Missed Port - Insurance Compensation

Selbourne

30 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There is also the complication of when is a missed port not a missed port, and how will an insurer deal with it. As several ports are now restricting cruise ships for various reasons will insurers pay out, two examples that spring to mind are Amsterdam and Majorca where people were expecting to cruise there but now are not, is that really a missed port in the eyes of an insurer?

We've been with Staysure for the last couple of years.  Whilst with them we've missed several ports for several reasons:

Weather

Port pilots on strike 

Valencia Marathon!

Paid out on each occasion.  Although P & O must have been aware of the Valencia marathon at some point prior to departing Soton, we weren't advised of the change of port call (went to Malaga instead) until embarkation.  Hence the payout.  Presumably, had P&O notified us of the change of port call prior to departure, we wouldn't have been paid.

We will be switching to the Nationwide Flex account for next year.  Total annual fee of £156 plus the cruise cover, pre med conditions and an extension for our Worldie, comes in at how much we paid for our Staysure policy last year which only covered travel for up to 60 days.  Also, as others have mentioned, AA cover - cover comparable to my RAC cover (£250 last year!! 😡).  Also, Staysure only payout £75pp for missed port calls.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There is also the complication of when is a missed port not a missed port, and how will an insurer deal with it. As several ports are now restricting cruise ships for various reasons will insurers pay out, two examples that spring to mind are Amsterdam and Majorca where people were expecting to cruise there but now are not, is that really a missed port in the eyes of an insurer?

It would be interesting to know what happened on Arcadia's 2020 Worldie.  If memory serves me right they had over 30 sea days in a row due to we know what.

50 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

It would be interesting to know what happened on Arcadia's 2020 Worldie.  If memory serves me right they had over 30 sea days in a row due to we know what.

We had friends on that cruise, she said she was happy with here compensation from P&O, she never said how much it was but it paid for a 24 night cruise to Canada in a balcony cabin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

On our recent Britannia cruise we missed a port call (Skagen). It seems that we miss a port on around 1 in every 3 cruises. 

I was on the same cruise, and this is the first time ever out of many cruises that I have missed a port. Either I am lucky or I choose cruises where weather isn't an issue.

We have an annual travel insurance policy with Aviva, which is excellent value at £166 

My insurance is also with Aviva but it is a free policy that comes with the HSBC Premier current account. There are no fees but there is either a minimum income requirement or a minimum amount of investments you need to hold with them.

but I am also aware that some of these policies, especially for people with pre-existing medical conditions, can be very expensive. 

Yes, I looked at the Nationwide Flexplus account but the cost to add existing medical conditions was exorbitant. Whereas the HSBC account has a long and wide ranging list of medical conditions that are accepted with no additional fee.

cruise specific policies provide compensation for missed ports and this is the one thing that our Aviva policy doesn’t cover

Same with my Aviva policy - but as it covers any non-recoverable costs for missed ports and I have managed to avoid any missed ports other than this one, then I can live with that.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We weren’t particularly bothered about missing Skagen as we had been there before and knew that we wouldn’t have been ashore for much more than an hour.

I was disappointed because I have been watching the Danish TV drama 'Seaside Hotel' (streaming on the Channel 4 catch up service All4) that is set just along the coast and where the guests go when they want to go to the 'big town for the nightlife' and wanted to see it!

Edited by 9265359

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Flexplus would not accept a missed port that was know about before departure for whatever reason - 'operational' or otherwise.  It only kicks in after the cruise has departed but would cover weather, mechanical or operational whether that is down to P&O or the port. 

We had a cabin confinement claim last year - 6 days for me and 5 for OH and that was paid @ £150 p.p/ day within days.  Very easy and straight forward on scanning the letters of confirmation from P&O

• Like 2

We took out the cruise cover element (£40 for a year) of our Nationwide Flexplus account last year as we were on Cunard for 29 nights and were more concerned about covid - the confined to cabin element rather than missed ports. As it was, we both had covid and were in the cabin for 6 nights. Nationwide paid up £1800 very quickly, so we booked another cruise! We both have minor medical conditions (a mix of mild asthma, depression, IBS, gout, benign lump) and this year, weren't charged any extra for those conditions. Previously my asthma, gout and lump weren't charged extra but OH was. We've renewed the cruise cover element this year. 

• Like 2