Guide to Tour Activity Ratings are Determined

SonomaMist

Is there a guide to how tours activities are rated for determining easy, moderate and strenuous?  While each tour has a rating, is there are matrix type document into how these are determined?  For instance, everything for an upcoming port for Pompeii seems to be strenuous, likely due to the walking but it's relatively flat.  Just curious to see if such a thing exists.  Thanks for any feedback.  

6 minutes ago, SonomaMist said:

Is there a guide to how tours activities are rated for determining easy, moderate and strenuous?  While each tour has a rating, is there are matrix type document into how these are determined?  For instance, everything for an upcoming port for Pompeii seems to be strenuous, likely due to the walking but it's relatively flat.  Just curious to see if such a thing exists.  Thanks for any feedback.  

I have not seen a chart, per se. But, PCl does give a lot of information on their excursions and on the details.  Look at the details of how long on the bus, the time at the site, etc.  Pompeii, probably strenuous, due to the walking.  It is relatively flat, but some uneven ground areas too.

The amount of time at the site, and walking are probably why.  I’ve taken some that said they were strenuous, but they weren’t in my mind.

I’ve booked and then once OB, checked with Shore excursions about my questions.  They were very good about making changes, if available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've done Pompeii (although it was with NCL.)  Personally, I would consider it a "moderate"...and I'm no spring chicken.  Of more concern to me would be the time of year and weather (temps).

Yes, it can be hot as h-e-dbl-hockeysticks there.

• Like 1

Pompeii is an ancient site. The streets are cobbled, uneven, with cart tracks in them and with very high kerbs. Although flat, walking in the site is not easy and distances are long. I am young(ish) and fit but I would always wear trainers as a minimum there. There is also very little shade. But if you are able to get there then I'd strongly recommend it - it's the most amazing place.

• Like 1