LIVE Cruzinforpeace*** is Cruising for Peace on The Summit July 23

Having lunch at the White Horse Pub & Restaurant in St. George right by the port on the water.  My husband and I shared the cottage pie and it was really good.  Very cheesy and delicious.  I recommend it👍. Even the birds are loving it!

They have a dance floor I’m assuming for at night and the helpful, friendly waitress pointed out that the original brick floor is from the 1500’s.

IMG_0710.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, I'llGoAnywhere said:

Loved the tour of St George and all the fabulous suggestions. The pictures are just beautiful! Did you walk the entire route from the ferry? 

Mary Ann 

Yes, we walked the whole route.  Our feet are killing us now (we’re back on the Summit now) but it was worth it.  I love the journey sometimes more than the destination.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kathymom34 said:

My daughter and her fiancée are on this same cruise with another couple.  I won't see pics until they get back so I've so enjoyed your photos this week - thank you! 

Oh I hope I haven’t spoiled anything for them (lol).  Try to act surprised when they share their photos🤪

• Haha 1

Here are some other photos of St. George that I took as my battery was dying.  I also went to the Town Hall.  It was founded in 1612 and is still being used for town meetings.  In fact the lady inside told me there was one scheduled tonight.  I also snapped some photos of a photo of the Queen and a letter she sent to Bermuda.  I’m a big fan of “The Crown”

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_0722.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

2023-07-27 17-35.pdf

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***
  • Like 2

What was the name of the hotel near St Catherine’s beach?

Is it rather new?

We enjoyed staying at Elbow Beach and the Fairmont Southampton Princess. 
Unfortunately, both resorts are niw closed.

Can I ask why you said yuck to the hotel.

Glad you enjoyed your Bermuda vacation.

We enjoyed trips there since 1983.

MJ

45 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

What was the name of the hotel near St Catherine’s beach?

Is it rather new?

We enjoyed staying at Elbow Beach and the Fairmont Southampton Princess. 
Unfortunately, both resorts are niw closed.

Can I ask why you said yuck to the hotel.

Glad you enjoyed your Bermuda vacation.

We enjoyed trips there since 1983.

MJ

It’s called the St. Regis.  I said “yuck” because it looks like a hospital or nursing home to me from the outside.  It’s all white, very boxy and institutional looking to me. I spoke with a guest who was staying there and she confirmed it’s nothing “special” and rather plain for the amount of money it costs to stay there. They were building the hotel when we were at that beach in 2019. The WHOLE beach was public back then and so much more beautiful and peaceful.  That adds to my “yuck” factor.  The locals don’t seem to like it much either.  I guess on the other side of the coin it brings money to Bermuda so that’s good.

I just did a mock reservation for 1 night September 1 and it’s quoting me $1,116 for one night.😳. That’s just for the room.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

We honeymooned at the Elbow Beach Resort back in 1973 (just had our 50th anniversary). We were there when hurricane Alice hit, everyone was herded into the foyer and they played bingo and served drinks until the winds ceases. So sad that the resort has closed - so many wonderful memories. 

• Like 1

@Cruzinforpeace*** Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunate that the St Regis does not reflect the charm of Bermuda.

It seems that the modern esthetic for hotels is a minimalist look.

That rate for one night stay there is incredible.

It makes me wonder who the hotel is marketing to for reservations.

It seems that taking a cruise ship to Bermuda is the best way to vacation 

there.

MJ

Edited by MJSailors
  • Like 2

Just now, MJSailors said:

@Cruzinforpeace*** Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunate that the St Regis does not reflect the charm of Bermuda.

It seems that the modern esthetic for hotels is a minimalist look.

That rate for one night stay there is incredible.

It makes me wonder who the hotel is marketing to for reservations.

It seems that taking a cruise ship to Bermuda is the best way to vacation there.

Thank you for your reply.

Absolutely.  Cruising is still the best value for the money.  I felt bad for the hotel guests; it seemed like a waste of money for them.

8 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Our side 

IMG_0673.jpeg

beautiful..

Years and years ago...we stayed at a Holiday Inn  (corner suite) on  top of the big hill overlooking the fort.. great views.

Years later we saw it  was razed..not sure what replaced it?

• Like 1

Has anyone ever seen gnocchi like this?  I’ve never seen it “browned” like this before.  It tastes dry and chewy.  Not a fan.  This is one of the items in the MDR this evening.  Not many choices; tilapia, low end steaks and the like.  I’m going to see if I can get the turkey. Maybe that will be better.🙏

IMG_0730.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Has anyone ever seen gnocchi like this?  I’ve never seen it “browned” like this before.  It tastes dry and chewy.  Not a fan.  This is one of the items in the MDR this evening.  Not many choices; tilapia, low end steaks and the like.  I’m going to see if I can get the turkey. Maybe that will be better.🙏

IMG_0730.jpeg

Maybe the Sea View has some better selections. Nothing sounded good to me - this will be a buffet night for us.

2 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

Maybe the Sea View has some better selections. Nothing sounded good to me - this will be a buffet night for us.

The buffet was a disaster last night.  Nothing looked appetizing.  I ended up eating pizza and a few bites of stir fry and some fruit and cheese.  The food has gotten worse as the cruise has progressed; less choices (especially in the dinner buffet) and very, very salty.  We definitely see a decline in the food and food service.  They seem tremendously understaffed and overwhelmed.  My son didn’t get his drink until the end of the meal the other day.  I asked for ketchup one night and never got it.  We were supposed to be celebrating my birthday (it was the week before) and there was no acknowledgment.  Tonight we decided to just show up for My Time Dining because our regular service has not been too good. Our usual seating is at 5:30pm.  It’s sad to see this happening on X.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

The buffet was a disaster last night.  Nothing looked appetizing.  I ended up eating pizza and a few bites of stir fry and some fruit and cheese.  The food has gotten worse as the cruise has progressed; less choices (especially in the dinner buffet) and very, very salty.  We definitely see a decline in the food and food service.  They seem tremendously understaffed and overwhelmed.  My son didn’t get his drink until the end of the meal the other day.  I asked for ketchup one night and never got it.  We were supposed to be celebrating my birthday (it was the week before) and there was no acknowledgment.  Tonight we decided to just show up for My Time Dining because our regular service has not been too good. Our usual seating is at 5:30pm.  It’s sad to see this happening on X.

I hope that it gets better on your cruise and improves for our Summit cruises in September.

• Like 1