Alaska with Mobility Scooter?

Guindalf

Anyone tell me what excursions are scooter-friendly? We'll be in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, BC. We're sailing on the Discovery Princess.

My ability to walk with a cane is severely limited and as we're flying in from ATL, it's unlikely I can also bring my Rollator (although we may try). All of the wheelchair accessible tours are sold out or at least wait-listed, so we've reserved the non-accessible versions where possible.

Our last visit, in 2019, I was able to walk relatively short distances, so we made it onto a whale-watching tour in Icy Strait Point, the Deadliest Catch tour in Ketchecan and even a float plane tour in Juneau.

Does anyone have anything to add?

(Post duplicated in 'Alaska Port Of Call')

Many excursions will be challenging for you. There is no place to put a scooter on a 12 or 15 passenger van or many minibuses., which are frequently used. Excursions that use Greyhound-style buses may be able to stow your scooter ib the luggage compartment, however you would likely need to ascend and descend the steps into/out of the bus.

One of the (free) shuttles at Sitka can accommodate wheeled devices. The train can as well, in the accessible car, with a reservation., 

I just did an Alaska cruise with my scooter.  I didn't do any excursions but DH went on the excursion to the glacier and he said I totally could have done it without the scooter.  You could scoot right down to whatever deck they board, then just walk on the boat and sit down.  I scootered all over Ketchikan, very scooter friendly.  I just went to the port building in Sitka but DH said the shuttle was the big kind with the luggage compartment so that would have been ok too.  I was very pleased with how it all worked out and we're thinking of doing it again next year.  I mean, you've got to be aware that you'll have some limitations but once you get over that hurdle you'll have a great time.  The thrill for me in Alaska is the scenery and you can enjoy that standing up or sitting down.  

• Like 1

I didn't go on the excursion, DH did and he was just saying I could have gone.  The boat came right up to the Westerdam.  I could have taken the scooter down to the deck it was on, then walked the few steps to the boat.  Once onboard he said there was lots of seating and of course killer views of the glacier.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 5:28 PM, cruisestitch said:

The is the Europe forum….don’t think there’s an Alaska forum though so maybe there should be….

This post is on the disabled cruisers forum. 

Does the Skagway train still pick up right at the port? About how long is the walk from ship to train?

• 3 months later...

In Juneau we booked a taxi from Juneau taxi and tours, you meet up with them in front of red dog saloon and they were able to put my scooter on the back of his van and we went out to mindenhall glacier. Set up a time for him to come back. They have some paths that were paved and some pressed gravel. Both were easy with the scooter