Gala Nights Themes - Masquerade, Red & Gold, Black and White, etc?

Smokeyham

Hello,

Doing some research and we see references to Masquerade, Red & Gold, Roaring 20's, etc Gala/Theme nights on board QM2. We will be doing a Southampton to New York crossing.

I did look at the website (https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack#evenings) and saw some ideas but would welcome thoughts from those who have experience with the themed evenings on what to wear/bring for men and women.

We will be travelling for a few weeks beforehand so are trying to keep our suitcases to a manageable number/weight, so ideas for easily packable items are extra welcome.

Thanks for any ideas.

• Like 1

The gala theme nights are only suggestions, so don't feel you need to shop for something specific.

It's easy for men. Regular formal wear will do for all of those themes. Regular formal wear will do for women, too, but many do follow the theme to some extent.

Masquerade is a regular gala attire, but people wear masks (think mardi gras, not Halloween) in the Queens Room for dancing. And even then, it isn't required. 

Red and gold can just be wearing something red or gold if you don't have the combination. 

Roaring 20's is fun. I was surprised at how many women had bought flapper dresses. I have one that I love wearing. I'm always happy when that's one of the themes for my voyage. A fair number of women simply accessorize a gown or cocktail dress with a long rope of pearls, maybe a sparkly headband. On my last cruise, I did see a few men with straw boaters and sleeve garters. They looked more "gay nineties" than "roaring twenties."

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The gala theme nights are only suggestions, so don't feel you need to shop for something specific.

It's easy for men. Regular formal wear will do for all of those themes. Regular formal wear will do for women, too, but many do follow the theme to some extent.

Masquerade is a regular gala attire, but people wear masks (think mardi gras, not Halloween) in the Queens Room for dancing. And even then, it isn't required. 

Red and gold can just be wearing something red or gold if you don't have the combination. 

Roaring 20's is fun. I was surprised at how many women had bought flapper dresses. I have one that I love wearing. I'm always happy when that's one of the themes for my voyage. A fair number of women simply accessorize a gown or cocktail dress with a long rope of pearls, maybe a sparkly headband. On my last cruise, I did see a few men with straw boaters and sleeve garters. They looked more "gay nineties" than "roaring twenties."

Thanks .... That is very helpful!

• Like 1

For men:

There are lots of gold or red and gold ties and pocket scarves. They take no room and weigh nothing (especially self-tie ties).

If you're attending a 20s gala you can get inexpensive spats to wear over your shoes. Ours always generate lots of comments. And I have a nice silk scarf that adds a period touch.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just booked a QM2 cruise that is a ways off (Nov 2024) but for us a great part of the fun is anticipating the cruise overall but the gala nights in particular.  I have looked online but can’t find anything that tells us how many gala events there will be (it’s a 13 night sailing to the Caribbean) nor can I find anything about what the themes will be (e.g. roaring 20s, red, etc).  Can anyone point me to where I can find this information?  Many thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Carnevale said:

We just booked a QM2 cruise that is a ways off (Nov 2024) but for us a great part of the fun is anticipating the cruise overall but the gala nights in particular.  I have looked online but can’t find anything that tells us how many gala events there will be (it’s a 13 night sailing to the Caribbean) nor can I find anything about what the themes will be (e.g. roaring 20s, red, etc).  Can anyone point me to where I can find this information?  Many thanks in advance.

As 'My Cunard' is playing silly beggars at the moment, I can't check my cruises for next year for any info but it's probably too far out at the moment.