Is finding a cab hard when needing to go from Rome to the port

mickeysgal

I should have booked a private car transfer awhile ago.  But things here at home (water flooded our house) caused us to delay booking some final aspect of our trip.  Shoot, at one point, we didn't think we'd even be about to go and thought we'd have to cancel.  Now, I can't find a private car service that has availability.  What are my options here?  Is it possible to just arrange for a cab (maybe via hotel concierge)  to take us from our Rome hotel to the port? I don't want to leave anything to chance but this may be all we have.  Conversely, at the end of the cruise, is it hard to find a cab at the port to take us back to Rome?  Train would be our proffered last choice...I'd like to save time as much as possible, and cab seems to be the way to go.  Help!  

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

It's not hard to find taxis in Rome, it's just expensive.  I would first go through the concierge at your hotel, and I wouldn't wait until you arrive.  Call/e-mail the hotel today and see if they can arrange it for you.

Will do.  

44 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Any idea what the cost would be for them to grab a cab?  In either direction. 

I know (from an earlier post by @euro cruiser that there is a fixed fare from Civitavecchia to the FCO airport of 125 euros. I suspect going into Rome will cost more than that, although I don't think there is a fixed fare. It is a slightly longer journey and more apt to be slow (depending on your destination) due to traffic in Rome itself.

There is also an added complication of using a taxi from Civitavecchia -- unless a taxi has a pre-reserved pickup, they cannot enter the port. So if you're just looking to grab a taxi without pre-reserving, you'd still have to get on and off the free port shuttle that takes you to the entrance. Not much of a problem without luggage, less fun but doable with it.

And of course it is another speed-bump that can slow your down if the plan is to get to Rome (or airport) ASAP.

I just used a car service I hadn't seen discussed here, RomeHabiCabs as I also was having a hard time finding a service.  I booked them for the trip from Centro to the port, and then port to FCO.  It was 150 euros each way, and the service was very good.  It was a large three seater van with plenty of space for luggage.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's not hard to find taxis in Rome, it's just expensive.  I would first go through the concierge at your hotel, and I wouldn't wait until you arrive.  Call/e-mail the hotel today and see if they can arrange it for you.

Normally I would agree; however, currently there is a problem in Rome getting a taxi.  I would definitely have the hotel pre-book a cab, and then maybe a leave a litter earlier than normal in the even the taxi is late.