QM2 dry dock?

lucas34

Just off QM-2. I was told that Head Office was holding the details close to their chests and the only thing they have been told is that the internet was to be improved involving wiring each cabin.  Not sure whether I can believe that internet point.

• Like 1

Just had Lunch yesterday with my reliable source from Carnival House,  as I understand it QM2 will go into dry dock/refit in November  for approx three weeks

In addition to exterior work 

work will also include; Bathrooms & plumbing ( long overdue) 

Floor tiling in Kings court ?

Carpets in some areas replaced including soft furnishings

Work to improve the internet ( what ever that means ?) 

• Like 4

I would hope also improving exhaust and pollution controls so QM2 could meet Norway standards for entering certain fyords. 
I realize they can’t do much in a 2-3 week dry dock in this issue but environmental concerns need to be addressed. 

• Like 2

I seriously doubt that QM2 is going to be retrofitted with LNG. Cunard (and other lines) will simply sail other fjords which don't have the no emission requirements. It's going to take a long time for cruising to move to zero emissions but Norway is playing the long game here and is happy to take any reduction in emissions it can get by offering the carrot of World Heritage fjords to those ships which comply while not completely turning away ships that don't comply.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Just had Lunch yesterday with my reliable source from Carnival House,  as I understand it QM2 will go into dry dock/refit in November  for approx three weeks

Installing more hamster wheels below deck to add a little speed to the internet. Can’t ask the little creatures to run any faster than they already do. 

Would like to see Grills bathrooms renovated. Having sampled the QV aft suites that has spoiled me. Though I’m looking forward to next month on QM2 regardless. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Marylebone37 said:

Has anyone heard anything more about the work to be performed in Oct/Nov this year?  

Captain Hall confirmed at one of the recent CWC cocktail parties (I think 2 weeks ago, maybe?) that all cabins will have a WiFi access point added.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything more!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chart Room Princess said:

What is her first cruise after the refit? We are joining on November 28 for the NY to Caribbean.

Looks like drydock begins 22-Oct and the first cruise is 16-Nov.  But that is only going by the online schedules that are posted at a big online agency.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SilverHengroen
2 hours ago, Spicedog said:

If the wifi is being improved, think they will still charge for internet on board?

I would expect, if anything, it will be more expensive. Though as expectations for connectivity are dramatically higher now than they were in 2004, they might swallow the cost of the upgrade and/or any increase in what they pay for the service, particularly if they are looking to entice more younger cruisers on board. The starlink connection may also be limited to the premium package, as email, messaging and general web browsing probably won't benefit from faster speeds as much as video streaming and FaceTime calls. 

2 hours ago, Spicedog said:

If the wifi is being improved, think they will still charge for internet on board?

It will never be free, but I don't think the cost will increase from what it currently is. There is already Starlink onboard, which actually provides the high speeds, the routers that will be replaced/more introduced will just increase the "local" signal, and a few thousand routers isn't much money for Cunard/Carnival in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, satalite internet will always cost money. Hence it never being free.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MylesS said:

It will never be free, but I don't think the cost will increase from what it currently is. There is already Starlink onboard, which actually provides the high speeds, the routers that will be replaced/more introduced will just increase the "local" signal, and a few thousand routers isn't much money for Cunard/Carnival in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, satalite internet will always cost money. Hence it never being free.

Currently onboard QM the wifi has certainly better than before. I am in a sheltered balcony and it’s non existent in my room so hoping the refit will bring improved connectivity to state rooms. With loyalty status discount I am not unhappy with the charges for a basic package. I am not naive enough to think it should or would ever be provided free of charge. 

1 hour ago, MylesS said:

I'm not sure Starlink is in use. The equipment has certainly been installed but I'm not aware of anyone having posted that a Speedtest result has shown Starlink as a source. At least one test from the recent Med cruise referenced the old provider.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 1:34 PM, Bell Boy said:

Does “Bathrooms & plumbing” mean they will be getting rid of the shower curtains or is that to big of a task given their designs?

Edited by Gomac