Cps parking (electric charging)

Bin man

How will we all go on at cps when all our cars need electric charging for return home .Might not bother me in my life time although gone hybrid with a year old yaris and loving the test of marks out of a 100 and getting av 72 mpg and even saw 99 mpg on one trip 

• Like 1

I have been driving EV’s since 2015, have two now my original Leaf and a Tesla, we will get on the same as we do with Fossil Fuelled cars and do not see your issue.

I have parked with CPS several times with them.

Edited by Chrisdriving

Given that only 3% of the cars on our roads are EVs and even by the 2030 date (which is bound to be moved out) it is only predicted to be 19%, I think that scenario is many years away but, to answer your question, I guess the same applies to those who have EVs now - you have to make sure that you hand over your car with enough range to get home or plan on a re-charging stop en-route. 

However, if I was the owner of CPS (or any other long stay car park operator for that matter) I would be working up a solution to offer charging - at an exorbitant fee 😂 

• Like 1

Just now, Selbourne said:

Given that only 3% of the cars on our roads are EVs and even by the 2030 date (which is bound to be moved out) it is only predicted to be 19%, I think that scenario is many years away but, to answer your question, I guess the same applies to those who have EVs now - you have to make sure that you hand over your car with enough range to get home or plan on a re-charging stop en-route. 

However, if I was the owner of CPS (or any other long stay car park operator for that matter) I would be working up a solution to offer charging - at an exorbitant fee 😂 

A friend of mine asked this same question last week and as far as I could make out CPS and Parking4Cruises don’t offer a charging option. As you’ve suggested doubtless sooner or later they’ll offer this service at a premium over what it actually will cost them. 

• Like 1

FYI City and Mayflower already have destination chargers, i have used them.

But you just leave the car

with enough charge( or fuel in a Fossil) to get back home or to a charger( petrol station in a fossil) afterwards.

And no the car does not lose any charge of worth while it is sat for several days.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

It's not an issue at present I Guess ,but as more and more vehicles come on stream it may become one who's to say maybe the battery milage will increase and be able to do a round trip of 480 miles in my case 

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

How will we all go on at cps when all our cars need electric charging for return home .Might not bother me in my life time although gone hybrid with a year old yaris and loving the test of marks out of a 100 and getting av 72 mpg and even saw 99 mpg on one trip 

Great to hear how happy you are with your Yaris. I just ordered one on Thursday!

Yes pretty good all round never driven an automatic in 52 years of driving got on with it pretty much straight away that was after realising to put foot on brake to be able to shift gear lever into drive . I did take out a service plan also for the first ever time guaranteeing 2 years service 2 mot and 2 years AA cover gives piece of mind on the battery 

4 hours ago, Bin man said:

How will we all go on at cps when all our cars need electric charging for return home.

You assume *all* the EVs will need charging - well mine doesn't when I drive down there as I did a couple of weeks ago, and I don't live anywhere near Southampton. The range on many of the newer EVs is well over 300 miles.

Then can they cope with those that want that service - well for my December fly cruise out of Gatwick the official airport parking will charge it for you ready to return for a reasonable fee, and if Gatwick can do it then I am sure it is not beyond the capability of CPS to do that.

And then these days there are EV chargers everywhere - just take a look at the next motorway services you pull into, and you will see ranks and ranks of them waiting to be used.

12 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Well last year we always stop at Watford gap and if I remember correctly there were 6 and all taken up by cars will see if they have increased the capacity later on this year 

There are 15 CCS chargers at Watford Gap southbound services, with 10 available to charge at the current time - Electric Highway (gridserve.com) (plus a whole bunch of slower chargers).

5 hours ago, Bin man said:

It's not an issue at present I Guess ,but as more and more vehicles come on stream it may become one who's to say maybe the battery milage will increase and be able to do a round trip of 480 miles in my case 

Will they have diesel pumps ? if not I will need to fill up somewhere else...No change there then.🤣

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Snaxmuppet

Been driving electric cars since 2010 and there are so many "worries" people have about them that are not worries at all.

What will people do? Well, exactly what they do with a petrol car. Turn up, park, cruise, drive home.

It is absolutely no different.

You wouldn't need to charge the car at CPS. No need. And besides... leaving an EV with a full battery for any significant period is not always a good idea (depends on the car though so check your manual).

I charge the car on the way so that I arrive at the port with about 50% full. I charge somewhere convenient on the way (less than 30 min stop normally). That way I am not leaving the car with an empty or full battery. Then when I return I then have a 50% charge which will get me well away from the port before I stop for coffee and a top up to get me home.

Living with an EV is different... sure. It sometimes requires a little bit of extra planning to make it work. But it is by no means an inconvenience given the benefits.