Claiming cruise cost back after a death of passenger

ace2542

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I board the Borealis tomorrow. My father was supposed to go with me. Can I claim something back from his travel insurane because of his death?

If it was his travel insurance alone and you are not on the same policy, my thoughts are that the insurance company may well deal with his estate regards any refund of the cruise cost, rather than deal with you personally. The first point of call though would be by checking his insurance policy and contacting his insurance company.

If you are administering his estate, that would presumably be easier than having to go through a solicitor/will writers - something I have found a bit difficult in the past as they were very fussy who they did/did not communicate with.   If you are the main beneficiary, it should be straight forward though.  I have not been in that position previously, but did administer my parents estates and had a fair bit of contact with my uncle's will writers regards his estate, when I was just one beneficiary out of seven. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

I agree with others that you need to contact his insurance company. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that his death will be covered. I'm basing that on the presumption that it would have covered him if he was too ill to travel and had to cancel, so would offer cover for the unfortunate circumstances that meant he literally couldnt travel.

My only similarish experience here is making a claim on our own policy when my father in law died, literally on the day we were due to travel. The death of a close relative was clearly covered but our company made us jump through hoops, providing evidence that his death was unexpected. It took several months but eventually they settled.