OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK AUG 6-13,2023 SEASCAPE

morpheusofthesea

9 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

There is a $5 charge for an additional entree.

That confirms it is not just on Seaside then, I assume this indignity has not spread to the YC though ? 🙂

It will be interesting to see if this is global or limited to the US market...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

If this is the case and it continues not to be enforced, then I would ask for a partial refund as I could have sailed in a Bella inside with no drink package and just walked in and helped myself.  If it continues, everyone will start doing it.  My question is is it worse than a year ago?  Are more people getting in?

You could, but you would not. The people on CC have scruples.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

If this is the case and it continues not to be enforced, then I would ask for a partial refund

One really cannot complain. Because the service one receives is still 'over the top'. The interlopers try to be low key so as not to be found out. I actually felt bad having 'ratted out' that couple that felt so pleased having snuck in and found a spot on the One Pool deck. They weren't bothering me. Sorry, but I felt their pain. I will not do it again.

15 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is common. As long as you can find a comfortable lounge and do not have to spend time in a long line waiting for your seafood buffet, you'll have a good experience. I fear that by bringing this to the attention of management off the ship will only reduce the benefits now being offered in the YC. Instead of the simple task of carding guests, management will just do away with the seafood extravaganza (understand they already are not found on 3 or 4 day cruises). The YC restaurant staff do the best job, but even they are 'forced' to seat the friends and family of YC guests residing outside the Yacht Club. Understand as well that MSC would rather spend more money expanding Ocean House to accommodate these friends and family than upset anyone that books into the YC. Just have to grin and bear it or go over to Explora ?

We were on Seascape last week and did not have the seafood extravaganza! Was told they ran out or short ordered. Substituted a suckling pig. Took a look and decided on the Sushi restaurant.

• Thanks 1

Hotel Director Yannis K 'made the rounds' at the Gala Dinner in the YC Restaurant last night. He told us that he is leaving Sept 17 to go over to the Seashore to bring it over to the US market. He is 'putting the band back together'. Assembling his department heads, his 'working team'. He does not know who will be taking his place yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

One really cannot complain. Because the service one receives is still 'over the top'. The interlopers try to be low key so as not to be found out. I actually felt bad having 'ratted out' that couple that felt so pleased having snuck in and found a spot on the One Pool deck. They weren't bothering me. Sorry, but I felt their pain. I will not do it again.

understand.  But if it's going to be allowed and more people find out that it's that easy to do then problem will only get worse.  Now the interlopers are low key.  What will happen in a year from now when more people find out and it becomes more of a problem?  I don't think it's the YC passengers job to enforce.  If it's just shrugged off and I see it shrugged off when I am there in December on the Divinia, April on the Seascape and June on Meraviglia, I do intend to ask any powers that be for a partial refund as this is not what I paid for and I would have just booked Fantastica or whatever and gone into YC to get away from crowds.  

• Like 1

I won't go around asking for ID/stateroom card but I won't let anyone piggyback as I enter an exclusive area. Whether it's Yacht Club or Haven, I make sure that the door closes behind us. If someone tries to piggyback, I tell them that they have to use their card/wristband to enter. I'll say something along the lines of "... it's so the staff can know how many people are in the area..." and see the reaction.

I don't see myself as a rat if I report a known interloper. I see myself as trying to keep the Yacht Club or Haven as it is intended to be. If another guest asks me to show my card, I will.....ignore that guest. If a member of the staff asks me to show my card, I will....once. If I'm continually asked, I'll walk right to the concierge and tell him/her that I won't be showing my card to staff for the remainder of the cruise.

MSC can take measures to prevent/reduce interlopers without being overly intrusive to actual Yacht Club guests.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

MSC can take measures to prevent/reduce interlopers without being overly intrusive to actual Yacht Club guests.

This is the REAL point. (They are not). Speak to any staff and they will tell you and show you how and where the interlopers crash into the Aurea and YC. But nothing is being done to stop the practice. I have taken a few short videos that will not upload today, maybe at 6 am tomorrow morning.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I won't go around asking for ID/stateroom card but I won't let anyone piggyback as I enter an exclusive area. Whether it's Yacht Club or Haven, I make sure that the door closes behind us. If someone tries to piggyback, I tell them that they have to use their card/wristband to enter. I'll say something along the lines of "... it's so the staff can know how many people are in the area..." and see the reaction.

I don't see myself as a rat if I report a known interloper. I see myself as trying to keep the Yacht Club or Haven as it is intended to be. If another guest asks me to show my card, I will.....ignore that guest. If a member of the staff asks me to show my card, I will....once. If I'm continually asked, I'll walk right to the concierge and tell him/her that I won't be showing my card to staff for the remainder of the cruise.

I’m delighted to be asked by staff multiple times to produce our YC creds. As often as necessary until they recognize us. 
my reasoning is simple. If they are “carding” us, they are doing it to others. INCLUDING interlopers. 
I won’t allow myself to have an ego or hurt feelings about something so trivial. Nor am I so self important that I expect all staff to recognize me immediately. For heaven’s sake, I’m not Clint Eastwood. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

I’m delighted to be asked by staff multiple times to produce our YC creds. As often as necessary until they recognize us.

We get recognized more easily since we're a family of 4. Plus, there are only 2 Royal Suites on the ships that I have sailed so knowing that we have the same cabana/pergola reserved helps the staff remember us or at least recognize us as Yacht Club guests. 

40 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

my reasoning is simple. If they are “carding” us, they are doing it to others. INCLUDING interlopers. 

Part of their job would be remembering the people that have been asked. If the staff can't remember, the  interlopers who have been removed could easily return. Just "looking familiar" without remembering who should/shouldn't be there would be pointless. 

If the choices are "ask nobody" vs. "ask everybody multiple times", I would prefer the latter. However, the option of "asking and then knowing who belongs" is the better option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

I won’t allow myself to have an ego or hurt feelings about something so trivial. Nor am I so self important that I expect all staff to recognize me immediately. For heaven’s sake, I’m not Clint Eastwood. 

I picture myself doing this...

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Part of their job would be remembering the people that have been asked. If the staff can't remember, the  interlopers who have been removed could easily return. Just "looking familiar" without remembering who should/shouldn't be there would be pointless.

Agreed.  I think it is easy to do for them as a staff group.  We have found YC staff members to have really good memories!  As one of many examples, we were on Meraviglia last October.  Our Junior Butler said hello to us by name on the first day, and then said, "You were on Seaside in room 16xxx in March 2019, weren't you?  It was Back to Back.  I was your Junior Butler then."  He was exactly right.  Better memory than mine!

• Like 3

The interloper situation is just another one of those things in life one has no control over. Sort of like the answer given by the husband at his 60 year anniversary party. When asked what was the secret to a long and happy marriage his reply "I just grin and bear it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

We get recognized more easily since we're a family of 4.  

I'm happy for you.

We are a family of two who are just not that memorable. Maybe I should go and buy a speedo as I strive for becoming memorable. 

On second thought.........🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JAGR said:

We have found YC staff members to have really good memories!

We have always been pleasantly surprised when we are remembered. I think this is why many people continue to ask who is on each ship. I wonder if there would be some interest in having a thread here to keep track of our favorite YC folks?

10 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Infinity Bridge deck 8 is still blocked off due to a broken glass walkway panel. Deck 8 is the only outside walking area.

IMG_3044.jpg

So disappointing! Any word on when they might be having it taken care of?

Tonight there was a comedian for two shows in the Chora Theatre. We walked out after 5 minutes. This guy was the 'last straw'. DW will not waste her time with ship comedians anymore. I will have to listen to her complain the rest of this cruise how I made her leave a nice (repeat) performance in Le Cabaret Rouge for another lousy comedian. I'll be lucky if her complaining ends with the end of this cruise.

Left the theatre and went to the Loft Cafe. Nothing was playing, so we called it a night. Did not want to wait around for however long between sets these musicians have for breaks. Asked the bar tender at 10pm when was the next set...11:30pm.  Goodnight !

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Tonight there was a comedian for two shows in the Chora Theatre. We walked out after 5 minutes. This guy was the 'last straw'. DW will not waste her time with ship comedians anymore. I will have to listen to her complain the rest of this cruise how I made her leave a nice (repeat) performance in Le Cabaret Rouge for another lousy comedian. I'll be lucky if her complaining ends with the end of this cruise.

Left the theatre and went to the Loft Cafe. Nothing was playing, so we called it a night. Did not want to wait around for however long between sets these musicians have for breaks. Asked the bar tender at 10pm when was the next set...11:30pm.  Goodnight !

Quite a few walked out of the comedian show last week as well!!