Shore Things Fraud

RBCal

VV automatically booked a Shore Things tour without my consent.  Luckily my TA caught it.  I'm just warning people to keep a sharp eye on their credit card transactions.  This has never happened to me on other cruiselines.

I'm going to attribute this to human error.  I've never read about it or had it happen on any line including VV, and I'm not sure how or why it happened to you.  Good that you and your TA caught it.

One good thing on VV--while many lines require you to cancel any excursions days before embarkation, VV's cancelation policy is 24 hours before the excursion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RBCal said:

VV automatically booked a Shore Things tour without my consent.  Luckily my TA caught it.  I'm just warning people to keep a sharp eye on their credit card transactions.  This has never happened to me on other cruiselines.

I have never heard of this happening. If this was an issue we would have seen more posts over the 2+ years this forum has been running. Are you certain either you or your cabin mate didn't click one of the Shore Things in the app and make a purchase? 

As others have mentioned it isn't fraud, it's a mistake. We have had drinks and meals put onto our account on other cruise lines. This is why you ALWAYS check your account before leaving the ship to have those issues resolved. This often happens when someone mistakenly, or willingly, gives the wrong cabin number to the server. 

• Like 3

why is the first reaction for some people to think anyone who doesn't join outrage is a shill?. (I've never been on Virgin, I don't make any money for people sailing virgin..but I do have a cruise booked for October to see if its a thing I want to keep doing...and I have an RCI booking for May).

This just sounds like either VV or some other TA assigned a shore thing to that account in error or maybe the computer just derped a transaction...nothing more.  It was fixed.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 6

I don't think anyone here is taking sides.  They are just expressing an opinion that what happened to you is not fraud but rather an error by VV.  You gave VV your credentials including your credit card info.  For some reason, a shore thing was booked on your booking and charged to the card on file.  Your TA saw it and asked you about it and realized it was booked in error.  That was a great catch by the TA, but it would have been caught eventually by you when you checked your app or when you got on board and saw a shore thing was on your schedule. At that time it would have been cancelled and refunded.  

Fraud would be if someone nefariously used your credentials and credit card info from VV to change things for a 3rd party (or themselves), but that's not what happened.  

If VV refused to refund you then that would be a different story, but everyone was made whole and life goes on.  

• Like 4