Has anyone tried the new small cruise ships?

garysarah

I'm a true Seadreamer and not likely to defect to other lines except for new locations.  There haven't been any new discussions for a while and wonder if any Seadreamers have tried the new small ships like Emerald Ocean, Scenic Ocean or Atlas?  I would be interested in comparisons.  Most reviews are from people used to large ship cruising.

We will be sailing on ATLAS starting this Saturday for 13 nights, I will be doing a review of the ship, and our itinerary in the Arctic and the Norwegian Fjords if internet (STARLINK) cooperates.  

• Like 1

Viking Oceans stretches the limit of "Small Ships" but compared to most is smallish at 930 max pax.  They had us at no kids.  We have completed two World Cruises on Viking Oceans and have a third booked for this winter.  Only crew I would put right next to SeaDream.  Excellent and very well laid out ships.  Best bathrooms at sea with the heated floors...  Went to the Caribbean with them and of course wished for SeaDream as I still believe no one does the Caribbean as good as SD.  In the Med I would lean Viking.  Just one opinion, your mileage may vary..🥃

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We tried a small ship, Hebridean Princess, with 40 passengers, last year for a 10 day cruise of the islands along the coast of Great Britain between Cardiff, Wales and Oban, Scotland.  HP is an older ship, with an older clientele, but top notch (with prices to match.)  After Queen Elizabeth retired her ship, Britannia, she used to charter Hebridean Princess.  That says something about the quality of the ship, crew, and service.

This is HP's "second life" as she was a car ferry in her first incarnation.  Age aside, she is a completely delightful experience.  We just finished up 10 days in the Orkney and Shetland Islands, and hated to disembark.  We've booked her again for a trip next year out of Dublin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nrc said:

We tried a small ship, Hebridean Princess, with 40 passengers, last year for a 10 day cruise of the islands along the coast of Great Britain between Cardiff, Wales and Oban, Scotland.  HP is an older ship, with an older clientele, but top notch (with prices to match.)  After Queen Elizabeth retired her ship, Britannia, she used to charter Hebridean Princess.  That says something about the quality of the ship, crew, and service.

This is HP's "second life" as she was a car ferry in her first incarnation.  Age aside, she is a completely delightful experience.  We just finished up 10 days in the Orkney and Shetland Islands, and hated to disembark.  We've booked her again for a trip next year out of Dublin.

I love Hebridean Princess!  We've done five cruises on the Princess since 2012 and are long overdue for a sixth!  I'm delighted that you had a good time and have booked again.  

I'm ready for another SeaDream cruise, too.

• Like 1