Mother (80) Daughter Trip NCL Pearl vs Holland Zaandam Canada New England Aug2023

travelhome

I will be staying with my mom in Boston for the month of August (next month). So I am planning an once-a-life-time mother daughter trip for late August!

This is really last minute and the choices narrow down to the following two below:

$1049pp Inside cabin for NCL Pearl 7 days 8/25 - 9/1 Boston roundtrip, Port of Calls: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island • Sydney, Nova Scotia • Halifax, Nova Scotia • Portland, Maine • Bar Harbor, Maine

$1493pp Oceanview for Holland Zaandam 11 days 8/23 - 9/3 Boston - Montreal one way, Port of Calls: Portland, Maine • St. John, New Brunswick, Canada • Halifax, Nova Scotia • Corner Brook, Newfoundland • Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island • Cruise Gulf Of St. Lawrence • Saguenay, Quebec, Canada • Quebec City, Quebec • Montreal, Quebec

My mom will be turning 80 December this year. She is relatively healthy, mobile and would be happy visiting interesting sites, but we may have to use wheelchair for long walks. 

I would have wanted a Balcony cabin, but at this last minute, Balcony is either not available (Holland) or too expensive ($3199 Pearl). I will just take the lowest cost cabin available and spend $$ elsewhere. I am not familiar with these two ships and these ports. My questions / considerations are:

1. How's NCL Pearl compared with Holland Zaandam, in terms of restaurant choices, senior friendly amenities, activity choices for sea days etc. 

2. How are these itineraries stack against each other, for senior that cannot take too long a walk. 

3. Since Holland Zaandam ship will be Boston-Montreal one way, is it possible to catch the flight to Boston at 8:15am after the ship docks at 7am? If not, we might spend the day tour Montreal and take a later flight back to Boston. But not sure whether we can keep the luggage at the port or somewhere? 

4. Not sure whether the one way trip will be too aggressive and too much of a hassle, compared to the Boston roundtrip one. 

Would really appreciate it if you could share your knowledge about the ships, the itineraries and senior travel. It will actually be my very first time traveling with my mom alone, no kids, no husbands, just two of us! 

Thanks a lot!

Tiffany

Screenshot2023-07-13at9_46_48PM.thumb.png.d7b075a098eb86d52cc7dd27a55e4a7b.png

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 9.46.48 PM.png

Having sailed both I’d take Zaandam. It is a smaller ship than Pearl meaning shorter walks for your mother. Pearl also has much higher passenger capacity than Zaandam so it seems more busy than Zaandam. Zaandam takes 1432 pax whereas Pearl takes 2394.

There are more speciality restaurants on Pearl but they are pricey, you can either go a la carte (easily around $80-$100pp/per meal) or you can get for example a 3 meal (speciality dining) package for around $160 (which is still around $55 pp/per meal). HAL speciality restaurants cost $25-$39 per person per meal. I’ll add below the menu of NCL’s Cagney’s which is equivalent of Pinnacle Grill ($39 per person/per meal) on HAL. What is also nice for HAL is that room service is free whereas NCL charges a delivery fee for room service nowadays (except if you stay in a suite). 

I’m not saying the NCL cruise would be bad but I’d personally choose the HAL one. However it is definitely not possible to catch a flight from Montreal to Boston at 8:15am if the ship docks at 7am. The earliest flight out that you’d be able to catch is around noon. You need to be at the airport around 2,5-3 hours before the flight departs and if the ship docks at 7am the earliest you are out of the ship is most likely around 8am. Then transfer to the airport. So look for a flight around noon earliest. If your flight would leave later in the afternoon or even in the evening it is good to know that HAL usually has post cruise excursions available where they spend 3-4 hours sightseeing in the city and then take you to the airport. Your luggage will be securely stored inside the excursion bus so you do not need to worry about them.

IMG_9461.jpeg

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

We were on the Pearl last summer (Bermuda).  We were very happy with the service, food & shows.  Not as large as the other NCL ships.

I would choose a RT over a one way air return just for convenience.  

I cannot comment on HAL as I've never been.

Round trip from Boston would be so much easier than having to fly back to Boston. The Pearl is a nice ship, and not too big. We have been on it twice. I have not been on Holland America yet (going on Rotterdam in the fall) , but the Boston to Boston cruises are the least stressful cruises for any one who lives in the Boston area.

The Pearl is a beautiful ship but larger than the Zaandam.  HAL would definitely be more suited to your mom and I think that itinerary is far superior.  But either do a later flight or fly out the next day.  Chances are incredibly high that you'd miss an 8:15am flight.

• Like 1

Never been on the Pearl, but have done the Zaandam. Will be platinum on NCL after cruise this month and am 3 star on HAL. In my mid-60s and like both for different reasons. Am doing NCL next because going with my 14 yr old grandson.

I would vote for the Zaandam. Although the convenience of going to/from Boston is a plus, the HAL cruise is longer, smaller ship and has OV. If you like to have more than a couple drinks per day, the NCL cruise might be better for you - more of a party atmosphere. HAL is more laid back and relaxed.

Everyone is different, but at 80 your mom would have the security of flying with you helping her. My mom at 86 still flies on her own, but does appreciate when one of "us girls" is with to help with luggage, tickets, etc.

We did this Pearl cruise last October, same itinerary.

Here are some considerations for your mother, but note there are always mobility assisted options at each port.

We we were somewhat disappointed because of the following.

The remains of a hurricane had hit the area 3 weeks before, most of the leaves were gone meaning very little fall colors.  (not anyone's fault, obviously)

Charlottetown: We enjoyed it because there was a delayed (from the storm) fall festival in the main street.  Lots of booths, etc, but also kept us from hitting the historic pubs due to wait times.  Main issue was the dock is at an odd height, couldn't use regular ship gangways.  Instead a single, narrow, steep local gangway was used, causing very long waits to get on-off the ship.  Too steep for walkers, most elderly where in wheel chairs, that backed down slowly.  Then chairs had to be returned against the flow for the next use.  The port area requires some walking to get through the obligatory shopping area to a city street.  I don't recall a HoHo tour there. To the heart of town is yet another 1/2 mile or so, with a nice park along the way.   Anne of the Green Gables seemed to be the main attraction, and those tours sold out quickly. 

Sydney:  We did a nice bus tour through the area along their nice lake.  Reminded us of NY finger lakes region.  Small recreated Scottish village was the only stopping point for some history and pictures.  Sydney dock area is nice, BUT, downtown was completely torn up for major street overhaul.  Nothing was open.  I just checked and situation is slightly better, but still lots of construction and streets not paved yet.  But you do get to see the worlds largest violin.

Halifax:  A very good HoHo tour which would have been better if not for Mr. Weather ordering serious fog starting about 15 feet above ground.  No reason to Hop Off, really.  Port area is very nice, and the there are dining options a few blocks away.  Very nice brew pub across the street from the ship.  As the fog lifted later in the day, we finally had some sun and got to see the town.

Portland:  Mr. Weather was mad at us, as it was raining steadily all day there.  Many tours were canceled.  There is a small tourist rail at the port, but it was closed.  We stayed in the older town area and slogged around the narrow streets and finding pubs to relax in.  Many stayed on the ship or returned very early.  We came prepared with rain coats and umbrellas. 

Bar Harbor:  Mr. Weather again teased us, great sunny morning, but forecast high winds for the afternoon made the captain decide not to stop.  This is a tender port, and maybe they aren't allowed to stop there this year?  Anyhow, we ended up with a great day at sea, then turned back toward Boston, with 50 mph winds hitting us by sunset.  The captain made the right decision.

Given all of that...I would recommend the HAL tour.     

Not knowing if you prefer nature or city tours, that one has enough to offer of both.

I assume you can have a weekend trip tp Portland any time.  Quebec and Montreal have lots of architecture and history to make things interesting.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's warm assistance! I eventually booked the NCL Boston roundtrip cruise with my mom, due to availability. Really appreciate all your wonderful notes and tips here. I may sail on HAL one day! 

For many who had experience with this New England / Canada route, please take a look at the draft activities I put together. I avoid long walk tours and lean toward sit down drive around tours. 

Port1: Sunday 8/27 Charlottetown  $52/pp 2.5hr

Charlottetown Pedal Pub Crawl 2023 (viator.com)

Port2: Monday 8/28 Sydney

Small city, just walk a bit along Esplanade street and back to ship

Port3: Tuesday 8/29 Halifax  $47/pp 1hr

Halifax Harbour Hopper Sightseeing Tour by Land and Sea 2023 (viator.com)

Port4: Wed 8/30 Portland, ME $40/pp 105min

Cruise Ship Passengers - Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours — Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours

Port5: Thur 8/31 Bar Harbor, ME $58/pp 2.5hr

Acadia National Park Tours | Oli’s Trolley (olistrolley.com)

Please let me know if there is anything I should pay special attention to or whether there are very long walks to get to those tours. My mom should be able to walk for 15-20min on flat terrain before needing some rest. 

Two days to go and fingers crossed that the weather will be cooperating for our journey! 

10 hours ago, travelhome said:

Thanks for everyone's warm assistance! I eventually booked the NCL Boston roundtrip cruise with my mom, due to availability. Really appreciate all your wonderful notes and tips here. I may sail on HAL one day! 

For many who had experience with this New England / Canada route, please take a look at the draft activities I put together. I avoid long walk tours and lean toward sit down drive around tours. 

Port1: Sunday 8/27 Charlottetown  $52/pp 2.5hr

Charlottetown Pedal Pub Crawl 2023 (viator.com)

Port2: Monday 8/28 Sydney

Small city, just walk a bit along Esplanade street and back to ship

Port3: Tuesday 8/29 Halifax  $47/pp 1hr

Halifax Harbour Hopper Sightseeing Tour by Land and Sea 2023 (viator.com)

Port4: Wed 8/30 Portland, ME $40/pp 105min

Cruise Ship Passengers - Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours — Portland Discovery Land & Sea Tours

Port5: Thur 8/31 Bar Harbor, ME $58/pp 2.5hr

Acadia National Park Tours | Oli’s Trolley (olistrolley.com)

Please let me know if there is anything I should pay special attention to or whether there are very long walks to get to those tours. My mom should be able to walk for 15-20min on flat terrain before needing some rest. 

Two days to go and fingers crossed that the weather will be cooperating for our journey! 

Port 1  You pedal and drink beer.  Of course you don't have to do either if enough people are doing it for you.  2 or 3 nice historic churches and 2 or 3 nice older pubs in town.  Viator will pick you up outside the port building, so maybe 300 yards of flat walking once off the ship.

Port 2  The area along the dock has small shops, and the walk along the coast is fairly flat.  The town main street is an up hill walk, but again, the construction is still on going.

Port 3  Sounds like the tour we did and we liked it. A sunny day will make it even nicer.  They pick you up near the dock.  Recommend going to the Triangle Pub afterwards if you want some more lobster or fish and chips.  There will probably be another ship in port at the same time, so dockside shops can get crowded.

Port 4  Sorry can't say.

Port 5  Sorry can't say.