The Future of Half Moon Cay

infopaul

One thing we did notice, however was that the bars had "Westerdam" drinks and "Maasdam" drinks. There were drink menus sitting on the bar and DW ordered some kind of fru-fru drink and then was asked which ship we were on. The bartender said "You can't have that drink...It's only for those on the Maasdam". What? I could not understand how what ship you were on dictated what kind of drink you could order. No one ever gave me a logical explaination of this.

That is really strange. I would be shocked to be told that the same as you were.

We've been on the island at least 5-6 times sharing with another ship and never heard anything like that.

I can't imagine what that was all about.

We've been told that when there are two ships in, one ship handles the food and the other handles bars.

One thing we did notice, however was that the bars had "Westerdam" drinks and "Maasdam" drinks. There were drink menus sitting on the bar and DW ordered some kind of fru-fru drink and then was asked which ship we were on. The bartender said "You can't have that drink...It's only for those on the Maasdam". What? I could not understand how what ship you were on dictated what kind of drink you could order. No one ever gave me a logical explaination of this.

Could that have been a misunderstanding? Maybe passengers on the day of your sailing were offered the opportunity to buy unlimited drink cards for the island? And ... maybe the people on one ship paid more for their cards, but had a more extensive drink menu? Hence, only the passengers on that ship could have the one type of drink, assuming they were going to flash their unlimited drink card for it?

Other than that explanation, I am as baffled as you. Why on earth would HAL care which ship you were on with regard to what drink you wanted to order?

Blue skies ...

--rita

As long as there are only HAL ships there on the same days and the island is not used by Carnival (or any other cruiseline) when there is an HAL ship.....I think it fine.

I can't imagine them ever subjecting HAL cruisers to anything so devious !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Why ? We dont have cooties or anything.

The rental of a Cabana is considered an excursion and they have priority tendering.

In your 'sneaky person' scenario, if that person doesn't go on the shore excursion, they have wasted the price of that excursion.

??Perhaps you consider that price is simply buying a seat on an early tender??

Yes, I do. It would be the price of getting prime real estate on the beach. There are shore excursions that are not very expensive. Most of them are much cheaper than the cabana.

The island is not inhabited. There are no living arrangements on it

The caretakers for the island come over from Eleuthra and return home.

Sail:

I thoght I read in the past that when they brought in the horses and stingrays they also added some living quarters so that the animals had 24 hour caretakers. I can't remember where I saw it though, so I may be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time!).

We must be snakebit as we've been on 5 cruises in the past 6 yrs where we were scheduled to stop at HMC and we've only made it there twice. Missed it just this past Jan on Volendam on a day that didn't appear all that choppy to me... but what do I know?

So while I wouldn't be all that eager to share it with another ship, I'd gladly do that if I could just be assured of actually GETTING there.

Anyone else heard the rumor that now w/ the Carnival clientele, they're replacing the cabanas w/ trailers? *wink*

Hi michmike....... As you know, we were on the January VODM cruise when we got turned away from HMC. It was a bright, sunny day but the chop was high. DH woke, walked out onto the verandah and went back to sleep. He grumbled on his way back to the bed.....TOO choppy; no tenders today. (But I was really hoping he was wrong!!!! :( )

There have been a couple of times when we have been there with another ship.

One time we got there ahead of the other ship and got to the island early. Never had a problem with the drinks. No one said that certain drinks were only for certain ships.

That is a strange one.

But I guess since we don't drink those fru-fru drinks it wasn't a problem for our Tangueray gin and tonics.

Archived