Embarkation day - what to do with carryon before staterooms are available

ThunderSC44

I find the common areas too crowded during embarkation. Seconding the suggestion DO NOT stay in the buffet area after you're done eating. We have the one carry-on with the important things, everything else gets left with the porters. Yes, you have to lug it around so make sure it's easily transportable if possible:  backpack or spinny wheels. What we like to do is walk around the ship and get the lay of the land. Where's the MDR, where's the elevators, which deck can you jog completely around on (not that we do), where's all the bars and coffee...that kind of thing. That way once rooms are ready and things are dropped off and unpacked, we know exactly where we're headed, the most efficient way of getting there, and how to avoid all the smoking areas. Makes my vacation a little less stressful.

• Like 3

My wife and I always use carry on, no matter how long the cruise.  We were on the Dream last Oct. and we left our luggage in front of our cabin.  I had the same question before we sailed.  After we dropped our luggage off, we found out that Carnival will keep it in a safe spot for you, you don't have to lug it around.  All you have to do is ASK!

• Thanks 1

We always take our important things…paperwork, meds and jewelry….in a backpack and check anything else.  We never bring soda so I can’t speak to that instance.  We also don’t go to our room until the doors are open, thus letting us know rooms are ready.  The cabin stewards work far too hard to risk getting in their way and making things more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Oldgoat61 said:

My wife and I always use carry on, no matter how long the cruise.  We were on the Dream last Oct. and we left our luggage in front of our cabin.  I had the same question before we sailed.  After we dropped our luggage off, we found out that Carnival will keep it in a safe spot for you, you don't have to lug it around.  All you have to do is ASK!

Ask who?

On 8/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, carohs said:

I find the common areas too crowded during embarkation. Seconding the suggestion DO NOT stay in the buffet area after you're done eating. We have the one carry-on with the important things, everything else gets left with the porters. Yes, you have to lug it around so make sure it's easily transportable if possible:  backpack or spinny wheels. What we like to do is walk around the ship and get the lay of the land. Where's the MDR, where's the elevators, which deck can you jog completely around on (not that we do), where's all the bars and coffee...that kind of thing. That way once rooms are ready and things are dropped off and unpacked, we know exactly where we're headed, the most efficient way of getting there, and how to avoid all the smoking areas. Makes my vacation a little less stressful.

Exactly what we do.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 12:29 AM, Oldgoat61 said:

Yeah, you can do that.  You shouldn't do that.  Leaving your luggage at your room when you aren't entitled to that privilege is just slowing things down for everyone.  It's in the steward's way.  They have to take the time to put that "in a safe spot" for you.  Be more considerate, please.

• Like 1