Cunard cruises vs land based holidays

ballroom-cruisers

If ballroom dancing is the central reason for a holiday, yes of course a land based dancing holiday may suit you better.

But a cruise is not a dancing holiday.  It is a multifaceted holiday,  offering something for everyone,  lectures , entertainment , food and much more. Plus of course a new vista every day. There is nothing comparable on land.

There are of course many fantastic land holidays. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

Right now Cunard cruises still are what we prefer, and although ballroom dancing is our primary enjoyment on holiday of course we love the life at sea, the elegance and environs of the ship, the ports of call, the dining, the theatre, the lack of any need to drive anywhere, and meeting lovely people as part of the experience - but so much will depend on how things change in the coming years. But if ballroom dancing becomes tortuous, then all those other things will not be enough to replace being able to dance as well as enjoy the other lovely aspects of a voyage.

I have been sailing since 1989 across many lines and have seen most (with the exception of Norway coast) of what is worthwhile via a ship. Been there, done that.

We adore land based trips; best trip ever was a Globus tour of Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Next up, next June is a booked 23 day Great Britain tour via Globus followed by a return trip to New York on the QM2. Simply can not wait to go. Land trips, so much scenery, full day of events and places, eating local, authentic food, love it.

Cruising is nice, but repetitive, confined, I feel very processed and have seen plenty of ocean. Add in the constant decline in the product offering, I am increasingly skeptical of the cruise product, regardless of the line.

Was going to book another med cruise - but instead, we are doing a land based, train focused tour with great hotels, well regarded local restaurants and private guides who take us where we want to go. A real visit to the med, not a "day dump" as I call shore excursions.

We have an open mind and will consider both a cruise and land based - but the winning choice is always the one which provides an in depth, local feeling experience.

16 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm curious, what was it that put you off that trip?

I think it was a promo video for the Gold Leaf service. We thought about doing 2 days Vancouver to Banff with an overnight in Kamloops. I vaguely recollect the price of that was more than 10 nights Britannia on Queen Elizabeth before it.  I saw a steward filmed walking through the train offering wine to passengers from what looked like the sort of litre bottles that they serve from in economy on Delta.

I just thought for that sort of money and having travelled such a long way I would expect something better.

The whole trip was going to be complex anyway. Nice-Montreal-Vancouver-QE-Vancouver-Banff-Calgary-Toronto-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-Nice. We always said it would be nice to go back to Alaska but I just can't be bothered with all that travel anymore, and I'd have been away from home far longer than I'd have liked. Much easier to take a flight to Heathrow with taxis at each end and have a fortnight on QM2.

Besides I can see all that scenery on YouTube videos.

22 minutes ago, D&N said:

I think it was a promo video for the Gold Leaf service. We thought about doing 2 days Vancouver to Banff with an overnight in Kamloops. I vaguely recollect the price of that was more than 10 nights Britannia on Queen Elizabeth before it.  I saw a steward filmed walking through the train offering wine to passengers from what looked like the sort of litre bottles that they serve from in economy on Delta.

I just thought for that sort of money and having travelled such a long way I would expect something better.

The whole trip was going to be complex anyway. Nice-Montreal-Vancouver-QE-Vancouver-Banff-Calgary-Toronto-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-Nice. We always said it would be nice to go back to Alaska but I just can't be bothered with all that travel anymore, and I'd have been away from home far longer than I'd have liked. Much easier to take a flight to Heathrow with taxis at each end and have a fortnight on QM2.

Besides I can see all that scenery on YouTube videos.

I thought about that train before my QE Alaska cruise last June, but the price was so high, and another travel option popped up, so I decided against it. With access to several major east-coast airports, my connections wouldn't have been as complicated as yours, but it just looked like too much hassle.

Ohh, now you know the scenery looks better in person! 😜

Interesting the comments on the cross Canada train - The Canadian.

It is fully booked, years in advance, by Europeans mostly.

It is very, very expensive.

Apparently the experience is not what is was - there is much tree growth along the route and the visibility of the landscape is quite diminished. 

Other than The Rocky Mountaineer the rest of that would have been by air or transfers. I originally looked at train all the way to Toronto but it would have taken too long. We'd need 10 nights for QE, and at least 2 pre-cruise in Vancouver to make sure we recovered from jet lag before boarding. Then all the cross country stuff. We wouldn't leave our cats for that long even with live-in sitters and I know after last year that I get homesick for the Cote d'Azur.

If The Cannery in Vancouver still existed we might have made a different decision.

And we'll never get to Niagra either, but I'd rather view a tiny waterfall on a river in Provence as a couple than a huge one that I have to share with 20,000 others.

If you want to see an even more impressive waterfall than Niagara, set off on a trip to central Africa and visit the Victoria Falls, now known as Musi-oa-Tunya (the smoke that thunders). You will find you have lots of space and it is nowhere near as crowded as Niagara! (PS you can't get there on a cruise ship though unless it is mounted on wheels for the 4000 odd miles drive from the nearest ocean!)

@D&N  have you ever been to Iguazu Falls? both sides are amazing, if you enter through Puerto Iguazu in the Argentinian side, or in Foz do Iguazu in Brazil . Both sides have amazing hotels, gorgeous complex up and dow the hills, with ramps or steps, some of them make you feel like you are walking inside a forest, and depending on the time of the year, you rarely will have too many people at any of the many points for viewing, I will try find my EHD with the photos we took of the 1980s trips with my husband to show you, that is a truly spectacular view.

🙂

• Like 1

@MrsPeel55 Not really a continent I've ever had an interest in. Perhaps it would have been nice to cruise round Cape Horn since I've sailed on The Firth of Clyde in a yacht that raced round it. But it comes back to the question of; is it worth the trip? For me it's not.

I discovered a long time ago that the only place I really want to be is a small town pop circa 15,000 on the French Riviera. I just didn't realise until last year that I would get homesick for the place, never ever having felt that way about Scotland. It always felt depressing to go back to Scotland and the only attraction was our cats were there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

This reminds me we once decided to drive along blue ridge parkway, couldn't see anythingfor the trees. Must have been magnificent view back when it was first built. 

FYI, the North Carolina portion of the BR Parkway is significantly more impressive vs. Virginia portion. 

thanks for the link @Windsurfboy I wouldn't consider that type of holiday, we go for (someone said it better than I ever could above in the thread) local history, getting around, local food and activities.... but not just good information, thank you for the link to the site, I didn't know it existed, interesting, run by a Brit woman 🙂 

Had a look at the Heythrop Park website and lots of photos.

Wine list is quite sparse. Menus look a bit British for our tastes. Entertainment probably wouldn't be to our taste either, I don't see much evidence of dancing being available. While I can appreciate a good band or singer I much prefer to be active during the evenings rather than sitting watching.

The writer seems to be trying a bit too hard to compare the place to a cruise. I wonder if that might have anything to do with Warner's CEO having moved there from Cunard/Carnival?

19 hours ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

If you want to see an even more impressive waterfall than Niagara, set off on a trip to central Africa and visit the Victoria Falls, now known as Musi-oa-Tunya (the smoke that thunders). You will find you have lots of space and it is nowhere near as crowded as Niagara! (PS you can't get there on a cruise ship though unless it is mounted on wheels for the 4000 odd miles drive from the nearest ocean!)

No cruise ships. But if you go 50 miles upstream to the Chobe a tributary of the Zambezi you can go on a houseboat.  Had the pleasure of seeing elephants swimming across using trunks as snorkels , with the matriarchs acting as guards keeping crocs away from baby elephants. 

1 hour ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Displaying calorie counts is quite usual in British cafes and restaurants, and hotels, so that people can avoid over-eating.

Good idea in theory,  not sure it's having any affect 

Edited by Windsurfboy

My wife told me that with great authority there is a holiday law that states, "All food when you are on holiday is completely devoid of any calories", which I accept completely as the whole truth. So we eat what we like on holiday but are a little more careful once back home.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

My wife told me that with great authority there is a holiday law that states, "All food when you are on holiday is completely devoid of any calories", which I accept completely as the whole truth. So we eat what we like on holiday but are a little more careful once back home.

I actually lost a couple pounds during our TA, and I ate like a king in PG. I’m still baffled…

Maybe if I did more ballroom dancing I could’ve lost more!

Edited by NE John

We don't really know much about how many calories cause weight gain or loss and probably wouldn't pay attention to them. We stick to mainly low fat foods and avoid things that are processed or contain additives. But the best way to avoid weight gain is not to eat too much.

The other thing that has made a big difference to us is limiting the eating period in the day. Our GP always says not to eat in the evenings. We usually follow her advice on weekdays when we eat between 8am and 3pm. Even at weekends we aim for at least 12 hours fast between days.

On a cruise every day needs to be a weekend.

Liquids are another matter! 🍷