Shoes in Europe

Lalof

On 7/14/2023 at 11:08 AM, cruisemom42 said:

With regard to what kind of shoes to wear, my contributions would be to find shoes that have a somewhat rigid but padded sole to help you avoid stone bruises from walking on cobblestones (common in many European cities, particularly in the older and more touristed areas). My son wore his regular sneakers and got a stone bruise on Day 2 of an Italian land trip that plagued him for the next week. 

Thanks CM--I wish I had read this before we went to Dublin and I read that we should wear a shoe with 'strong support and good soles', like Merrills. I wore my Merrills and promptly got a bruise on my foot that haunted me the rest of the trip. We couldn't walk as much in London as a result, and that was a week later. A little different than your son's experience, so it may come down to the advice we see most often--wear a shoe that is comfortable for you

From now on, I am wearing my good tennies--breathable, good grippy sole and soft enough to manage the cobbles. Just tried this out in the Galapagos and I am so glad I wore sneakers and not Merrills.

But, I completely agree that you want to avoid bruising your foot on the cobbles 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:15 PM, slidergirl said:

She takes her Hoka sneaks and Keen hiking shoes.  Took her Merrill boots last year but decided she didn’t need them.

Merrill Moabs come in low (hiking shoe) and mid (boot) height versions. Their wides were a better fit for me than the Keens I tried on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Merrill Moabs come in low (hiking shoe) and mid (boot) height versions. Their wides were a better fit for me than the Keens I tried on.

They actually come in a trail runner, too.  I actually have a pair of all 3 - Moab Speed (the runner), Moab 3 low, and Moab 3 mid.    I haven't had a pair of Keens in a couple of years.  My friend wasn't sure what she would really need on the Camino so she chose to take them.  After doing it last year, she knows she won't need them,  

Sneakers are a necessity not a fashion choice for me. I need arch support, cushioning, flexibility and sturdiness. I will take a pair of sandals but will be choosy where I wear them because I forgot about grit and pebbles getting in them like cruisemom said. By the way, my husband works on his feet all day and loves Merrill Moab.

• Thanks 1

Those cobblestones can be brutal when wet!  Saw many people fall in Dubrovnik wearing both sneakers and sandals.  Proceed with caution on them and hold someone’s hand - even if it is a stranger’s 😉

In addition to my sandals, I also wanted a pair of comfortable sneakers. I just bought the TikTok viral Dr. Scholl’s Time Off Platforms. Who would have thought Dr Scholl’s would go viral?? They felt so good walking through the store, with good arch support and insole cushioning. A better test will be wearing them to work after school starts back. Hope they live up to the hype, but couldn’t go wrong for the price. 

IMG_0911.thumb.jpeg.6956b3f832e2f686af8fe904952cd1ae.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 7/30/2023 at 8:32 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

In addition to my sandals, I also wanted a pair of comfortable sneakers. I just bought the TikTok viral Dr. Scholl’s Time Off Platforms. Who would have thought Dr Scholl’s would go viral?? They felt so good walking through the store, with good arch support and insole cushioning. A better test will be wearing them to work after school starts back. Hope they live up to the hype, but couldn’t go wrong for the price. 

IMG_0911.thumb.jpeg.6956b3f832e2f686af8fe904952cd1ae.jpeg

Nice pick with the Dr. Scholl's Time Off Platforms! It's always surprising when comfort goes viral. I've been on the hunt for mens shoes too, and your positive experience makes me curious. Might need to check out options for myself. Thanks for sharing your find!

Edited by myousify8
  • Like 1

Everyone has different concerns but for me I care most about shoes that are comfortable and I won’t regret spending all day hoofing in them, day in and day out.  As long as they are not torn up and not inappropriate  who cares if I look like a tourist, after all I am, LOL