Hey Steve,

What is the proper way to invoke the CFAR rider on my policy?

Who do I call? When do I call? How do I phrase my call to ensure all parties understand I wish to invoke the CFAR clause of my policy?

If at all possible, please try to break it down for both a policy I may have purchased from you or a 3rd party, and a policy I may have purchased from a cruise line.

My question is for general knowledge. Not a current situation.

I ask because I see certain situations where people here on CC have had a situation where they did cancel, they file a claim that was not a covered incident, but did have CFAR, but also didn't either know that had CFAR or didn't apply CFAR properly.

Thanks

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Hey Steve,

What is the proper way to invoke the CFAR rider on my policy?

Who do I call? When do I call? How do I phrase my call to ensure all parties understand I wish to invoke the CFAR clause of my policy?

If at all possible, please try to break it down for both a policy I may have purchased from you or a 3rd party, and a policy I may have purchased from a cruise line.

My question is for general knowledge. Not a current situation.

I ask because I see certain situations where people here on CC have had a situation where they did cancel, they file a claim that was not a covered incident, but did have CFAR, but also didn't either know that had CFAR or didn't apply CFAR properly.

Thanks

Hi klfrodo,

You will want to cancel all your travel arrangements not less than 48 hours before you're leaving home. Some companies' CFAR plans have other deadlines.

After you have cancelled everything call us or the insurance cmpany to start the claim.

They will ask for a reason you cancelled. If you give a reason other than "I changed my mind", they will process it like any other Trip Cancelaltion claim. If the reason was a covered reason, the claim will be paid according to the policy for up to a 100% reimbursment.

If the reason was not a covered reason, the claim will be paid according to the policy for up to a 75% reimbursment.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 10:10 AM, toolworker said:

So if we cancel the cruise, but keep and use our own arranged air from home to the debark port, CFAR will not pay, correct?

Hi toolworker,

CFAR requires you to cancel all your travel arrangents which means you aren't taking any part of your trip.

Steve Dasseos

I live in New York and the insurance company I have travel insurance through does not offer a CFAR option.  I thought I had read that NYS doesn't consider CFAR to be an 'insurance' product but permits entities to sell CFAR contracts separate and apart from the insurance policy.  In NY, CFAR cannot be added to a policy as a rider.  My question is:  Are there any companies that offer a CFAR as a standalone without purchasing an insurance policy for the same sailing?

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I live in New York and the insurance company I have travel insurance through does not offer a CFAR option.  I thought I had read that NYS doesn't consider CFAR to be an 'insurance' product but permits entities to sell CFAR contracts separate and apart from the insurance policy.  In NY, CFAR cannot be added to a policy as a rider.  My question is:  Are there any companies that offer a CFAR as a standalone without purchasing an insurance policy for the same sailing?

Hi Daniel A,

No, CFAR as a standalone isn't available because it's part of the Trip Cancellation coverage.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 11:43 AM, Daniel A said:

I'm trying to figure this out too. I found this on NCL, but would like more info and am hoping to find someone who actually purchased & used it. image.png.f45a643e6f01c4dfbccd0876870d3f1d.png