Cruising Alaska with kids (Koningsdam)? Lots of logistics Q's. Club Orange?

Cheadle_Chick

Hi Everyone, 

This is my first post here but it seems like an excellent resource! We are going to be cruising with our two younger children (3 and almost 6) in September to Alaska. I'm excited but also a wee bit stressed about logistics on some things. We have a balcony room booked with the upper fold away bed and sofa bed. I think it's a Vista Suite? We are cruising with quite a few other family members and several other cousins of similar ages. 

Does anyone have any "must know" tips for cruising with younger kids? What to do, what not to do, tips that might not be well known? Or just what worked well for you. 

I'm curious about the kids club. I've looked online and the majority of the information out there is pretty limited. I already feel kinda guilty dropping the kids off at a kids club so we can go do some fun things on our own. haha Does anyone know if there are any babysitting services on the ship? 

How about excursions? We were thinking the White Pass Train ride might be fun but it's nearly 3 hours... I think the magic of the train ride might be well worn off after an hour haha. 

Last question (for now haha), Would it be worthwhile for us to get the Club Orange package? Was thinking more about priority boarding and disembarking being really handy. What would your room be upgraded to? I'm not completely understanding what it means to have your room upgraded with that "meta category". I had thought the ability to use the club orange dining room might be handy with the kids but maybe it's not a huge advantage? 

Thanks! 

My nieces and nephews absolutely loved the dog sledding demos and meeting the dogs.  They also liked the lumberjack show.  Those two outings were their favorites. 

at that age I would put them both in the sofa bed, the upper bed might be “scary” unless the older one is the “Robinson Crusoe” type.  

check with guest services about babysitting options for your specific sailing.  They often do have it available for a fee.  

Call the Club Orange number, I am not sure children can participate?

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/contact-us.html

• Like 1

Panning for gold is also a good excursion for that age. My youngest loved kids' clubs at that age. 

The "meta" category is the type of cabin you have. You have a balcony, so you would be upgraded to the highest tier of balcony, not a suite, that is available. 

An excursion that we found was, surprisingly, a highlight jn our Alaska cruise was the Black Bear, Wildlife and Nature Walk from Ketchikan. I'm not sure about how kids would like it, but we saw several black bears pretty close to the boardwalk. And since you're going in September, which is salmon spawning season, your odds of seeing bears might be pretty good (although you never know). But it might conflict with the lumberjack show, and @Mary229is surely correct about that appeal to kids. We were embarking from Vancouver and went to Grouse Mountain the day before the cruise; they have a great lumberjack show there, also.

One of the reasons we went in September was to do the land package to Fairbanks, with the hope of seeing the Aurora Borealis. Since you didn't mention that, my guess is that you're not going, but just wanted to mention that the odds of seeing them in September are decent.,

There is another long thread here about Club Orange that would be worth taking a look at. Many of us encouraged anyone who asked, to consider paying for Club Orange, but I'm also not sure about children or the additional cost with kids.

There is continual commentary on the White Pass Railway journey, so they try to keep you interested.

For your kids, I would skip the White Pass rail excursion.  My kids went on it when they were 8 and 10–slept the whole time!  In Skagway, I would suggest more hands-on activities.  There are a couple of sled dog excursions (puppies!)—one that includes s’mores, another that includes gold panning.  They only last a couple of hours so you could fit in a nap before venturing out later in the afternoon.  If interested, there is a Junior Ranger program at the Klondike State Park.

For Ketchikan, I also strongly recommend the lumberjack show.  It’s corny, cheesy but good fun for kids!  There is also a science discovery center—lots of hands on activities for kids.  We enjoyed visiting it when in town.

You might look into renting a car in Juneau (if you brought or have access to car seats).  We did it when our kids were younger.  After visiting Mendenhall Glacier, we got a picnic lunch, stopped by McDonalds for kids meals and then went to a state park to explore.  Kids loved being able run around and make noise!  We also stopped by a playground before heading back into town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

I'm not completely understanding what it means to have your room upgraded with that "meta category".

Meta category means you must stay within the same stateroom category as originally booked. You can upgrade from the least expensive obstructed Verandah to any Verandah you really want, for example, but only if there some available. You cannot upgrade from a Verandah to a Vista Suite or from an Inside to Ocean View.

2 hours ago, disneyochem said:

For your kids, I would skip the White Pass rail excursion.  My kids went on it when they were 8 and 10–slept the whole time!  In Skagway, I would suggest more hands-on activities.  There are a couple of sled dog excursions (puppies!)—one that includes s’mores, another that includes gold panning.  They only last a couple of hours so you could fit in a nap before venturing out later in the afternoon.  If interested, there is a Junior Ranger program at the Klondike State Park.

For Ketchikan, I also strongly recommend the lumberjack show.  It’s corny, cheesy but good fun for kids!  There is also a science discovery center—lots of hands on activities for kids.  We enjoyed visiting it when in town.

You might look into renting a car in Juneau (if you brought or have access to car seats).  We did it when our kids were younger.  After visiting Mendenhall Glacier, we got a picnic lunch, stopped by McDonalds for kids meals and then went to a state park to explore.  Kids loved being able run around and make noise!  We also stopped by a playground before heading back into town.

I looked at the lumberjack show and thought the same! I bet the kids would enjoy it. 

I'm avoiding bringing car seats at all costs, so probably won't rent a car but that's a really good idea! 

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Meta category means you must stay within the same stateroom category as originally booked. You can upgrade from the least expensive obstructed Verandah to any Verandah you really want, for example, but only if there some available. You cannot upgrade from a Verandah to a Vista Suite or from an Inside to Ocean View.

Gotcha! Thank you! So based on the fact that we are booked in a Vista Suite, what would we be able to upgrade to? Right now I believe we're mid ship on the 6th deck. 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

If you're going to Sitka, the Raptor Rescue Center is another good activity to consider. They have hawks, eagles, etc. My son loved it.  He also enjoyed the lumberjack show and panning for gold.

Thanks! I think we're scheduled for Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. 

9 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Thanks! I think we're scheduled for Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. 

The nature walk I mentioned ends at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary, where you will be a few feet before an eagle (named Sitka) who lives there because he is injured. I try not to promote my YouTube videos here, but if you're interested this one shows our excursions in Alaska, same sites that you're going to. And though I mentioned the railway, I agree that the kids might be bored.

7 hours ago, disneyochem said:

In Skagway, I would suggest more hands-on activities.  There are a couple of sled dog excursions (puppies!)—one that includes s’mores, another that includes gold panning.

I did this (the one with the s’mores) with my 14yo nephew, and it was one of the highlights of the trip for him. There were a lot of kids on that excursion, and they all seemed to have a really good time. 

I also wouldn’t feel guilty about dropping the kids off at the Club HAL kids club, either. That’s what it’s there for, and they’re great with kids. Your kids will likely be bemoaning the time they’re *not* there. 

5 hours ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Gotcha! Thank you! So based on the fact that we are booked in a Vista Suite, what would we be able to upgrade to? Right now I believe we're mid ship on the 6th deck. 

The highest Vista Suite category is AS which is the aft Vista Suite. There ate only a handful of them and they usually sell out early. If an upgrade is not available within your meta category, you get something instead and that something is almost always some onboard credit.

I don't think I saw your ship mentioned. Knowing that will help get you better advice.

I would not wait long before calling to check on Club Orange. It's pretty limited in capacity. For our mid December sailing, CO sold out in May. If you booked through a TA, call them in the morning. Likewise if you booked through Holland America. If you have a PCC, call him or her. If you booked directly through the HAL website, call the number on your confirmation.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy Alaska. There are a lot of cool things to do, even on the ship. We saw orcas a couple of afternoons from the windows of the Ocean Bar. If you are going to Glacier Bay, just being up on the now area and watching the glacier is very cool. You have a decent chance of seeing the glaciers calving on your sailing.

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

The highest Vista Suite category is AS which is the aft Vista Suite. There ate only a handful of them and they usually sell out early. If an upgrade is not available within your meta category, you get something instead and that something is almost always some onboard credit.

I don't think I saw your ship mentioned. Knowing that will help get you better advice.

I would not wait long before calling to check on Club Orange. It's pretty limited in capacity. For our mid December sailing, CO sold out in May. If you booked through a TA, call them in the morning. Likewise if you booked through Holland America. If you have a PCC, call him or her. If you booked directly through the HAL website, call the number on your confirmation.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy Alaska. There are a lot of cool things to do, even on the ship. We saw orcas a couple of afternoons from the windows of the Ocean Bar. If you are going to Glacier Bay, just being up on the now area and watching the glacier is very cool. You have a decent chance of seeing the glaciers calving on your sailing.

Thank you! Lots of great info! We are on the Koningsdam. 

Being on the K'dam you will be able to get pea soup anytime at Grand Dutch Cafe, along with other yummy treats - all no charge.

Pea soup will also be served various locations throughout the ship while you're in Glacier Bay - they'll be listed in the Daily Program. Incredible viewing of Glacier Bay from the Crow's Nest also comes with pea soup.

I am not a fan of pea anything, but HALs pea soup is a real treat. 

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

20230502_103310.jpg

20230502_102536.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads