switching cruise next for cruise first

dbrown84

I've started using cruise first certs because I usually book insides and the cruise first generally offers more value.  The cruise next double up promos usually are for balconies and above.  I have a cruise booked for January that I booked with a $500 cruise first.  Right now, they are offering the double up for any cabin, any sailing.  So, I'm thinking I should take advantage and swap out my cruise first for two cruise next.  Either way, I'd get a $250 savings, but I could save my cruise first for my next booking, which probably won't have the any cabin double up available.  I was wondering if anyone has ever done this without doing a cancel/rebook?  The price of the cruise has gone up since I originally booked so I won't do it if they are going to re-price my cruise

We have switched to CF as well.  We typically buy a CF cert when they run the $250 for $500 cert.  It is nice that they start the 120 days from date of purchase which allows for use on cruises past final payment—although we haven’t used it for a last minute cruise.

Might be doable, although you may find that you have to find a more experienced rep.  I've removed CN's before when I wanted to use them for an earlier cruise - but always left a deposit in place.  The rub would be what happens if you remove your existing deposit and/or they stick to the "new reservation" clause that seems to be more restrictive with CF. Or run afoul when they won't let you combine CN/CF. 

Note: there have been random posts implying that the "new" reservation is no different for CF (meaning not an issue) and that they have been able to mix CF and CN.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Might be doable, although you may find that you have to find a more experienced rep.  I've removed CN's before when I wanted to use them for an earlier cruise - but always left a deposit in place.  The rub would be what happens if you remove your existing deposit and/or they stick to the "new reservation" clause that seems to be more restrictive with CF. Or run afoul when they won't let you combine CN/CF. 

Note: there have been random posts implying that the "new" reservation is no different for CF (meaning not an issue) and that they have been able to mix CF and CN.

We typically do the $250 deposit and booking through our PCC and then just apply the CF ourselves at a later time.

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I'd be good there because I don't want to combine CN/CF.  I'll be trying to remove the CF and replace with 2 CN.  And the CF would be used on a new reservation in the future.  I think I may just make it easier on everyone and decide on a cruise for next summer and use the two CN on it before the current double up promo ends

7 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I'd be good there because I don't want to combine CN/CF.  I'll be trying to remove the CF and replace with 2 CN.  And the CF would be used on a new reservation in the future.  I think I may just make it easier on everyone and decide on a cruise for next summer and use the two CN on it before the current double up promo ends

Another cruise…sounds like a great plan!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

I understand what you are wanting to do - the issue would be whether or not you could make the switch before their system caught the error and cancelled everything - or cancelled because there wasn't a deposit in place for a short period.

Be aware that if you apply 2 CN's now and then reprice at a later date, they may remove the 2nd CN if that promo is no longer valid.

• Like 1

Just now, julig22 said:

I understand what you are wanting to do - the issue would be whether or not you could make the switch before their system caught the error and cancelled everything - or cancelled because there wasn't a deposit in place for a short period.

Be aware that if you apply 2 CN's now and then reprice at a later date, they may remove the 2nd CN if that promo is no longer valid.

yeah, I've decided it's not worth the trouble.  And that is an excellent point about potentially losing the 2nd CN during a reprice.  I've never even thought of that

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

yeah, I've decided it's not worth the trouble.  And that is an excellent point about potentially losing the 2nd CN during a reprice.  I've never even thought of that

I was so hoping you would try it - with the aid of PCC/NCL.  Could be handy information for the future.  I definitely understand not being willing to risk losing a certificate no matter which type

37 minutes ago, smillerholmes said:

I was so hoping you would try it - with the aid of PCC/NCL.  Could be handy information for the future.  I definitely understand not being willing to risk losing a certificate no matter which type

The risk would be in losing the current reservation, not the certificate(s) in the original scenario.

In the 2nd scenario (using 2 CNs to book now), if you make a change to a reservation and the double-up promo is no longer available when you make a change, they could remove it from the reservation but it would go back into your account.