New England and Canada Cruises - Approximate Walking Distance from Ship to Tour Bus

Ambizzle

Hey Everyone 

I’m taking my Dad who’s 73 and slightly mobility restricted on a New England/Canada cruise on the NCL Joy on the 4th September. He can walk, but not for very long distances.

Can anyone who has ever been to either of these ports: Boston, Portland, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Cornerbrook and Quebec City - please let me know long and/or far the walk from the ship to boarding a tour bus is? 

I’m looking at the panoramic tours which I know are limited walking compatible, but I do not know if it’s a tough journey to reach the busses. The last cruise in the Caribbean we did, the walk down the Pier was quite a lot and he may not be able to handle that. 

I’d be very grateful for any information on how these ports are set up. 

Thank you!

I agree with @RN_Prof if your dad's ability to walk is less than the entire length of the ship, and/or if stairs are an issue for him.  However, be aware that if any of your ports utilize tender boats, a scooter might be a problem, so perhaps a wheelchair is best.

• Like 1

i been to a few these ports myself. here is a quick map i draw up to help you with this:

Boston:

Bus area is to the left of the cruise terminal building, off the side kind of like:

image.png.e20aa807b4d7923251debb86e8651f8a.png

Portland:

The gangway can be long. Buses is in the parking lot area near the Visitor center

image.png.de2ec3b4e4e83b0fa86a97a520a4fe20.png

Halifax: Right in front of the terminal building

image.png.7f10ec4f7927842e8acd287f6279269d.png

Sydney: Bus is in the parking lot near the ship

image.png.9d27571f7f070908de358618e7b87aeb.png

Charlottetown: Similar to Portland, Buses is the parking lot near the entrance of the terminal building. can be a long walk

image.png.eedbd561457775a2d5e2a6a7d1e35ba6.png

Edited by shof515
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Excellent birdeye views images from @shof515 - very, very helpful to tell, worth a thousand words ++ each.  That Portland, ME pier has a very long walk (on the Joy last September, done exactly ... by the time we reached the exit / gated entrance, felt like we could use a rest break)  If lucky, maybe it's for one & only (smaller ??) ship, which we did with the Dawn pre-Covid ... able to be berthed next to the terminal building & much shorter walk. 

I believe for Halifax, cruise ship sometimes has to be dock at the industrial pier inside the port (with multiple cruise ships arrival for the day) - requiring a complimentary shuttle ride out to near the bus staging/waiting area - as walking inside the active & busy port facilities aren't allowed for safety and security reasons.  

Concur with @ggTexasGal and @RN_Prof that best option would be to contact NCL Access Desk now and see if they can provide wheelchair assistance - otherwise, consider renting or bringing a lightweight transport wheelchair, etc. to get around.  

Sidenote: one of our SIL will be returning to cruising for the 1st time post-global shutdown as she now adjusted to using a rollator-walker for longer walks, instead of just a walking cane - will be bringing that foldable walker along this September.  Embarkation & disembarkation, already confirmed with Access Desk at NCL to use wheelchair assistance in NY ... otherwise, she is going to be fine getting around the ship.  But, she is going to stay onboard at 2 of the tender ports to relax & enjoy ... probably for our Portland stop as well ... hopefully, will be fine when we dock at the other ports.  She just turned 78 recently, in relative good health & managed to exercise and go to the park for walking - happy to be able to resume cruising and to be on a cruise.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

i been to a few these ports myself. here is a quick map i draw up to help you with this:

Boston:

Bus area is to the left of the cruise terminal building, off the side kind of like:

Portland:

The gangway can be long. Buses is in the parking lot area near the Visitor center

Charlottetown: Similar to Portland, Buses is the parking lot near the entrance of the terminal building. can be a long walk

Well done.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 10:41 AM, shof515 said:

Boston:

Portland:

I am so so so so so so SOOOOOO extremely grateful!!!!!!! 

Thank you x millions! 

This is absolutely perfect. I am eternally indebted. 

I cannot thank you enough!