ETIAS Travel authorization (for Europe) starting in 2024

SailorPaulH

16 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Haven't seen this mentioned on the boards. An extra piece of red tape to deal with for US, Canada, Australia and NZ travelers. Cost about US$8 pp. The title of the article is a little over the top:

Major Change for U.S. Tourists: EU to Require Visas in 2024 | Entrepreneur

This has been in the works for some time, but kept getting kicked down the road. Here is the EU official website - even it is still a bit circumspect as to when the ETIAS will come into effect. As you point out, it's not a huge burden even once implemented. 🍺🥌

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias_en 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

As you point out, it's not a huge burden even once implemented.

However the new ESS system that is to be introduced ahead of ETIAS might prove a little problematic

ESS requires that visitors have their photograph and fingerprints taken at the first point of entry into the EU. 

To quote from the ESS website https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/faqs-ees_en 

"If you need a visa to travel to the European countries using the EES, the system will store only your facial image (as your fingerprints have already been registered in the Visa Information System /VIS at the time you applied for a visa).

If you don’t need a visa to travel to the European countries using the EES, the system will store a combination of four of your fingerprints and your facial image."

As I understand it this means that those arriving at their first port of call in Europe, for instance after a transatlantic, will need to be photographed and fingerprinted to add that data into the ESS system before being allowed out of the port. Therefore you won't simply be able to arrive in Europe and walk off the ship as currently, but will need to be processed in person by immigration first.

There are also plans for the UK to introduce a similar system https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electronic-travel-authorisation-eta 

Of course, I can't resist pointing out that this is all very much in line with what those of us visiting the USA have had to deal with in recent years 😁 

• Like 3

I am confused about the ESS vs. ETIAS?

On the ETIAS sites - which has been known for some time - there is no mention of ESS or finger prints, just biometric passport?

Are you suggesting that with this ESS system that my next flight landing in the EU will require me to queue and provide my fingerprints?  This seems a bit backwards, because the quote above mentions finger prints taken at the point of applying for the visa?

I cannot imagine that this ESS system would allow me to board a flight in Canada, travel to the UK and then be denied because there was a problem with my finger prints?

Why is this ESS requirement not tied to the ETIAS and why are they not "talking to each other"?  

This all seems somewhat redundant?

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with the ETIAS and you can all have my finger prints, because I have NEXUS and you have to provide your finger prints and Iris scan to that that card... 

There is nothing hidden by a traveller today anywhere that you go.  Scan that biometric passport and your life is on display for the border agent in any country.

Edited by CDNPolar

The ESS site clearly states that the ESS is currently not in operation.

The ETIAS site claims that it will be in operation in 2024 and we have been expecting this.

This is the first I have heard of the ESS and there is no information on the ESS site when it will be in operation.

Asking again - are these two systems ESS and ETIAS not redundant?

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I am confused about the ESS vs. ETIAS?

You're not the only one 😕 but this website might help a little:

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/key-differences-between-etias-and-ees-2023-06-06_en

15 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Are you suggesting that with this ESS system that my next flight landing in the EU will require me to queue and provide my fingerprints? 

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting once ESS goes live! The EU will need to get those prints and mugshots from you to add to their database. However, on subsequent visits, you will only need to have a valid ETIAS as that will automatically link to the ESS data when you present your passport on entry. 

3 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

The ESS site clearly states that the ESS is currently not in operation.

The ETIAS site claims that it will be in operation in 2024 and we have been expecting this.

This is the first I have heard of the ESS and there is no information on the ESS site when it will be in operation.

Asking again - are these two systems ESS and ETIAS not redundant?

No, they do different things.

ETIAS manages the authorization to enter the EU for those doing so without a visa, and is valid for 3 years at a time.

ESS tracks visitors entering and exiting to ensure they do not overstay, irrespective of whether they enter under a visa or ETIAS.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

However they do say on their site that ESS will be introduced before ETIAS:

ETIAS and the EES will not be launched at the same time. The EES will become operational first and ETIAS will follow a few months after.

The exact dates will be announced by the EU later this year.

I don't think it will be too much of an issue at airports because we are used to queueing at passport control there. It is the extra time needed to process new arrivals through ESS when a ship arrives at any EU port from outside the EU that I am wondering about. 

Edited by photopro2
typo

You can bet Global Entry and Nexus (which only concenrns Mexico and canada) will be near useless.  TSA line preference only.  The new system is just another layer of BS where a whole lot already exists.  As noted above it is basically a tit for tat as the US has caused EU or UK entrants to US considerable delays for prints, scans, etc.   The  part of the new regs that grab me is the innocuous line about "travel history".  Not specified how much travel history.  Could be as simple as where are you coming from.  Nah, too easy.  Last year of travel at least.  And what if you forget that three day to the Bahamas?  I am sure it will be fun.  

• Like 1

Forgive me, I was thinking like a Customs guy.  Much nicer is an alien concept in my experiences with them.  I forgot to mention this will last three years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.  So not an every time thing but still a new layer of something to look at while you wait in line groggy from a long flight. Throw in too many people everywhere you go and we are very grateful for the many years of much less troublesome travel,  

• Like 6

Another interesting article.  The two programs might be uncoupled, and the EES might not start until after the Paris Olympics next summer.  Just hoping nothing before our BIE cruise on May 9.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2023/07/19/new-changes-to-europe-travel-border-plans-etias-and-ees/?sh=2d81bad1c8aa

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

The EES FAQ page alludes to still being able to to use the automated lines at passport control, but they don't say whether you still have to see an agent the first time or not.  I know when we used the automated lines at Munich airport the machines scanned our faces and compared it to the data in our passport chip.  I don't remember whether we had to hold our fingers against a reader;  I  know we've done that somewhere, but it might have been with Global Entry reentering the US.  Do the passport chips hold fingerprint data too?  Maybe the EU will just pull the data from a biometric passport rather than adding yet another delay when trying to make a connection.  That would answer why the web pages stress so much on privacy and data security and so little on how it will work.

26 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We are on WC prior to EU entry and are hoping Viking will take care of it.. Or at least be able to explain it.

We get on Neptune as you get off, I believe.  We were discussing this yesterday on our Roll Call.  I am sure Viking will be all over it.  What I’m not sure of is what happens if you arrive in a Country using ETIAS from a ship rather than an airport.  On our BIA cruise the only country implicated is Norway.  

9 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We get on Neptune as you get off, I believe.  We were discussing this yesterday on our Roll Call.  I am sure Viking will be all over it.  What I’m not sure of is what happens if you arrive in a Country using ETIAS from a ship rather than an airport.  On our BIA cruise the only country implicated is Norway.  

Oh well, been a long time since I have seen the insider of an English Gaol.  I hear all kinds of medical procedures are available at no cost to prisoners.😳

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Oh well, been a long time since I have seen the insider of an English Gaol.  I hear all kinds of medical procedures are available at no cost to prisoners.😳

Well, the Tower of London is just right up the river…

• Haha 1