civilized and only book what we plan on doing no matter what the deposit.  

And no, I didn’t use the $1 deposit.  Very happy with what I have booked so far 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/14/2023 at 12:30 PM, poeticlicensed said:

I was one of the folks who booked with a $1 deposit. Never sailed HAL before, we usually cruise Celebrity. I saw the sale,  saw the itinerary I want, plus throwing in the have it all, the price was very competitive with celebrity. The $1 deposit helped me pull the trigger. 

Interesting.  It looks like if the dollar sale brings in new customers,  it is working. 

My old company used to run special sales during slow periods. They tended to backfire. Instead of buying retail in the next quarter like they normally would, we gave them a discount and lost a future sale. This sale doesn't appear to be doing that. True, I do expect a certain percentage of these deposits to be canceled,  but overall the strategy worked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Interesting.  It looks like if the dollar sale brings in new customers,  it is working. 

My old company used to run special sales during slow periods. They tended to backfire. Instead of buying retail in the next quarter like they normally would, we gave them a discount and lost a future sale. This sale doesn't appear to be doing that. True, I do expect a certain percentage of these deposits to be canceled,  but overall the strategy worked. 

If even a fraction of the bookings that were done by new HAL cruisers ended up cruising and not canceling,  that would be a win for the company. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You think?  I think I will book 5 or 6 cruises today, and later decide if I want to keep 1.  That means that other folks who want to go on those cruises might have a problem.  Good plan.  Sound far fetched?  We have met cruisers that boast about doing this..and they do it with higher deposits.  Some HAL cruisers will jump at those $1 deposits to book their favorite cabin on many different cruises.  They will later decide which ones (if any) they will actually take.

Not all of us get carried away with planning.  We have a month long cruise in a few days, that goes to over 20 ports.  We have no excursions, no tours, and no solid plans.  In many cases we will decide what to do when we walk off the ship.  In many cases, our actual plans will be somewhat dependent on the weather and how we feel on a particular day.  Life is good 🙂

Hank

100 percent that’s going to happen.  

20 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Based on what though?  Not one of us here knows that unless someone works for hal.  Even then, I doubt that.

40 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Based on what though?  Not one of us here knows that unless someone works for hal.  Even then, I doubt that.

I'm sure that the folks at HAL recognize that many people will cancel. People approach planning for a vacation very differently. There are a good number who book last minute while others book as soon as itineraries are released. I doubt that they would have run a promotion if they though they would lose business

33 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

HAL sales analytics certainly does. They would know exactly what the metrics for evaluating the sale is. They would also know how previous sales performed vs the established metrics. They will know exactly how many bookings in the past ended up as fully paid, as well as how many were canceled, but replaced by other bookings as well as those just canceled. They will also know how many new customers it brought in, as well as the scope of abuse, by people booking several, only to cancel them later on.

All the past behavior is known and  the results of any new sale estimated.

Usually with this kind of program if the abuse is excessive then there are ways to put guardrails around the program to moderate the abuse. 

The fact that the programs have not been modified would certainly seem to indicate that they have been successful in meeting previously established metrics.

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

It wasn't?  I booked an aft wrap Neptune Suite for the 2 of us and total deposit was $2.  This is for May 2025 Alaska - hoping the aft wrap neptune will be a big plus during the scenic cruising and Glacier Bay day!  

Sue/WDW1972

$350 aft-wrap NS on NA,.  Now I will say I went the lowest far option vs. the everything included option. That may have been the reason. 

7 minutes ago, ldtr said:

HAL sales analytics certainly does. They would know exactly what the metrics for evaluating the sale is. They would also know how previous sales performed vs the established metrics. They will know exactly how many bookings in the past ended up as fully paid, as well as how many were canceled, but replaced by other bookings as well as those just canceled. They will also know how many new customers it brought in, as well as the scope of abuse, by people booking several, only to cancel them later on.

Usually with this kind of program if the abuse is excessive then there are ways to put guardrails around the program to moderate the abuse. 

The fact that the programs have not been modified would certainly seem to indicate that they have been successful in meeting previously established metrics.

I completely agree that comprehensive sales analytics should be available and would guide the implementation of any new program.

Then I reflect on my observations of the HAL IT department's ability to produce a functional customer-facing website or properly automate other customer-visible business processes. All of a sudden, I'm not persuaded that "big data" is driving these decisions ... 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/14/2023 at 1:30 PM, poeticlicensed said:

I was one of the folks who booked with a $1 deposit. Never sailed HAL before, we usually cruise Celebrity. I saw the sale,  saw the itinerary I want, plus throwing in the have it all, the price was very competitive with celebrity. The $1 deposit helped me pull the trigger. 

Welcome to HAL! I hope you find it to be the best $1 you ever spent. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

It wasn't?  I booked an aft wrap Neptune Suite for the 2 of us and total deposit was $2.  This is for May 2025 Alaska - hoping the aft wrap neptune will be a big plus during the scenic cruising and Glacier Bay day!  

Sue/WDW1972

Best cruise memories I have of AK are from a Neptune aft wrap - congrats and enjoy!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

I completely agree that comprehensive sales analytics should be available and would guide the implementation of any new program.

Then I reflect on my observations of the HAL IT department's ability to produce a functional customer-facing website or properly automate other customer-visible business processes. All of a sudden, I'm not persuaded that "big data" is driving these decisions ... 🍺🥌

Keep in mind that the web site function and the business analytics are usually handled by totally different group. 

One of the biggest issues with customer facing web sites is the large variation in the type and version of both hardware and software that is being used. Write for the new stuff and you break the old stuff 

Couple that with the amount of change that takes place, the interfaces to legacy systems, the often camel like designed by a committee, with a corporate view point that it really should not cost much to maintain makes web sites their own level in Dantes inferno.

With business analytics it is usually pretty simple with modern tools once you build the interfaces to move the data into the appropriate structured in the analytics system. Usually the business analytics team does not have to do much with the classic IT folks once that is done as long as the interfaces do not break. Before I retired I had a BA team working directly for my market research department with a dotted line link to the CIO for coordination purposes.

Of course that is always one of the battles does BA report to the CIO or do they report to the business unit they support.

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

Very well said, 

9 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I'm sure that the folks at HAL recognize that many people will cancel. People approach planning for a vacation very differently. There are a good number who book last minute while others book as soon as itineraries are released. I doubt that they would have run a promotion if they though they would lose business

Lose business? No, they will just have to sell these cabins later (or try to) likely at a much lower rate.  This is all about visuals and how booked up they appear to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

Wow that’s impressive when they can’t even get their website to function properly. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Exactly my thoughs.  Hal’s being given much more credit than they deserve.  Before I get jumped on I do enjoy the product.  Doesn’t mean I have to be blind to everything in the process.

49 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

We never saw the $1 deposit sale when we logged into HAL many days this week- not that it would have made a difference.

It was on the front page of the Canadian site.  Funny that it wasn’t front and centre on the USA site. You definitely didn’t need to log in to see it.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, poeticlicensed said:

You'll be glad you did.

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

We never saw the $1 deposit sale when we logged into HAL many days this week- not that it would have made a difference.

Personally I think the $1 sale wasn't meant for loyal HAL customers.  It was meant to attract passengers from other cruise lines, or even better, people new to cruising.  

The problem for HAL is that regular pax  will now wait for super-deals to make a booking. So, HAL has to oblige in order to fill the bookings. Then, Celebrity takes a shortcut and offers a 40% discount for every cruise, leaving HAL with $1 in deposits and a problem as embarkation day approaches.

I learnt my lesson from my Alaska cruise in spring. After FP, prices collapsed. A Vista Suite was cheaper than my VF booking.

This time, my last minute deal was great. The Vista suite plus double insurance plus $1k of excursion was still slightly cheaper than the regular price. Hope that those who paid the regular price don't hear about this. 😬

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

The problem for HAL is that regular pax  will now wait for super-deals to make a booking. So, HAL has to oblige in order to fill the bookings. Then, Celebrity takes a shortcut and offers a 40% discount for every cruise, leaving HAL with $1 in deposits and a problem as embarkation day approaches.

I learnt my lesson from my Alaska cruise in spring. After FP, prices collapsed. A Vista Suite was cheaper than my VF booking.

This time, my last minute deal was great. The Vista suite plus double insurance plus $1k of excursion was still slightly cheaper than the regular price. Hope that those who paid the regular price don't hear about this. 😬

How is it a super deal?  You still have to pay for it, sometimes its more $ than the day before.  Give me 40 percent off any day.

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Glad it worked out for you 🙂.  I’m glad I didn’t wait to book mine in Europe.  the price is much higher than when I booked (yes, I watch) and we are past FP.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

How is it a super deal?  You still have to pay for it, sometimes its more $ than the day before.  Give me 40 percent off any day.

I'm a regular celebrity cruiser. The 40% off sounds great but they charge so much for their version of the have it all bundle it jacks the price up. And buying the drink package separately is even worse, over $100/day. Part of why I have started looking beyond Celebrity us because the prices seem to have gone crazy lately