Portofino on Liberation Day

jshli

We will be tendering into Portofino on a Celebrity cruise on April 25, 2024  (Liberation Day).  I see conflicting information on whether shops and restaurants in town will be open or closed on that day. I would appreciate any information or opinions. 

16 hours ago, jshli said:

whether shops and restaurants in town will be open or closed on that day. I would appreciate any information or opinions. 

LOL. Given that Portofino is geared more towards high net worth visitors, with prices to match, if shops and restaurants are closed in Portofino that day, you will save multiple $$$s as Portofino is expensive.  It is also really  tiny so not too much time needed there.

Take the public bus, a taxi,  walk, or take the super sceninc 15/20 minute ferry from Portofino across to Santa Margherita, a very pleassant resort town to explore. There are many many more shops, bars, cafes, restaurants there, and assuming that not every single one will be closed, you will find more of a selection at prices lower than the ones in Portofino.

Many previous threads about both Portofino and Santa Margherita to be found using the SEARCH tool under your username. Reading them would give you much information and suggestions. Simply go to the GENERAL Italy Boards forum, (not an individual thread) and insert either Portofino or Santa Margherita into the empty search box under your username, then hit the little spy glass. Repeat the process with the second name.

Portofino will be open on a holiday!   You should also understand that Portofino is a very small town (the actual population is less than 500 souls).  Around the small harbor are a few cafes/restaurants and, as Edinburgher said, everything is somewhat overpriced.  I still remember the first time we drove over to Portofino and saw this gorgeous (and huge) white yacht tied up at the town pier.  As we passed we talked to one of the crew (in starched whites) who told us that Ava Gabor and Debbie Reynolds had charted the yacht for a week.  They had stopped for lunch in town.  One could easily spend 200 Euros on lunch (for two) at a mediocre local cafe.  It is a charming village and we enjoyed hiking up the hill (opposite the harbor) where there is a nice residential area.

Hank