EROSION AT KAANAPALI BEACH

Fouremco

This article is not dated. It is clearly old. There is seasonal erosion at Kaanapali Beach, but the sand returns in the winter months. Last September there was temporary issues with the Kaanapali boardwalk, but all the sand returned and the boardwalk was busy as usual.

Currently there are no significant erosion problems on Kaanapali that I can identify. As you can see from this live webcam, the beach is there. It's double that size in the winter months. Sorry the shot is dark, but it's 7 a.m. in Maui right now. I'll include the webcam link so you can click and see first hand after the sun rises..

Current beach conditions:

image.png.acbda98607e6c73ef5e9ab1599bbff41.png

https://www.mauieldorado.net/Page/25768~436651/

• Like 1

I remember that video from last September. I was concerned because I walk that Kaanapali boardwalk often. But worried for no reason.  I took this video in January 2023. The red arrow is where the web cam is located. You can see that by January the beach was reclaimed and twice the size as it is now.

image.thumb.png.2ed1f27ec239ca2436f51f53467b1d35.png

That is not to say that there isn't erosion concerns on the West Side of Maui, but the article you posted is grossly misleading. The erosion is temporary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2