Viking "Watch Outs"

Selion

On 7/18/2023 at 7:09 PM, longterm said:

I know that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that virtually ALL trip insurers follow the rule that you can't transfer trip insurance from one trip to another if you cancel a trip and then rebook another. 

On the other hand, we booked a Viking British Isles cruise for next summer, then tacked on a Rick Steves Scotland tour that we'll take in the 2 weeks before the cruise. We were able to extend our trip insurance and alter the trip costs to cover the 2-week land trip. So, you can extend your insurance to include more days or higher cost, but you can't transfer it from one trip to another if you cancel the first.

Again, someone will kindly and graciously let me know if I'm wrong. </sarcasm>

I’ll chime in here. I’ve transferred insurance to a new trip, if cancelling the trip outside of any penalties. They have held my premium, with my policy number, and transferred to my new travel details when I have booked something new.

I’ve done this before and after Covid.

I used to buy insurance on insure my trip dot com, but now I use trip insurance store dot com. That latter site has tons of good info, and very personalized service. I always buy insurance that can be added to, as you have already done. Actually, I think that is true for all the companies they recommend.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, May B said:

I’ll chime in here. I’ve transferred insurance to a new trip, if cancelling the trip outside of any penalties. They have held my premium, with my policy number, and transferred to my new travel details when I have booked something new.

I used to buy insurance on insure my trip dot com, but now I use trip insurance store dot com. That latter site has tons of good info, and very personalized service. I always buy insurance that can be added to, as you have already done. Actually, I think that is true for all the companies they recommend.

Likewise.  Not only have we transferred our 3rd party policy (not Viking's) to a new trip, but onc time the new trip was much cheaper and the premium was cheaper, so we got a slight refund.  Note:  Not all insurers do this, so that may be part of the confusion.  You need to check.  It was Steve Dassios at The Trip Insurance Store who helped us out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, May B said:

That's good to know; for our next 3 trips I used the first company on their list (starts with an A).

• Like 1