Canada on Venezia

lin14534

Canada cruise on Venezia leaving 9/16/23 - to get my passport renewed this late will cost around $400 - going to take enhanced license, birth certificate and marriage license - have others used those instead of passport?

The Enhanced Driver's License confusion happens every cruise day in Seattle with Alaska cruises (all of which need to stop/start/end in Canada).  I can't tell you how many passengers from TN, AZ or some other state will point out the "star" on their license and try to tell us that this is all they need to cruise.  As someone who works at the port, it is so sad and frustrating.  Luckily, most of these passengers are able to find someone at home to find the required US birth certificates and electronically sent it to the pier, so they are able to cruise. But. we really do deal with this every single day.

53 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

...Luckily, most of these passengers are able to find someone at home to find the required US birth certificates and electronically sent it to the pier, so they are able to cruise. But. we really do deal with this every single day.

So when using BC, it doesn't have to be an original certified copy, electronic copy is acceptable?

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

So when using BC, it doesn't have to be an original certified copy, electronic copy is acceptable?

The birth certificates are always printed out at the terminal and the copy is given to the passenger after check-in.  The passengers then have a copy of their birth certificate to show the CBP officers on their return from their Alaska cruise.

Honestly, these days well over 90% of passengers are cruising to Alaska with passports.  It make check-in very quick and efficient.

I would not recommend that someone should plan to show up for their cruise with just a picture of the birth certificate on their phone.   Most folks will have their original birth certificate, or a certified copy. 

These BC copies that have been electronically sent that we use for checking in US born passengers  have been vetted and approved by staff in our Document Recovery team

Also, this is what is done in Seattle for our closed loop cruises to Alaska.  I can not speak as to how other ports handle the same situation.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1