What to see and do in San Diego??

sbaker

We're doing a California coastal cruise in October.  We'll be in San Diego for one day.  Any suggestions for what we should see and do for the day? Are there things to do not too far way from where the ship will be docked?  Is there public transportation or easy ways to get around the area?  

Edited by sbaker

8 minutes ago, sbaker said:

We're doing a California coastal cruise in October.  We'll be in San Diego for one day.  Any suggestions for what we should see and do for the day? Are there things to do not too far way from where the ship will be docked?  Is there public transportation or easy ways to get around the area?  

there is Seaport Village ( shops/restaurants).  You can go walk around GasLamp District.  Go visit one of the California Missions ( it's in Old town).  Go over to Coronado ( Might have a ferry that takes you there) and walk around Hotel Del Coronado ( very Historic 100+ year old hotel).  SeaWorld is a full day event, but I don't think it's close to the cruise terminal.  Its been years since I have been to San Diego.

You can have a nice day right on the Embarcadero by walking a few steps to the Midway aircraft carrier / museum.  
When you’re done there, there are plenty of restaurants with great views and margaritas in Seaport Village, Portside Pier, or Little Italy.  

• Like 1

I would do USS Midway tour first thing in the AM and then do a harbor cruise around the bay (it goes further south than you will see from the ship) or better yet take the commuter ferry over to Coronado Island rent a bike and have lunch.  You could forgo Coronado and the bay cruise and just walk down past Seaport Village, find a place for lunch and enjoy the view.  Only one day I wouldn't waste time traveling to far when there's plenty to do within walking distance of the ship.    

• Like 1

I am from San Diego (live in Los Angeles now) and without knowing what YOU like to do it is difficult to offer a suggestion. The other suggestions are all really good but is there something you like to do? Also, are you renting a car? Times in port? Where are you from (if from California then you might not care to visit beaches but if from out of state you might want to see something you can't see at home).

• Like 2

There are plenty of tours depending on your interest, and otherwise the Little Italy and Gaslamp neighborhoods are within walking distance to the pier, which both have restaurants and shops to browse. The pier area has plenty as well and a nice long walking path around the harbor.  There are also plentiful ferries to Coronado, one-two hour harbor cruises (would recommend for nice narration and views, for reasonable price pp) and other rentals/activities near the cruise ship. USS midway and Maritime museum (collection of retired ships and subs to browse through) are other walkable highlights for inexpensive half day activities.  

• 3 weeks later...

Not knowing what you like, I'll mention a couple of things I like to do (I'm assuming you're staying in a hotel near the cruise terminal).  I like Coronado Island, especially the Hotel del Coronado, where legend has it that Prince Edward first met Wallis Simpson.  It's an easy ferry ride from downtown.  I also like Old Town, which is a short Trolley ride from downtown.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 8:51 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

there is Seaport Village ( shops/restaurants).  You can go walk around GasLamp District.  Go visit one of the California Missions ( it's in Old town).  Go over to Coronado ( Might have a ferry that takes you there) and walk around Hotel Del Coronado ( very Historic 100+ year old hotel).  SeaWorld is a full day event, but I don't think it's close to the cruise terminal.  Its been years since I have been to San Diego.

Actually the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala (Mission San Diego) is in Mission Valley, not Old Town. It is accessible via the San Diego Metro Trolley.

And while the ferry to Coronado is fun, it still leaves you 1.5 miles from "downtown" Coronado, where the Hotel del Coronado and the majority of shops and restaurants are. I'd Uber or Lyft instead of using the ferry.

On 7/30/2023 at 11:40 AM, LynnSD said:

You can have a nice day right on the Embarcadero by walking a few steps to the Midway aircraft carrier / museum.  When you’re done there, there are plenty of restaurants with great views and margaritas in Seaport Village, Portside Pier, or Little Italy.  

Sorry, major pet peeve, a midway is an amusement arcade, the USS Midway is a retired U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.

Depending on the day of the week, Little Italy is a short walk and has a dozen or more great restaurants.

The America Plaza Station of the SD Metro Trolley is less than a half mile away and you can ride it three stops to the Gaslamp Quarter or go the opposite direction to Old Town, which I think is five stops away.

14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Depending on the day of the week, Little Italy is a short walk and has a dozen or more great restaurants.

Sorry, but I don't see the draw to Little Italy if you only have a short time in SD.  We usually go for several days and then it's fine as is Gaslamp and Coronado.  But for a day or half day there's nothing in LI that's worth expending the time.  If for only the day it's all about walking the waterfront, Midway, Seaport Village, Coronado Bay Landing, ferry cruise, or maybe the zoo.  The zoo is going to kill most of the day with not much left over.  Yes, SD zoo is world class, but there's other things in SD to see that you can't see elsewhere.    

4 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

But for a day or half day there's nothing in LI that's worth expending the time.

Everyone has different interests and priorities. One of mine is dining. The OP gives us no indication of what their interests and priorities are, nor where they are from. When I am on a CA Coastal Cruise about the only thing I get off the ship for is dining. In San Diego, Little Italy is the best concentration of good dining.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Everyone has different interests and priorities. One of mine is dining. 

Mine too.  But I get the impression from the OP they are looking for more than just places to eat and as far as I know that's the main attraction of LI.  There's plenty of other great places to eat within walking distance with better scenery once you get there.  We had our "go to" spots in Gaslamp until COVID closed most of them and now that we live across the border we seldom venture into SD except for a play or dinner.  

On 8/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Sorry, but I don't see the draw to Little Italy if you only have a short time in SD.  We usually go for several days and then it's fine as is Gaslamp and Coronado.  But for a day or half day there's nothing in LI that's worth expending the time.  If for only the day it's all about walking the waterfront, Midway, Seaport Village, Coronado Bay Landing, ferry cruise, or maybe the zoo.  The zoo is going to kill most of the day with not much left over.  Yes, SD zoo is world class, but there's other things in SD to see that you can't see elsewhere.    

If for just one day, would you recommend the Hop On/Hop Off Trolley tour?  In terms of a ferry cruise, do you recommend any particular company?

10 hours ago, DallasForever said:

If for just one day, would you recommend the Hop On/Hop Off Trolley tour?  In terms of a ferry cruise, do you recommend any particular company?

I have never done the HOHO so can't speak personally to that.  Before we moved to just across the border to MX we visited SD at least 2-3 times a year.  My mom lived on Coronado Island just next to the ferry landing. 

If it were me, I would skip the HOHO and take the ferry over to Coronado Island, spend a few hours walking and eating; even rent a surrey bike.  Maybe Uber/taxi up to the Hotel Del.  If you want to splurge you could do one of the more expensive bay cruises, most are done by Hornblower cruises and they have a bunch of options.  If you just want to go from the cruise ship over then just do the public commuter ferry. 

I would try to do the USS Midway if that's an interest for you.  At some point, you can walk down the waterfront into Seaport Village and beyond.  It's nothing but tourist shops and restaurants but has a nice walk along the ocean with views of mega yachts, kite flying, and other weird beach stuff.

If you walk all the way down to the convention center and don't want to walk back look for a pedi-cab to take you back.  But make sure to agree on a price beforehand.        

The Old Town Trolley will drive you  around the city, and you can choose to get off and explore Old Town, Balboa Park, Coronado, etc.   So it is a good way to get a glimpse of a lot of places.  

I’d recommend a harbor cruise before a ferry to Coronado, I love seeing the navy ships and coastal sights.    There’s Hornblower and one other, I think.  Look at the groupon site for SD for a ticket deal, and go early.  

Walking the Embarcadero is always pleasant , you can go from the ship to seaport village easily.  The Midway museum and Maritime museums are right there too. 

All depends on what you like.  

3 hours ago, LynnSD said:

The Old Town Trolley will drive you  around the city, and you can choose to get off and explore Old Town, Balboa Park, Coronado, etc.   So it is a good way to get a glimpse of a lot of places.

I wouldn't say the Old Town Trolley "will drive you  around the city", it hits Downtown, Old Town, Coronado and Balboa Park. It does not go to La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Mission Valley, North Park and many other worthwhile places.

Figure out what you want to see and then decide.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LynnSD said:

Of course the trolley drives you around the city, covering 25 miles; and of course it does not drive you through each and every corner

The OTT has 12 stops in 4 areas, in a very small segment of San Diego. 9 of the 12 stops cover an area of about 3 miles in Downtown. It misses a lot of what people want to see in San Diego. The OTT is a very poor value in my opinion, especially when compared to HoHo buses in other areas. If the 9 stops in Downtown interest the OP, a $6 Pronto Card Day Pass from SD Metro is better than the $46 OTT costs.

That is why the OP needs to figure out what sights they want to see and then decide how to get there.

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The OTT is a very poor value in my opinion, especially when compared to HoHo buses in other areas.

Poor value, how about the pedi-cabs?  Now that's a poor value.  I once had him want $40 to take me from the Hornblower pier to the Embassy Suites.  I looked up and pointed at the hotel sign and said, "$40 to there?"  Sadly, he read the crowd and knew we had two people who couldn't really walk that far and he stuck to his $40.  

• Like 2

We go to concerts at the Rady Shell.   They now have signs posted in the area, alerting people to the fact that pedicabs cost $100 plus, beware.   

As for the trolley, it’s easy to research and decide if it’s for you.  We’ve had visitors who thoroughly enjoyed it.   Touristy but fun!  Riding over the Coronado bridge with the wind blowing is quite an experience!!

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Poor value, how about the pedi-cabs?

I had a pedi-cab try and squeeze inside of my car on 6th Ave by the Hard Rock Hotel when the streets were jammed. He left a huge gash in the side of my car and I couldn't chase after him because traffic was at a standstill. So yeah, not my favorite people.