Returned from our 7-day Carnival Vista cruise yesterday. Three of our seven have Covid 🥲

DEBBO1012

Great cruise (my 6th, everyone else’s first), ship, crew, food, entertainment and amazing Cruise Director Leon Smith!  We could not have had any more fun and DH and I are already booked on another cruise in August. 

Covid:  on day 5 my #2 daughter and I both woke up with a scratchy throat and slight headache so took EmergenC and Tylenol thinking it was a cold starting. We all had been taking extra vitamins, D3 and C as a preventive pre cruise. My nose started running so I added Benydryl.  I was still functional, but by day 6, I stayed in bed all day with fever and body aches and started taking an anti viral med our doctor prescribed.  Daughter was still fine, but with basic cold symptoms. Day 7, I was better but took more antiviral meds and we disembarked, flew back then drove home. On the way home, #1 daughter crashed hard with headache, shivering, sore throat and aches which was the first time I wondered if it was Covid. Got home, took the home test, it was positive. Called my daughters and had them take home tests, both positive. They started on antivirals and are feeling better today.  No symptoms on the remaining 4, but all are taking antivirals as a preventive. What I would do differently: start taking antiviral meds as a preventive and use a nasal spray several times a day which kills virus before entering the system. I already use germ gel or wash my hands often. 

It made the end of an otherwise perfect week with kids, their spouses and grandkids kind of suck. Went through all of Covid without getting it so I guess the odds were against me and should have been more proactive. That’s why I posted this. Others in my age group (late 60s) may want to take some extra precautions. The teen grands and two sons in law who work around lots of people are still showing no signs. They must have great immune systems because I roomed with the two teens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DEBBO1012 said:

It made the end of an otherwise perfect week with kids, their spouses and grandkids kind of suck. Went through all of Covid without getting it so I guess the odds were against me and should have been more proactive. That’s why I posted this. Others in my age group (late 60s) may want to take some extra precautions. The teen grands and two sons in law who work around lots of people are still showing no signs. They must have great immune systems because I roomed with the two teens.

Just curious - what was the vaccination status of those who came down with it? 

2 hours ago, Beav1279 said:

Covid will always be around.. just like the flu and the common cold. It can be mild or severe but everyone is going to have the chance to get it. I'm glad to hear y'all are feeling better now!

Everywhere we travel to, we go prepared for whatever, just in case.  First time we have ever had to use any of our supplies…so we were due

• Like 2

Makes sense that more will get it.  Used to be that as soon as you had symptoms you would test for a couple of days and isolate.  Now nobody tests when they have symptoms so therefore there are no precautions taken to prevent spread.  This is a good example of that, symptoms on day 5 but no testing done until arrival home 2-3 days later, therefore no precautions to prevent spread on ship or flight home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We've all been exposed to the virus many times by now; either naturally or via the vaccine. It's fully endemic at this point. Amazing to me how quickly the body adapts when something new shows up as a threat. We're a mere 3+ years out from pandemic and our immune system basically has this handled, just like everything else that's come along over the centuries.

OP, I hope everyone feels better soon! 

• Like 9

Thank you for your responses and we are all much better today.  Just a couple of things…we didn’t test because it felt like a cold. By the time I had more flu like symptoms, I self quarantined and took meds and started feeling better for the trip home. It was during that 3-hour drive home when my other daughter crashed so hard I began to wonder if it was Covid so we tested and were positive. I believe the two preventative measures I mentioned would have kept us from getting sick with any virus since it had worked all through Covid. Hindsight is 20/20 and we will on our next cruise in August.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DEBBO1012 said:

I believe the two preventative measures I mentioned would have kept us from getting sick with any virus since it had worked all through Covid.

15 hours ago, DEBBO1012 said:

What I would do differently: start taking antiviral meds as a preventive and use a nasal spray several times a day which kills virus before entering the system.

what nasal spray kills covid before "it enters the system"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP we had the same thing happen on our recent cruise on the Mardi Gras a couple of weeks ago.  DW and I usually do an anniversary cruise in January (just the two of us) and then a huge family cruise in the summer.  

The last 2 years we've come home from our January cruises just fine but the we've caught COVID on both of the last 2 summer cruises!  We just finished our quarantine yesterday from the most recent one.  

COVID is out here to stay so sometimes it's gonna getcha!  We are vaccinated and twice boosted so we aren't too worried about getting it.  Last summer it hit us both harder that this summer; which it was just like an irritating cold.  Either way, it won't stop us from cruising or anything else we wanna do.  

Happy Cruising all!

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 1

It can definitely sneak up on you. I thought it was my lung problem with just coughing only. Doctor gives me a pack of prednisone and I'm good to go. That was my only symptom. Went to a concert and was unknowingly spreading it. When the prednisone wasn't working, I took the test, and I was positive. I always travel prepared for the situations of cold/allergies/covid. The ships are usually barely stocked or crazy high prices. That's about all we can do.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DEBBO1012 said:

What I would do differently: start taking antiviral meds as a preventive..

Aren't antiviral meds prescription? If so, you'd have to find a doctor to prescribe them as a preventative without even having had an exposure.It doesn't sound like you knew you had an exposure to Covid until you came down with it.

I guess it would be easy to just lie to your doctor and tell them you had a known Covid exposure before the cruise even started to get a prescription from them.

• Like 1

I don’t condone lying to your doctor. Once mine knew I was going on a cruise and the destination, it was an easy decision, lol. I’m doing it again in August when we go to Alaska in a cruise, although not exactly the same exposure rates on that cruise. I’ve taken meds with me for years of RV travel and overseas flights and cruises just in case, but never needed it before. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sammee said:

It can definitely sneak up on you. I thought it was my lung problem with just coughing only. Doctor gives me a pack of prednisone and I'm good to go. That was my only symptom. Went to a concert and was unknowingly spreading it. When the prednisone wasn't working, I took the test, and I was positive. I always travel prepared for the situations of cold/allergies/covid. The ships are usually barely stocked or crazy high prices. That's about all we can do.

Definitely! I take eye meds with me also because I have gotten eye infections in years past before I started bringing my own prescription meds. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DEBBO1012 said:

Definitely! I take eye meds with me also because I have gotten eye infections in years past before I started bringing my own prescription meds. 

Anything that you're prone to getting. I take my bottle of prednisone and print off the daily dosage so I remember the dosage every day if needed. And a bottle of mucinex for cold and cough. Overkill for some, but saved my butt many times.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, sammee said:

Anything that you're prone to getting. I take my bottle of prednisone and print off the daily dosage so I remember the dosage every day if needed. And a bottle of mucinex for cold and cough. Overkill for some, but saved my butt many times.

For sure. We were in a dive cruise once years ago and I got an ear congestion. Ruined my whole trip because as a diver you HAVE to be able to clear your ears and I didn’t have any meds with me to take for it. Ugh!

1 hour ago, DEBBO1012 said:

I don’t condone lying to your doctor. Once mine knew I was going on a cruise and the destination, it was an easy decision, lol. I’m doing it again in August when we go to Alaska in a cruise, although not exactly the same exposure rates on that cruise. I’ve taken meds with me for years of RV travel and overseas flights and cruises just in case, but never needed it before. 

I glad your feeling better, may i ask which. Anti viral you got , i tried to get plaxovid here a d do s were not cooperative.