Docking Location in New York for Aurora/Arcadia

tring

We are booked on the Aurora cruise visiting NY for three days in September and there is a bit of confusion on our roll call regards the docking location.  I am aware that the port authority in NY has had us down as docking in Manhattan for the three call since at least April and still has.  Another roll call member had emailed P&O guest relations about docking location and has now received a reply to say Aurora will dock in Brooklyn, which comparatively is a big downer for us.  

I am aware that the QM2 docks in NY regularly and is listed for the Brooklyn Terminal for all of her calls.  My thoughts are that is because she will always be on turnaround for some passengers and that terminal seems better set up for that.  My thoughts are the P&O guest services is very possibly run by the same staff as Cunard within Carnival UK, so the member of staff may well have just answered as he/she would have done for a NY call on the QM2.

Has anyone docked at NY  on Arcadia or Aurora for this itinerary, who could tell me where they docked previously or give any other insight to this conflict of information

Barbara

37 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

We docked at pier 72 (next to the intrepid ) on our Arcadia cruise last year , just a steady fifteen minute walk to Times Square

Yes, that is Manhattan cruise terminal (MCT), so looks good, keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks for the reply.

43 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

We docked at pier 72 (next to the intrepid ) on our Arcadia cruise last year , just a steady fifteen minute walk to Times Square

Us too when we were on Aurora (just before covid)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

We are booked on the Aurora cruise visiting NY for three days in September and there is a bit of confusion on our roll call regards the docking location.  I am aware that the port authority in NY has had us down as docking in Manhattan for the three call since at least April and still has.  Another roll call member had emailed P&O guest relations about docking location and has now received a reply to say Aurora will dock in Brooklyn, which comparatively is a big downer for us.  

I am aware that the QM2 docks in NY regularly and is listed for the Brooklyn Terminal for all of her calls.  My thoughts are that is because she will always be on turnaround for some passengers and that terminal seems better set up for that.  My thoughts are the P&O guest services is very possibly run by the same staff as Cunard within Carnival UK, so the member of staff may well have just answered as he/she would have done for a NY call on the QM2.

Has anyone docked at NY  on Arcadia or Aurora for this itinerary, who could tell me where they docked previously or give any other insight to this conflict of information

Barbara

Grrrr.  A downer for us too, if this is correct.  Already have Crown Reserve tickets for the Statue of Liberty, from Battery Park.  Though I think we can still go from the Brooklyn departure quay, but would have to go on to Battery Park to finish our visit.  Need to have a look on the SoL website for further.

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

Aurora is shown at MCT (Manhattan Cruise terminal) 18/09/23 to 20/09/23

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal  has the NYC Ferry  which at Red Hook were you dock at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal , is only a minute walk away.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 1

We've been twice once on Aurora oand once on Arcadia.  Both docked over-night in Manhattan.  That's not to say things can't change but hopefully your original information holds true.  Definitely the preferred berthing as it's an easy walk-off to access the main sights. Good luck that it is Manhattan. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone.  I also popped a question on the ports of call board which covers NY this morning and answers I have received there seem to have removed any possibility of docking in Brooklyn at all.  Looks like wrong info from P&O which tbh I had thought was the case to begin with.

This is my other question with some very knowledgeable answers, including the gem that there is only one docking position at Brooklyn and (as I knew) a ship is docked there for each of our three days:-

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2951848-reliability-of-the-port-authority-schedules-for-new-york/#comment-65759888

6 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Grrrr.  A downer for us too, if this is correct.  Already have Crown Reserve tickets for the Statue of Liberty, from Battery Park.  Though I think we can still go from the Brooklyn departure quay, but would have to go on to Battery Park to finish our visit.  Need to have a look on the SoL website for further.

I think you have now seen my posts and probably the answers given from my link above, so panic over, thankfully.  We are going to hold on a while before buying any tickets, though we would be happy without any SoL access, (other than just strolling around the outside) and those basic tickets still likely to be available much nearer to the day we visit. The story of queues is starting to spook us as well, but will have to make sure we get out early, if we do decide to go.  We are looking at all sorts at present though, making good use of rainy days. 

You would still have needed to go to Battery park to access the boat to actually land at the SoL especially if you already have your tickets from there.   The only other route is from New Jersey, but with different tickets.  A lot more interest in the roll call recently, so worth keeping a close eye on it.

Barbara

• Like 1

Thanks for your research on this Barbara. 

Just been having a look at the Statue City Cruises and realised that I got my Brooklyn mixed up with New Jersey, as no SoL ferries from Brooklyn.  As you say, panic over, as only one ship at a time in Brooklyn. 

Ironically, it looks easier to get to Battery Park from the Brooklyn terminal by public transport than it does from the Manhattan terminal.

• Like 1

Just now, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for your research on this Barbara. 

Just been having a look at the Statue City Cruises and realised that I got my Brooklyn mixed up with New Jersey, as no SoL ferries from Brooklyn.  As you say, panic over, as only one ship at a time in Brooklyn. 

Ironically, it looks easier to get to Battery Park from the Brooklyn terminal by public transport than it does from the Manhattan terminal.

Yes, not that easy from Manhatten.  Taxi seems the best option, but must admit a bit worried we may not find one, though after the first day we will have a much better idea of how everything is there.  We have been trying to get our head around the public transport systems, I am sure they will be OK once we have got into it all, but think I am starting by asking my US born SIL about it all - she described New York as "Fun", but last time they went would have been a few years back, when we were all younger.   Interestingly she also describes Boston as "cold" - I assume that is taking a stance from her professional social worker background.  We will see.

• Like 1

Once you get your head around the fact the subway runs on route numbers and not lines (so each line runs a number of different routes) it is as easy to navigate as the London underground.

Just ensure you use the entrance for the line direction you want as many entrances only serve one platform and entrances for the different platforms may be some distance apart. You then need to check the route number on the train before getting on,

If you want to pay contactless by iphone or android you need the OMNY app.

Taxis are plentiful, but don't expect drivers to have 'the Knowledge'.  You need to tell them the junction you need to be dropped off at, eg 5th and 53rd street as apart from the very popular sights drivers may not know specific buildings, hotels etc 

A great youtube resource for all things NYC is 'Here be Barr'.  I watched most of his vidoes before visiting.  What to see, what to avoid, how transport works etc,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Once you get your head around the fact the subway runs on route numbers and not lines (so each line runs a number of different routes) it is as easy to navigate as the London underground.

Just ensure you use the entrance for the line direction you want as many entrances only serve one platform and entrances for the different platforms may be some distance apart. You then need to check the route number on the train before getting on,

If you want to pay contactless by iphone or android you need the OMNY app.

Taxis are plentiful, but don't expect drivers to have 'the Knowledge'.  You need to tell them the junction you need to be dropped off at, eg 5th and 53rd street as apart from the very popular sights drivers may not know specific buildings, hotels etc 

A great youtube resource for all things NYC is 'Here be Barr'.  I watched most of his vidoes before visiting.  What to see, what to avoid, how transport works etc,

Thanks will look at that.  The problem getting to Battery park for the ferry to SoL is that there is no train station near either point and no direct bus either.  So would need to get two busses or perhaps a bus and train.  If the transport is very regular though, which I suspect it may be, the changes may not be too bad to manage.

14 hours ago, tring said:

Yes, not that easy from Manhatten.  Taxi seems the best option, but must admit a bit worried we may not find one, though after the first day we will have a much better idea of how everything is there.  We have been trying to get our head around the public transport systems, I am sure they will be OK once we have got into it all, but think I am starting by asking my US born SIL about it all - she described New York as "Fun", but last time they went would have been a few years back, when we were all younger.   Interestingly she also describes Boston as "cold" - I assume that is taking a stance from her professional social worker background.  We will see.

One point that may help you decide how to navigate to Battery Park ,on our visit taxis were virtually non existent at the cruise terminal and some people had to head up to the tourist areas to hail one, we also attempted to get one back to the ship from Times Square as our companions are a little less mobile, at around midnight and none would take us there,  presumably because they knew it would be a one way fare with no chance of picking up a return  fare from the terminal . Also been to Boston and it is a beautiful city, almost a smaller version of NYC , however you get around I'm sure you will have a wonderful time , plan wisely and you can see most of the top sights within your shore time 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

One point that may help you decide how to navigate to Battery Park ,on our visit taxis were virtually non existent at the cruise terminal and some people had to head up to the tourist areas to hail one, we also attempted to get one back to the ship from Times Square as our companions are a little less mobile, at around midnight and none would take us there,  presumably because they knew it would be a one way fare with no chance of picking up a return  fare from the terminal . Also been to Boston and it is a beautiful city, almost a smaller version of NYC , however you get around I'm sure you will have a wonderful time , plan wisely and you can see most of the top sights within your shore time 👍 

That is extremely useful to know.  Thanks a lot for your post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Don't forget you can use Uber - very reliable in the US.

Thanks.  We would not normally have internet on our phone, do you know if we could buy a SIM card in the US to include internet?

Edited by tring

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks.  We would not normally have internet on our phone, do you know if we could buy a SIM card in the US to include internet?

I buy one in advance.

https://www.easysim.global/destination/united-states-of-america/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2eilBhCCARIsAG0Pf8tlxYHLE0NvQN3-ltzbNoF8IsYoDkNghhFW9flh3BkkspmMWkc9us8aAnAGEALw_wcB

Recently I actually forgot my old phone and organised a 24 hour access on my own phone with EE. That only cost me £5.00 for 500mb for the day which was ample for what I needed - I just switched off my wifi after I'd used Uber or looked up a place of interest.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks will look at that.  The problem getting to Battery park for the ferry to SoL is that there is no train station near either point and no direct bus either.  So would need to get two busses or perhaps a bus and train.  If the transport is very regular though, which I suspect it may be, the changes may not be too bad to manage.

If you have good mobility nowhere in Manhattan is that far from a subway station.  We took the subway to just outside Battery Park to get the Staten Island Ferry,

Walking is also a good way to see NY life and its difficult to get lost in the grid system of midtown and above,

We estimated we walked about 30 miles over a 5 day stay!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

If you have good mobility nowhere in Manhattan is that far from a subway station.  We took the subway to just outside Battery Park to get the Staten Island Ferry,

Walking is also a good way to see NY life and its difficult to get lost in the grid system of midtown and above,

We estimated we walked about 30 miles over a 5 day stay!

Thanks, we are not disabled but do not walk that far these days.  DH would be ok, but I would be the little old woman tagging behind 🙂

Seriously, we could manage a fair bit done slowly, bit by bit as long as there are cafes to pop into along the way, which I assume there.  We do tend to spend a lot of time on foot in ports, but after a couple of consecutive days my joints can just cease up altogether, so we will need to pace ourselves.  Can probably get to the nearest subway stations.  We had been looking at the buses, but bit worried we could get stuck in traffic, so probably best to keep to the subway most of the time.  Fancy a few ferry rides as well and possibly one of the circle line narrated boat trips.

On 7/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, LifeonMars said:

https://nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/schedule-mct/

Aurora is shown at MCT (Manhattan Cruise terminal) 18/09/23 to 20/09/23

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal  has the NYC Ferry  which at Red Hook were you dock at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal , is only a minute walk away.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

The Red Hook ferry is extremely busy when a ship is in port. The ferry isn’t very big. Last year we queued for an hour to get the ferry from Brooklyn and nearly 2 hours in a queue to get back which was made worse by people ‘pushing in’  😡. Never again!

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:29 PM, tring said:

Thanks, we are not disabled but do not walk that far these days.  DH would be ok, but I would be the little old woman tagging behind 🙂

Seriously, we could manage a fair bit done slowly, bit by bit as long as there are cafes to pop into along the way, which I assume there.  We do tend to spend a lot of time on foot in ports, but after a couple of consecutive days my joints can just cease up altogether, so we will need to pace ourselves.  Can probably get to the nearest subway stations.  We had been looking at the buses, but bit worried we could get stuck in traffic, so probably best to keep to the subway most of the time.  Fancy a few ferry rides as well and possibly one of the circle line narrated boat trips.

We did the circle line circumnavigation of Manhattan Island which I think is where the name came from over thirty years ago, very good, none stop commentary full of useful practical information. Suggest if you do this trip do it early on due to the useful information given, of course thing may have since changed and others may advise. In NYC 2018 for two days docked at Manhattan cruise terminal, bought a two day Big Bus HOHO ticket a two day ticket is greater value that one day one and a night tour is thrown in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Bill Y said:

We did the circle line circumnavigation of Manhattan Island which I think is where the name came from over thirty years ago, very good, none stop commentary full of useful practical information. Suggest if you do this trip do it early on due to the useful information given, of course thing may have since changed and others may advise. In NYC 2018 for two days docked at Manhattan cruise terminal, bought a two day Big Bus HOHO ticket a two day ticket is greater value that one day one and a night tour is thrown in.

We have been considering that full round trip Circle Line journey, sounds good as well as restful, can I ask if the boat had usable toilets on board?  Regards the HOHO bus, did it get stuck in traffic a lot and did you find you could get back on the bus easily at bus stops?  Sometimes Hoho's can get over crowded and there is not enough space for everyone wanting to get on them, so big queues and very long waits arise. That always makes us a bit wary of booking them.  Also did you get any good views in the dark on the night boat trip?  It seems to be leaving about sunset when we re there in mid September, so we realise will still be light for the first part of the journey and I think it goes south first around the main central city part.

We are scheduled to dock for three full days.

Edited by tring

On 7/21/2023 at 7:29 PM, tring said:

Rome2Rio gives several options to travel to Battery Park from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal but it would appear that most involve an initial walk from the terminal to access a subway, bus stop or ferry port. Quickest is by taxi but probably most expensive and as said above you may still have to walk a bit to find an area where there are taxis available.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Manhattan-Cruise-Terminal/Battery-Park-City#r/Ferry

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 8:51 AM, tring said:

We have been considering that full round trip Circle Line journey, sounds good as well as restful, can I ask if the boat had usable toilets on board?  Regards the HOHO bus, did it get stuck in traffic a lot and did you find you could get back on the bus easily at bus stops?  Sometimes Hoho's can get over crowded and there is not enough space for everyone wanting to get on them, so big queues and very long waits arise. That always makes us a bit wary of booking them.  Also did you get any good views in the dark on the night boat trip?  It seems to be leaving about sunset when we re there in mid September, so we realise will still be light for the first part of the journey and I think it goes south first around the main central city part.

We are scheduled to dock for three full days.

Cannot remember using the toilets and it was nearly 35 years ago,

Regarding Big Bus, in 2018, we did not have any problem getting on  but it was September one of the routes was disrupted as Trump was in town. The night tour that was included with the two day ticket was a bus tour that crossed to Brooklyn to view Manhattan from there. It would appear that Big Bus no longer includes the night tour or may not do it in the summer. Other HOHO operators may offer packages.

We were only in NYC for two days sailing out after dark, a good view of Manhattan at night from the Hudson river.

P1060044.JPG

P1060056.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Cannot remember using the toilets and it was nearly 35 years ago,

Regarding Big Bus, in 2018, we did not have any problem getting on  but it was September one of the routes was disrupted as Trump was in town. The night tour that was included with the two day ticket was a bus tour that crossed to Brooklyn to view Manhattan from there. It would appear that Big Bus no longer includes the night tour or may not do it in the summer. Other HOHO operators may offer packages.

We were only in NYC for two days sailing out after dark, a good view of Manhattan at night from the Hudson river.

P1060044.JPG

P1060056.JPG

Thanks for the reply and the pictures, which are good.  

We will be docked from the 18, 19, and  20th September when sunset will be 7pm and we sail out at 6pm.  All sorts of options for might viewing though and at present we keep changing our minds about what to do, may just take the tube and ferry to Brooklyn and perhaps other ferries.  Will do the 2.5 Circle line cruise though the first morning as that sounds good.