$100,000 for a Bottle of Wine! Just, Why?

On 7/26/2023 at 4:21 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

@Stockjock took the words right out of my mouth. I find that all the Wagner wines have similar notes and a nice finish. I haven’t tried the white. Both Conundrum and Bonanza are currently available at Sams in my area for $20, which is a pretty good price point IMO. 

These are both also available at Costco in my area for $20.  I picked up one of each for a taste...

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, Whinenowine said:

Due to the myriad state laws on the sale of alcohol, the safest way is to consign your wine to an auction house or to a retailer with proper licensing.  I'm sure there are other ways, but none that I can personally vouch for. They'll ask details about when/where you bought the wines (often asking for sales slips) and how the bottles were stored (professional or home cellar are accepted).  I've bought and sold this way for 25yrs.  

Also where is the best place to purchase if you are going to resell?  Does it matter if it is Total Wine,  the NAPA vineyard,  or the grocery store?  

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Also where is the best place to purchase if you are going to resell?  Does it matter if it is Total Wine,  the NAPA vineyard,  or the grocery store?  

Any reputable retailer or winery is fine (save the receipt just in case).  It's not likely the level of wine the auction houses will want are sold at a grocer (but it's happened!).

I like that Precision label but I've not had the wine.

• Like 1

I've never bought a bottle of wine with the intent to resell.  But some of the bottles have gone up so much in value, I'm faced with the dilemma of: "Do I open and drink a $______ bottle of wine or should I sell it?"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I've never bought a bottle of wine with the intent to resell.  But some of the bottles have gone up so much in value, I'm faced with the dilemma of: "Do I open and drink a $______ bottle of wine or should I sell it?"

Ditto--but current pricing is just through the roof insane...some of my bottles have increased 5-10x in value and reached absolute levels I cannot justify.  So do I need a 6pack?  Nah, sell 3 and keep the other 3.  Or maybe sell all 6 and buy 3-4 cases of excellent wine.  Besides, if my DW found out the market value of a bottle I opened (irrespective of what I paid for it)...well, let's just say I'd quickly move from a baritone to a soprano...😳

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Ditto--but current pricing is just through the roof insane...some of my bottles have increased 5-10x in value and reached absolute levels I cannot justify.  So do I need a 6pack?  Nah, sell 3 and keep the other 3.  Or maybe sell all 6 and buy 3-4 cases of excellent wine.  Besides, if my DW found out the market value of a bottle I opened (irrespective of what I paid for it)...well, let's just say I'd quickly move from a baritone to a soprano...😳

I hear you.  But it is a dilemma. 

I feel like Michael Caine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels explaining his wine cellar to Steve Martin.

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, NMTraveller said:

So is Caymus the best red that you can get on board that is sold by the glass?

Quick check on my app for my upcoming cruise ( with Whinenowine, so very excited to sail with a "Celebrity"!) shows that the Caymus red is the most expensive listed red wine by the glass in any venue, including the specialties.

There may be other wines that are not listed on the app that are available ( hope so !).

The "best" red wine is in the taste of the beholder. I like Caymus. I also liked several of the listed red wine on the app when I was on the Silhouette TA in April. Would strongly suggest trying other red wines to see what you like.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

Quick check on my app for my upcoming cruise ( with Whinenowine, so very excited to sail with a "Celebrity"!) shows that the Caymus red is the most expensive listed red wine by the glass in any venue, including the specialties.

Wait, @padgman1--you're on the Edge next month? 

3 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

No, on the Solstice in September going to Hawaii....you are on that cruise, aren't you ?

I wish, but alas no.  We're on the Edge Barcelona closed loop in a few weeks.  Here's to hoping both ships have a healthy stock of good bourbon and wine.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I wish, but alas no.  We're on the Edge Barcelona closed loop in a few weeks.  Here's to hoping both ships have a healthy stock of good bourbon and wine.

w I can tell you that if The Reflection, in a few weeks, does not have a healthy stock of good bourbon and wine, it will make world wide news... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do the specialty restaurants have different wines by the glass outside of the typical ones available in the MDRs and bars? In particular, it looks from the app that Le Voyage on the Beyond has a really extensive wine list for bottles, but they didn’t list wines by the glass that I could see. I’d love to have access to premium wines by the glass, even if they would be an up charge over the premium beverage package included amounts. 

4 hours ago, padgman1 said:

No, on the Solstice in September going to Hawaii....you are on that cruise, aren't you ?

4 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

@padgman1 was expecting @Whinenowine on the Solstice, but is getting me instead.  

Kinda lile expecting Caymus, but getting Two Buck Chuck.

😜😜 😜😜 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MamaFej said:

@padgman1 was expecting @Whinenowine on the Solstice, but is getting me instead.  

Kinda lile expecting Caymus, but getting Two Buck Chuck.

😜😜 😜😜 

Nah, I think it's the opposite, Mama!  I'm the Mad Dog 20/20 to your Two Buck Chuck, you're still a few notches up...😇

49 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Nah, I think it's the opposite, Mama!  I'm the Mad Dog 20/20 to your Two Buck Chuck, you're still a few notches up...😇

I'm not familiar with Mad Dog 20/20, but  I made a mistake, anyway.

I just saw Solstice, Hawaii, and September and got excited. I'm actually going to Hawaii in September to board the Solstice for a cruise to Sydney, not sailing to Hawaii.🤦🏽‍♀️

14 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm not familiar with Mad Dog 20/20, but  I made a mistake, anyway.

I just saw Solstice, Hawaii, and September and got excited. I'm actually going to Hawaii in September to board the Solstice for a cruise to Sydney, not sailing to Hawaii.🤦🏽‍♀️

Mamafej, DW and I will be meeting Aussie friends boarding the Solstice to go back to Sydney, maybe we will see you as well !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

I was poking around the app and got curious to find out what the most expensive bottle of wine that Celebrity had listed on their app.  To my surprise, I found a "Liber Pater 'Bordeaux'" for $100,000.  I found it in the Luminae wine menu, 🙄 figures.  It's crazy to think that there's even the potential to have folks onboard that have that kind of money to drop $100k on a single bottle of wine.  You'd be hard pressed to find a Celebrity cruise where you'd pay over $100k for the topmost suite.

This left me thinking, do they automatically tack gratuity on the bottle so then it becomes a $120k bottle of wine?  That would be a very nice tip 😅  But along the same lines, I would feel ashamed spending that kind of money on a single bottle of wine knowing how little the onboard staff get paid to provide the service during the cruise.  It's like taking a $100,000 bill and burning it right in front of them just because you can.  To me, that's insensible, but maybe I'm being unnecessarily empathetic. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4c7a4613169824a76439420146bf2d23.jpeg

Ok first, I agree tat is crazy.  I would figure that someone who would pay that for a bottle would be sailing Viking, Seabourn etc 🙂.  That damn bottle of wine better cause continuous orgasms for at least an hour after I finish consuming it!! 🙂 hahaha

• Haha 1