Classic Drink Package Questions

PGI GUY

We are booked on the Silhouette in October in aqua class with the classic drink package up to 10.00 dollars per drink. When I look at some of the menu prices for wine most are above the limit allowed. I know that I can pay the difference, my question is what, what is the selection like in the bars and the Blu dining room.

My next question is what about drinks like a martini or a Manhattan without ordering a call brand. Can you order a double and it is counted as two drinks and would be included or would I be charged for the double, as an example a double  Kahula on the rocks.

5 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

We are booked on the Silhouette in October in aqua class with the classic drink package up to 10.00 dollars per drink. When I look at some of the menu prices for wine most are above the limit allowed. I know that I can pay the difference, my question is what, what is the selection like in the bars and the Blu dining room.

You can have a look at the app to see the wine list for blue, knowing that it might be completely different by the time you sail.

5 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

My next question is what about drinks like a martini or a Manhattan without ordering a call brand. Can you order a double and it is counted as two drinks and would be included or would I be charged for the double, as an example a double  Kahula on the rocks.

For issues like this, there is a lot of variation depending on the bartender and the server. I don’t think there’s a definitive answer to your question

• Thanks 1

Basic drinks Manhattan martini all are available within the classic, the main thing to understand classic vs premium it usually relates to what brand is used that s all.  The double order is really depending on the server and bartender how they want to charge, it should count as an extra charge but many times its not.  Depends on how much they are cracking down on this on board.  I have had it with no issues at times, but others would be charged.  You can order any drink you want from the dining rooms, how fast you get it is a whole different story.  But if you make contact with the Sommelier and beverage waiter the first night, it usually is very smooth I have discovered 

24 minutes ago, PGI GUY said:

We announce to the wine server in Blu that we would like to stay within the Classic Package.  There have been several wines offered.  If there are none in the Classic category due to supply shortages, etc. , we have been given more expensive wines at no additional charge. Much depends on the sommelier.  We had one that was outstanding and the other...

• Like 1

I got an email today from Celebrity offering upgrade from the Classic Drinks Package to the Premium Drinks Package for $9.99 per day per person.  They do add the 20% gratuity to that, so the upgrade would cost you $9.99 times the number of days for your cruise plus 20% gratuity.  Everyone 21 years of age and over in the cabin does have to upgrade.  We decided to go ahead and upgrade just to avoid the hassle of trying to figure out what drinks are covered by the Classic Package.  The usual upgrade cost is $20 per day plus gratuity, so this is a deal, I think it is good for just a few days.  

In answer to your question about wine, asking what is covered by your package usually works.  I have also started asking if whatever my favorite wine (currently Eroica by Chateau Ste Michelle-Dr. Loosen) is covered by my package.  Sometimes, the sommelier gives it to me even if it is not on the "covered" list.  Of course, they do get a nice extra tip at the end of the cruise.

• Like 2

The question as to whether or not to do the upgrade from classic to premium, really depends on your need for higher priced drinks and how many you drink.  If you're only drinking a couple of upgraded drinks per day, then you have $12/day ($9.99 +20% tip) to use as a comparable upgrade kitty.

We enjoy wine. We upgraded to premium and not the first time this has happened in OCV bar or MDR,  ordered say villa Maria Sav Blanc.  What was delivered - undrinkable.  So 2 points. if you are in OCV get a Sommelier. If not, get your wines or beer yourself. My point is if you enjoy wine, you may not be happy with Classic.  DH likes his beer but found choices limited with a Classic pkg  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're also on Silhouette in October, so I'm going to assume you're sailing out of Southampton. When the ship is sailing out of the UK the menu prices must include VAT and so the allowed limit for the drinks packages is the equivalent 20% higher (eg. $12 for the Classic Package and $18 for the Premium). I've been confused by this in the past! Hopefully that means there will be a few more wines available to you without upcharge.

Thank you to all who answered my questions.  We are leaving from Southampton and was not aware of the VAT situation. We left out of Dover last year on Viking and there was no change in the drink prices or change in their beverage package pricing. The Beverage package price is $25.00 pp per day and includes gratuity for drinks up to $18.00 unlimited.

• 2 months later...

Hello, this is my first post on the forum and don't want to highjack the thread but it is related to classic drink package upgrades.

Going on Summit next month and don't know if it's better to buy the premium package right now ($87 per day), or to get the classic package now ($71 per day) and hope to get a discounted upgrade package before sailing.

When we sailed on Edge we bought the classic package before the cruise but once we boarded we were offered the upgraded package for $60 for the entire 7 day cruise. Not sure if that's a thing anymore.

Thanks in advance.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:09 PM, cnktodhunter said:

We're also on Silhouette in October, so I'm going to assume you're sailing out of Southampton. When the ship is sailing out of the UK the menu prices must include VAT and so the allowed limit for the drinks packages is the equivalent 20% higher (eg. $12 for the Classic Package and $18 for the Premium). I've been confused by this in the past! Hopefully that means there will be a few more wines available to you without upcharge.

Vat is NOT included in the price of drinks. What you see is the cost inclusive of the 20% gratuity. So the upper limits are $12 and $20. Elsewhere the cost is $10 +20% and $17 + 20%. Any up charges will be the same - only difference is that the gratuity is included rather than shown separately.

18 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

I would book what you want now. If the price goes down you can cancel and rebook up until two days before the cruise.

That's great. I didn't know cancelling was an option.

Thanks for the suggestion. 👍