Is this old news here?

Big_G

The following is not a direct response to the OP.  Just an opportunity for discussion.  Many countries experience rebellion, gang violence, general crime issues, and just about any issue that we, as cruisers, don't want to experience.  I include our own U.S. of A. in that.  Many concerns are completely justified and some are not as serious as some want to make it.  Unless, and this is all my own opinion, you are a well-seasoned traveler, current event seeker, and geographically knowledgeable, I'd heed the advice of security experts from the Department of State (as much as it pains me to give any U.S. government agency (except the military) credit for anything).   I wouldn't make any decision based on any news agency's initial report(s) unless they are interviewing or quoting directly someone or something from official sources.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'd heed the advice of security experts from the Department of State (as much as it pains me to give any U.S. government agency (except the military) credit for anything).   .  

It pains me that beyond the incredibly low trust I have of any governmental agencies anymore, I have little to no trust in the military anymore. (and growing up a military brat from an incredibly military family, I NEVER thought that day would come)

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

It pains me that beyond the incredibly low trust I have of any governmental agencies anymore, I have little to no trust in the military anymore. (and growing up a military brat from an incredibly military family, I NEVER thought that day would come)

I trust the soldiers.  Not the Pentagon.  However, to go further with that subject would violate this social media's rules.  

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Like in Haiti, what happens in the capital (very far removed from the cruise port) is very unlikely to affect cruising.

Information is the first line of defense in avoiding an unlikely scenario.