Explora cruises from the eyes of clients

travelberlin

16 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

I thought that I would make some additional comparison between Explora 1 and Oceania Vista.  Of course both are brand new.  Vista has a beautiful library and Explora has none.  This might be important to some people and meaningless to others.  Oceania’s future ship Allura will have a lesser library and the space will get a gelateria.  

The lack of a pool grill on Explora is unusual, but there is an extremely large bar area at the Conservatory pool which is mostly unused that could easily be partially converted to a grill area. 

4 pools on Explora and only 1 on Vista makes Explora a much better choice for warm weather cruising. There is zero problem getting good pool seating on

Explora and the current cruise has more passengers than any previous ones.  We were on Vista for a cooler weather cruise and it was obvious the lack of pool seating and shade would be a big problem.  Vista also carries more passengers.  

On a cost basis 16 days on both in a basic veranda cabin (OT3 on Explora vs Concierge Veranda on Vista) is pretty similar.  

All good points we are on Vista now and i will be providing some additional comments soon 

Yhank you 

7 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

We ate last evening in Fil Rouge and it was a bit of a clunker.  My wife felt that her lobster was mostly lobster helper.  I can’t say that I have ever seen a smaller piece of Maine lobster and I spent the first 20 years of my life in New England. 

As we were boarding on 31 Jan, we ran into Heike from Azamara.  For those interested she was just leaving and will be back in 3 months.

Today the luminary Dr Lori, an art historian, spoke on shipwrecks and she was excellent.  My wife was very familiar with her from You Tube and the Discovery Channel. 

Trivia is at 6pm and is well attended.  An additional earlier session would be nice. 

What is lobster helper?

I know from TA friends ship is still loaded with TAs. 
Trivia at 6pm?  Hard to believe. 
No library and no movie theatre. They told me they plan to show movies on the large screen in time pool area. Lots of luck with that. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:09 AM, Whipsnade said:

They told me they plan to show movies on the large screen in time pool area.

Everyone get's his/her own headphone and is sitting/laying round the pool. And when we where onboard. the sky was clear so it was funny to see people watching the movie under the starry sky and we didn't hear anything .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Really??  Sounds dreadful. They told us in September they planned to do it but it was hard to imagine. 

Ok, time for you to change out of your cranky pants! Why is it “dreadful” to have movies under the stars in a venue otherwise not used in the evening?  With headphones on, in what way, shape or form does this affect YOU?

It’s a nice outdoor entertainment alternative. Period.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Whipsnade said:

Really??  Sounds dreadful. They told us in September they planned to do it but it was hard to imagine. 

This is really nothing new. Some of the mass market lines like Princess have been doing Movies Under the Stars for a least 20 years.  They are often well attended. 

4 hours ago, Henk123 said:

Everyone get's his/her own headphone and is sitting/laying round the pool. And when we where onboard. the sky was clear so it was funny to see people watching the movie under the starry sky and we didn't hear anything .

As long as they weren't screening "Barbie", it will be ok. It's a big screen to watch a movie. We used to do a lot of Summer movies in Bryant Park (NYC).  

Err...that was shown on our cruise🤣

35 minutes ago, PutnamNY said:

As long as they weren't screening "Barbie", it will be ok. It's a big screen to watch a movie. We used to do a lot of Summer movies in Bryant Park (NYC).  

6 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Don’t judge if you haven’t tried. It was actually a fantastic fun experience and yes we watched Barbie. Whilst I appreciate some might not enjoy it was after the pool was closed and it was impacting no one. We loved it and we aren’t kids 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Sounds like a mass market ship entertainment. What else to expect from ship owned by MSC. And Barbie no less. 

Really? - Crystal have recently shown Barbie on board - given its popularity at the box office ashore it’s no great surprise that Explora have shown it 

Seems they’re damned whatever they do in the eyes of some 

For us the Explora experience was one of the best we’ve had - the dining was exceptional together with the ambience and service

That’s not to say they’re the only cruise line providing a great luxury experience and we’re glad to have the option to include them in our cruise plans along with several others. Each offers something different than the others and we definitely enjoy that once they meet a decent level of luxury with dining, service and entertainment which are the elements we find important 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a mass market ship entertainment. What else to expect from ship owned by MSC. And Barbie no less. 
Grumpy

Well, you're certainly not ...image.png.f7fbf44fda78185c3b1af0cc6e5fec58.png

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Haha 2

Grumpy

With that logic, why should I expect anything from Regent or Oceania as they're owned by NCLHI, Seabourn and Cunard by Carnival and Silversea by the Royal Caribbean Group?

You've made some valid comments but please don't be an arbiter of what is and isn't important to a cruiser.  As someone who is spoiled enough to see about 30 live performances a year in Toronto and NYC, most cruise ship "entertainment" is an oxymoron to me. Explora is trying something different - I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. They're on the right track.  Racing through my meal to make it to a plastic show? Not luxury. Or how about only having one show (I'm talking to you Oceania and Regent) where if I like to dine late, I don't even get to see the show. Not particularly luxurious.

You are also equating "luxury" almost entirely based on your meals. As someone who likes to sit on deck during the shade and read, Explora is provided me a fantastic canvas on which to do that. Great bars and different vibes.  ALL the luxury lines and in particular, Regent and Seabourn are known for their overcrowded pool decks with people fighting for chairs. Not "luxury" to me.

But if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't!  It's not simply "bad" because you didn't like it.

There ARE problems - the wines are not up to snuff, the bathrooms are a disappointment and there should be daily specials in Fil Rouge and Med Yacht Club.  I have 4 more booked and am NOT cancelling!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Really? - Crystal have recently shown Barbie on board - given its popularity at the box office ashore it’s no great surprise that Explora have shown it 

Seems they’re damned whatever they do in the eyes of some 

For us the Explora experience was one of the best we’ve had - the dining was exceptional together with the ambience and service

That’s not to say they’re the only cruise line providing a great luxury experience and we’re glad to have the option to include them in our cruise plans along with several others. Each offers something different than the others and we definitely enjoy that once they meet a decent level of luxury with dining, service and entertainment which are the elements we find important 

Loved Barbie as it makes very important statement 

• Like 1

I don’t disagree with any of the points of those who have chastised my snide criticisms. 
We too thoroughly enjoyed our month on Explora. I do like the no cruise director concept and no formal nights with attendant folderol. But once we got back on board Crystal some of the faults with Explora become more obvious. No question that the meals and presentation on Crystal are better than any other luxury line. In Waterside menu at dinner changes every day. Here in Bali they have been shopping for local veggies and fruits. Very tantalizing. In Fils Rouge menu never changes. Silversea almost the same. Those lines are catering to the short 7 day cruise market. That’s not me. We want to come for at least 30 days at a time. 
Let’s face it, service on Explora not up to snuff as eager as they all are. Explora recruited them from Gulf restaurants. None have any ocean experience. Middle managers who know better are leaving. Very little training for staff. 
While I am at it, no finer ship on the sea than Explora for physical ship. No one can compete with that. 
The thing that really has turned me off is the 40% discount that applies only to ocean suites not to luxury cabins. I have asked to be included. Answer is NO. Crystal running promotion with cabin upgrades which include higher priced suites. Thus I have replaced my September bookings on Explora with Crystal at 35% lower price. Which would you choose?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

The thing that really has turned me off is the 40% discount that applies only to ocean suites not to luxury cabins. I have asked to be included. Answer is NO. Crystal running promotion with cabin upgrades which include higher priced suites. Thus I have replaced my September bookings on Explora with Crystal at 35% lower price. Which would you choose?

You'd be crazy not to book Crystal with that difference in price!

At this stage in life and with ageing animals, I'm can't really go over two weeks. But your points are taken - as the Explora fleet expands, I expect to see some significant changes.

Say "hi" to Bali, or "Bali Hi!"

• Like 1

Certainly I hope Explora changes because we did love the ship. 
Bali says “hi”. When you get here try Bumbu Bali. About ten min from ship. Authentic Balinese food presented by a chef who was guest chef on Symphonyv a few years back. Superb. 

9 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I don’t disagree with any of the points of those who have chastised my snide criticisms. 
We too thoroughly enjoyed our month on Explora. I do like the no cruise director concept and no formal nights with attendant folderol. But once we got back on board Crystal some of the faults with Explora become more obvious. No question that the meals and presentation on Crystal are better than any other luxury line. In Waterside menu at dinner changes every day. Here in Bali they have been shopping for local veggies and fruits. Very tantalizing. In Fils Rouge menu never changes. Silversea almost the same. Those lines are catering to the short 7 day cruise market. That’s not me. We want to come for at least 30 days at a time. 
Let’s face it, service on Explora not up to snuff as eager as they all are. Explora recruited them from Gulf restaurants. None have any ocean experience. Middle managers who know better are leaving. Very little training for staff. 
While I am at it, no finer ship on the sea than Explora for physical ship. No one can compete with that. 

I mostly agree with you.  I did add - in my strict review- the fact friendliness is not resolving everything and create a luxurious product. I did not like to explain to bartenders how to make some classics - ok that can happen once but not on a regular base.  I think seabreeze and negroni are not too complicated  -  seriously I did not risk to ask for more complicated items such as a Singapore sling ( afraid to send it back )  I am not the Belgian king but some "hosts" were far too outgoing - i do not think they should approach guests by their first name on a second day. 

Explora is indeed a beautiful ship but in the penthouses the bathrooms are extremely narrow and imho in a penthouse the restroom must be separated.  

and i do not understand the wine policy  -  there are plenty of affordable wines in Italy qualifying to be included   - and also the fact the special wines are too expensive (they are indeed cheap  on MSC )  Also the knowledge of the sommeliers - I ordered a chardonnay - not available - he did recommend a complete other grape ?? yes in the Gulf states in some restaurants there is only "white" and "red"  

Yes for me the F& B operations are very important  however "bad" entertainment also can be disturbing like a piano player constantly playing mistakes or a singer with a "crack"  repeatly.

Also the quality of the fruits was a disaster during my cruise.  

There are simply TOO many items on Explora not appropriate on a "luxury" cruise ship  ( and exception for RC and Eclipse i know nearly all of those ) 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, vistaman said:

I mostly agree with you.  I did add - in my strict review- the fact friendliness is not resolving everything and create a luxurious product. I did not like to explain to bartenders how to make some classics - ok that can happen once but not on a regular base.  I think seabreeze and negroni are not too complicated  -  seriously I did not risk to ask for more complicated items such as a Singapore sling ( afraid to send it back )  

I was sitting at the lobby bar yesterday and a woman ordered a Negroni not knowing what it entailed. I told her that it was a strong drink and mentioned to the bartender that my wife said that I made a terrible Negroni. He discussed all the intricacies of the drink and the necessity to use Tanqueray rather than a cheaper alternative. This guy certainly knows what he is doing. 

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

I was sitting at the lobby bar yesterday and a woman ordered a Negroni not knowing what it entailed. I told her that it was a strong drink and mentioned to the bartender that my wife said that I made a terrible Negroni. He discussed all the intricacies of the drink and the necessity to use Tanqueray rather than a cheaper alternative. This guy certainly knows what he is doing. 

While i board my wife expressed an alergy she had and Sulvestri in the lobby bar recommended a drink that we later researched and discovered it was a cure for that alergy. For me i was having some indigestion while at Mediterranean yatch club and our server proposed a remedy from her childhood in the Phillipines that worked well

10 hours ago, vistaman said:

Also the quality of the fruits was a disaster during my cruise. 

Your Explora experience is dated and has been repeated too many times.  The pineapple and blueberries during out first three week cruise were outstanding.  Second three week cruise did not come close to first.  But we all know how fruits can be spotty.

Typing after a bottle of cab on Serenity.  The house cab is so superior to that of Explora and SB.

Someone commented that the bed linens were superior on Explora versus Crystal.  Explora has polyester mattress covers.  And the linens are Frette, well regarded Italian brand.....but the Explora linens are made in India and far inferior to the offering on Crystal, SS, SB and H-L.

My entertainment interest does not go beyond the piano.  As much as I enjoyed Natalia on Explora, she is no competition to Stephen Roberts on Crystal.  One plays without reading, one does not.

One plays without finding the next selection on a computer, one does not.  But I am happy she is able to not be in Ukraine.  The piano player (Neal) in Avenue Saloon is a very good player and does a set without pause.

Food......too subjective to make a worthy comment.  It's tough to top Crystal.  Our second cruise on Explora did not have maple syrup.  Will be on SB Quest next month and have zero expectation it will be competitive with either Explora or Crystal.

3 minutes ago, saminina said:

Your Explora experience is dated and has been repeated too many times.  The pineapple and blueberries during out first three week cruise were outstanding.  Second three week cruise did not come close to first.  But we all know how fruits can be spotty.

Typing after a bottle of cab on Serenity.  The house cab is so superior to that of Explora and SB.

Someone commented that the bed linens were superior on Explora versus Crystal.  Explora has polyester mattress covers.  And the linens are Frette, well regarded Italian brand.....but the Explora linens are made in India and far inferior to the offering on Crystal, SS, SB and H-L.

My entertainment interest does not go beyond the piano.  As much as I enjoyed Natalia on Explora, she is no competition to Stephen Roberts on Crystal.  One plays without reading, one does not.

One plays without finding the next selection on a computer, one does not.  But I am happy she is able to not be in Ukraine.  The piano player (Neal) in Avenue Saloon is a very good player and does a set without pause.

Food......too subjective to make a worthy comment.  It's tough to top Crystal.  Our second cruise on Explora did not have maple syrup.  Will be on SB Quest next month and have zero expectation it will be competitive with either Explora or Crystal.

You would have loved our EJ cruise with multiple Steinway piano professionals doing most shows