Another upgrade question....

dad son team

I'm booked for Alaska in September so I'm about 35 days from sail date.  I'm in an inside cabin and in checking prices, the cost of a balcony has become pretty reasonable.  Has anyone done a paid upgrade like this?  I guess my biggest concern is using certs that I had on the original booking.  In particular there was a 50% off cert for any cabin.  Would that still apply to the new balcony cabin or it that lost?

I had a 20% off cert for my current Europe cruise when I booked.  Prices dropped significantly on this cruise as well and when I called to upgrade, I received the new lower prices and the discount was still applied, thus making it even lower.  Just give NCL a quick call and within a minute they can give you the upgrade price.  Good luck

1 hour ago, dad son team said:

I'm booked for Alaska in September so I'm about 35 days from sail date.  I'm in an inside cabin and in checking prices, the cost of a balcony has become pretty reasonable.  Has anyone done a paid upgrade like this?  I guess my biggest concern is using certs that I had on the original booking.  In particular there was a 50% off cert for any cabin.  Would that still apply to the new balcony cabin or it that lost?

The only way too be sure is to call NCL.

• Like 2

Only NCL can really answer.  If you were before final pay, the discount would probably still apply IF the new cabin still meets the terms of the certificate.

Since you are after final pay, they might not consider the coupon in determining the price difference. And if they do consider it, will the price of the balcony still be more than what you paid - they usually require upgrades to be paid.

Remember you are dealing with NCL logic... They seem to have tightened up on what they let stay.  For example, if there is a price change (before final pay) and you've gotten an on-board upgrade, you lose that upgrade with a re-price.  They also remove any extra CruiseNext certificates if there isn't a current double-up promo.  And a whole different set of "rules" for after final pay adjustments.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

The only way too be sure is to call NCL.

Yeah, exactly this. It can't hurt to call NCL and see, but as @julig22 said, you may end up forfeiting something you received when you booked your inside cabin that won't apply to the new balcony cabin. It's like you're starting from scratch.

We just combined a 15% a 25%, 2 cash credits  a CN and a 50% FAS on a booking.

I have done a spreadsheet for every cabin grade on current prices to be able to check if the upgrade bids asking offers are sensible when we get the email.

Also handy to monitor price drops to see where any new quote fits against the price we would have paid up front.

Of we lose any of the add-ons it will need to be a massive drop.

To close the topic, I called NCL and was not able to upgrade.  I was quoted $1200 more to upgrade which was much higher than I had calculated based on the coupons/discounts I used on the original booking, plus what I paid out of pocket.  So, since the prices have dropped a bit and the cruise is 4 weeks away, I am hoping my upgrade bid will be accepted, but if not, I will be happy with what I planned on originally.

• Like 2