Ostomy Cruising

RN4Nsy

Hi, 

I have a recent colostomy as of 6/26. Ive been in and out of Hospital ever since for pain. My Cruise is 8/21. I'm learning the care of this thing slowly but surely. Got any tips and tricks? What do you carry your supplies in? I also have CPAP, a Dexcom system and an artificial eye. I rented a scooter for ship because we are at the back of a big one, heading to Alaska. I have a medical tag for the bag I'm putting medical supplies in and I know that bag has to be Medical supplies only and does not count as carry on. I'm nervous. I'm an experienced Cruiser at least.

Do a search for colostomy on this board and you will see posts from other cruisers that might help.

Regarding the scooter, do you have an accessible stateroom or will it fit through your stateroom door?  If you haven't done so already, you will need to advise your cruise line's Access Department about the scooter.  I know most lines have extensions cords and distilled water for a CPAP.    What cruise line??

Thanks for the tips. Yes my scooter is supposed to fit through door. I'm on a wait list for Handicap room if one becomes available. (I rented scooter through Cruise line) I'm traveling on RCCL.

1 hour ago, RN4Nsy said:

I rented scooter through Cruise line.

Just curious how you rented a scooter through cruise line (do you mean through Royal or through the website cruiseline . com ?

In case you haven't already seen it, here is Royal's mobility link:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

On 7/29/2023 at 9:03 PM, RN4Nsy said:

Hi, 

I have a recent colostomy as of 6/26. Ive been in and out of Hospital ever since for pain. My Cruise is 8/21. I'm learning the care of this thing slowly but surely. Got any tips and tricks? What do you carry your supplies in? I also have CPAP, a Dexcom system and an artificial eye. I rented a scooter for ship because we are at the back of a big one, heading to Alaska. I have a medical tag for the bag I'm putting medical supplies in and I know that bag has to be Medical supplies only and does not count as carry on. I'm nervous. I'm an experienced Cruiser at least.

Please send me an e-mail at wendybob8 at gmail dot com.  I have some info for you.