Dawn's New York run coming to end......

Rilaxmom19

For a April Fool joke!

Cheers,

Norman

The real news on the CC report

Norwegian Pearl, slated for release next February, will actually be early -- by almost three months! The ship will now be delivered from the shipyard on November 28 and head straight to Miami, where it will offer a nine-night/five-night split itinerary schedule throughout the winter. On the longer trip Norwegian Pearl heads to the Southern Caribbean. On the five-nighter, the ship will visit the Western Caribbean. Norwegian Pearl will spend summer 2007 in Alaska, joining

Norwegian Pearl, slated for release next February, will actually be early -- by almost three months! The ship will now be delivered from the shipyard on November 28 and head straight to Miami, where it will offer a nine-night/five-night split itinerary schedule throughout the winter. On the longer trip Norwegian Pearl heads to the Southern Caribbean. On the five-nighter, the ship will visit the Western Caribbean. Norwegian Pearl will spend summer 2007 in Alaska, joining

Nah...the real news was that NCL will update its website in the FALL!!!!!

I wonder when we'll be able to book the 9-night for the Pearl. I sailed a 9-night Souther route on the Spirit in Feb. 05, and it was outstanding. I hope they release the booking info soon.

I was telling DW over the radio about this (news of new ship and name, etc.) and she thought I was making the name up. We got cut off and resumed the discussion over dinner that evening. She says "No way they're calling the ship Joe!" I about choked on my steak. :D She thought I said Joe. Now that's pretty funny. :)

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. Perhaps a name pool should be published like hurricanes.

I wonder when we'll be able to book the 9-night for the Pearl. I sailed a 9-night Souther route on the Spirit in Feb. 05, and it was outstanding. I hope they release the booking info soon.

That would get me off the Dawn next Feb. I might even fly in winter:eek:

That would get me off the Dawn next Feb. I might even fly in winter:eek:

Yep, I'm with you on that. We are currently looking at the 10-night Eastern or 11-night Southern on the Dawn out of NYC for March 2007, but a 9-night Southern on the Pearl would be extremely tempting. It will be interesting to see where they price it...it could well end up that a 10 or 11 night on the Dawn will be cheaper than the 9-night on the Pearl. So many choices.......sigh.

When POH is scheduled to arrive at Piney Point?

That'll be worth breaking out some camera gear and getting a few GB worth of photos. :eek:

Cheers,

Norman

No idea but I know when it will dock in NYC for 3 days

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 Event Title: Norwegian Cruise, Pride Of Hawaii

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Arrival:0800

Laying in Berth

Pier Berth

Friday, April 21, 2006

Depart:1700

Pier Berth

Was wondering how you NCL fans feel about the Dawn being replaced? Looks like the Norwegian Gem will replace the Dawn in October 2007.

I don't think many will complain about trading in for a new ship.

-Monte

What about this news?

The delivery of Norwegian Gem in October 2007, a sister to Norwegian Pearl, will mark the end of that series of ships, Norwegian Gem will replace Norwegian Dawn in New York; Dawn will head to Miami.

(Looks like you're correct)

Veitch said that no further newbuilds have been announced and that, as shipyards are full through 2009, there definitely won't be another new addition until 2010 or beyond.

(I've been suggesting that here for months. NCL let RCI book the Aker Finnyards shipyard capable of building giant sized ships)

But the good news is that the company has clear intentions for the creation of a new class of ships. Look for vessels that will, he said, "be significantly bigger. We'll have 10 contemporary Panamax-sized ships [at that point] and we think that's enough."

(Another item I've been suggesting that NCL do, build larger ships to compete in larger markets. I also don't think Mr. Veitch can count, yes NCL will have 10 fairly new contemporary ships, but only 6 will be Panamax sized. 4 of these are significantly (10,000 to 15,000 GRT smaller than Panamax, POAloha, Sun, Spirit, and POAmerica. All 4 by the way, NCL inheritied from other cruise lines in one way or another.)

Norwegian Pearl will spend summer 2007 in Alaska, joining Norwegian Sun and Norwegian Star.

(Another one of my correct suggestions)

The company is experimenting with an upgrade in bedding. The test effort is currently taking place on Norwegian Spirit. The tests are being conducted in cabins in all categories and Manfred Ursprunger, the line's hotel management honcho, says that guest feedback will help determine the ifs and hows of a new direction in that arena.

(Looks like NCL listens to passenger complaints after all. That should fix a major complaint by many about the Spirit, although I did enjoy the firm bedding personally)

(What's missing is WHEN exactly are the older ships heading for Star Cruises? Those of us sailing from Honolulu <Wind>, Houston <Dream>, New York City <Crown>, Charleston and Boston <Majesty> would like to know!)

Was wondering how you NCL fans feel about the Dawn being replaced? Looks like the Norwegian Gem will replace the Dawn in October 2007.

I for one will miss the Dawn. If her replacement is like Norwegian Jewel, I will miss the soaring atrium and those glass elevators, the cinema, the indoor lap pool, the stained glass ceiling above Salsa, the ambiance of Impressions and the elegant Venetian dining room. I'm glad I booked her for a final winter cruise in January 2007. Unlike the Jewel, I hope the cigar room will be enclosed on the Norwegian Gem.

I guess they will have to change her Lady Liberty hull art when she goes to Miami?

Am I the only one who will miss the Dawn sailing out of New York? I hope they don't remove those beautiful brass sculptures of the Empire State Building, the Chrysler building and the Brooklyn Bridge on the stairway leading up from Impressions. They should remain there to remind future passengers of Dawn's original home port and her initial success in bringing year round cruising to the New York metro area.

Am I the only one who will miss the Dawn sailing out of New York? I hope they don't remove those beautiful brass sculptures of the Empire State Building, the Chrysler building and the Brooklyn Bridge on the stairway leading up from Impressions. They should remain there to remind future passengers of Dawn's original home port and her initial success in bringing year round cruising to the New York metro area.

Original home port was in fact Miami. My first cruise on the Dawn was from there in Feb 2003.

Dolphins, you wanted new shows. This is one way to get them :D

But I think we should throw a going away party !!!!

No you're not.

Why not keep both? FL has enough ships already.

Oh I have another idea. How about Baltimore? :eek: What's her air draft? We have 186 and 185 feet vertical clearance (CBB and FSK respectively) which unfortunately is a problem. Make Watts Isle a terminal but the landlubbers would not be happy. ahahaha! :D

Norfolk anyone? Move the Carnivore up to Philly. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Archived