Luggage service

Logoladytcs

While checking around I found this site - http://www.cruiseshippers.com and thought it might be a good idea for us.

I am flying out of So. Calif to Ft Lauderdale on April 1st for the Volendam's Panama Canal cruise.

These folks come to your house and pick up your luggage and then ship it via Fed Ex to the ship so it's there waiting for you. Looks like to me it would run around $1.35 a pound.

This might work particularly well for me as I really have issues lifting anything very heavy as I recently had a hip replacement.

If anyone has had any experience with this service I'd appreciate knowing about it!

Barbara

I've never used these services. While it's certainly appealing to not have to schlep luggage through airports, I'm just not brave enough to send my bag away before me ... hoping it will get to the ship. For the $65+ I'll just schlep.

Well - I bit the bullet and signed up for it!

I took what they call the silver service and they pick your bag (s) up the week before and away they go.

They are absolutely guaranteed to be in your cabin when you embark. If something happens - they will get them to your next port. And give you $100 a day clothing allowance.

The reverse is true when you disembark, they deliver them to your home. I won't need that as we are coming in to Los Angeles.

Of course I will have my carry on jamed packed with a few essentials - but this might work out really well.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Barbara

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..........

Come back here and tell us how the service worked for you. My DH wants to do this and I have been resisting. I'm nervous we won't see the luggage promptly in our cabin.....maybe never again. :(

Of course I will report back when I get back.

And I am kind of nervous about it - but I have spoken to some friends who have used it in the past and they raved about it.

As long as I have my makeup and a few changes in my carry-on - I guess I can survive awile in case there's a problem - at least as far as the next port where I can go shopping!

Barbara

Sea Gypsy - I'll be interested in seeing how this works out - they will pick up my luggage at my office the Monday before we sail - better there - I don't have the time to take off from work - Fed Ex does the pick up and they give us tracking numbers and we're all set!!

And yes - we are really anxious - my friend - the other Barbara is too!

Loved meeting you - say hi to Patrick!

Barbara

Actually their contract is with Fed Ex. not uPS

And I've had just the opposite experience -

In my business we ship every day and use them all - Fed Ex, UPS and DHL and Fed Ex is the only one we don't have trouble with.

So I felt comfortable with them - I am keeping my fingers crossed tho - and of course we will have insurance.

Barbara

Archived