Canada/New England Excursions that are Handicap Accessible?

shorti503

We are going to Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, NB  in September 2024.  My mom has Parkinson's and very limited mobility.  She is pretty much wheelchair bound.  She can do transfers if they are not big (like a handful of steps), she can do some steps if they are wide enough for my dad to do them with her so he can help her.  She has a wheelchair that we push her around in and we can rent a scooter if needed.  

What type of excursions do you suggest that are handicap accessible?  She would LOVE to be able to go whale watching if there is a place that can accommodate her with getting on and off the boat. 

I appreciate the help.  This is a trip for my parents 50th Anniversary and she is feeling bad that she will hold everyone back and says she just wont get off the ship.  So I'm determined to find things that we can all do together.  We are also not opposed to renting a car somewhere if that would be the easiest option for us. 

I would recommend that you google the various tourist websites in those locations and then lookup the sites you are interested in seeing to find out if they are accessible.  For example, in Halifax one of the most popular destinations is Peggy's Cove but I looked up a tour there and it says it is not wheelchair accessible.  You could check out The Citadel, it's a National Historic Site so it should be accessible.  There is also the Titanic cemetery, and the wonderful 4KM harbour walk.  

50 minutes ago, marys350 said:

Try doing a Google search for each port of call using the words "wheelchair accessible excursions in (Boston, etc)". I just tried it for Boston and came up with this website, which you might want to check out for ideas. Good luck in your search and enjoy your cruise.

https://www.getyourguide.com/boston-l260/wheelchair-accessible-tc239/

Thank you! I will try that.  So far in my search everything im finding is not. So just looking for some ideas.

13 hours ago, shorti503 said:

We are going to Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, NB  in September 2024.  My mom has Parkinson's and very limited mobility.  She is pretty much wheelchair bound.  She can do transfers if they are not big (like a handful of steps), she can do some steps if they are wide enough for my dad to do them with her so he can help her.  She has a wheelchair that we push her around in and we can rent a scooter if needed.  

What type of excursions do you suggest that are handicap accessible?  She would LOVE to be able to go whale watching if there is a place that can accommodate her with getting on and off the boat. 

I appreciate the help.  This is a trip for my parents 50th Anniversary and she is feeling bad that she will hold everyone back and says she just wont get off the ship.  So I'm determined to find things that we can all do together.  We are also not opposed to renting a car somewhere if that would be the easiest option for us. 

You specifically asked about whale watching 🙂

Have you tried Google?

I just tried the following 

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=whale+watching+wheelchair+accessible&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and didn't even specify location.

I expected to see listings for Alaska, but the first one was for Boston area!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41580-d578654-r135023726-7_Seas_Whale_Watch-Gloucester_Cape_Ann_Massachusetts.html

Will you be arriving a day in advance (always a good idea anyway!)?

And the NE Aquarium website

https://www.neaq.org/visit/accessibility/#mobility

shows that:  

"Whale Watch accessibility: The Aurora, Asteria, and Cetacea Whale Watch boats offer wheelchair access to the main deck, including the exterior bow, stern, gallery, and a wheelchair-accessible restroom at the rear of the main deck."

And that probably leaves from downtown rather than Gloucester, which is on the north shore of the metro area.

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 1

You might want to/need to consider how the use of tenders may affect your cruise. Depending upon the specific ship and weather conditions, the transfer between the cruise ship and tenders can be a little challenging. Sometimes scooters and/or wheelchairs are not permitted aboard tenders (especially if the ship is using her own vessels).

On 8/8/2023 at 5:35 AM, GeezerCouple said:

You specifically asked about whale watching 🙂

Have you tried Google?

I just tried the following 

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=whale+watching+wheelchair+accessible&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and didn't even specify location.

I expected to see listings for Alaska, but the first one was for Boston area!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41580-d578654-r135023726-7_Seas_Whale_Watch-Gloucester_Cape_Ann_Massachusetts.html

Will you be arriving a day in advance (always a good idea anyway!)?

And the NE Aquarium website

https://www.neaq.org/visit/accessibility/#mobility

shows that:  

"Whale Watch accessibility: The Aurora, Asteria, and Cetacea Whale Watch boats offer wheelchair access to the main deck, including the exterior bow, stern, gallery, and a wheelchair-accessible restroom at the rear of the main deck."

And that probably leaves from downtown rather than Gloucester, which is on the north shore of the metro area.

Enjoy!

GC

Thank you! Will definitely check those out.  We are arriving a couple of days early.  We want to see some of New York.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:09 AM, FOPMan said:

You might want to/need to consider how the use of tenders may affect your cruise. Depending upon the specific ship and weather conditions, the transfer between the cruise ship and tenders can be a little challenging. Sometimes scooters and/or wheelchairs are not permitted aboard tenders (especially if the ship is using her own vessels).

Good to know.  I will look and see if we have to tender anywhere.

I have been to Peggy's Cove numerous times with my mobility scooter and had no problems.   They have wooden (new) boardwalks all around the area there.   They also have a nice gift shop/restaurant that serve good food (seafood chowder and fish and chips etc.).   I found it very accessible.

Where the ship docks in Halifax there is also a very long boardwalk with shops and restaurants very close by and easy with a wheelchair.   

To go to Peggy's Cove maybe you will need to get an accessible van for the wheelchair but I am sure it can be arranged.

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2023 at 5:20 PM, shorti503 said:

Depending on your timeframe in Portland, a ferry ride might work, and be fun for all of you.  There are several routes to choose from, so review on the Casco Bay Ferry website.   Link over to the ADA section and you will find a lot of information on how they can accommodate your mother.  Enjoy your cruise!

Casco Bay Island Ferry Service - Portland, Maine (cascobaylines.com)

Saint John is quite hilly; however, there is a Container Village right at the port, which could be of interest.  Shops, local foods (Beaver Tails, poutine).

The boardwalk in Halifax is our favorite thing to do there, and it begins right at the cruise terminal. Nice harbor views, places to eat/snack along the way, Maritime Museum at the far end.  I would choose that over a tour to Peggy's Cove or to the Citadel (very steep hills to get there) any day.

Portland has a narrow gauge railway very close to the port, as well as the ferry.  (However, I'm not sure how difficult it might be to board the train.)