Navigator app stopped working during cruise

gluttonfp

I'm on my first cruise, and I had the Navigator app working for the first 24 hours, but now I just keep getting a blank white screen. I've closed and reopened, rebooted my (Android/Samsung) phone, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but still tge sane thing. I briefly see the Holland America Navigator screen when I open tge app, then it goes to a blank white screen. Any suggested solutions?  I'm on the Noordam.

• Thanks 1

What specific phone/version of Android? The app does not get on well with older phones/versions of Android. It requires Android 10 or later: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hollandamerica.navigator.moapp&hl=en&gl=US.

A new version of the app was released yesterday (Monday).

For reinstalling, did you delete the original installation first?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Especially with a new release out, you should go to Guest Services  - they can help.

Guest services had me uninstall and reinstall again, which didn't help. They did help me log in to the Navigator web page, which works, it's just clunkier than the app (when working!) My phone is  a Samsung S23, so it's relatively new. How would I clear the cache?  I've reinstalled multiple times now, and tried while in Ketchikan in case it didn't like the ship ifi, but I'm still getting the same white screen. At least hubby's app still works.

• Like 1

The advice to clear the cache is correct.  No amount of reinstalling or rebooting will help if the cache is not cleared.  Plenty of online instruction for how to do it, depending upon the type of phone you have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, visagrunt said:

The advice to clear the cache is correct.  No amount of reinstalling or rebooting will help if the cache is not cleared.  Plenty of online instruction for how to do it, depending upon the type of phone you have.

Doesn't uninstalling an app clear the cache and data, since the app is being removed?

7 hours ago, gluttonfp said:

Doesn't uninstalling an app clear the cache and data, since the app is being removed?

No, normally not.  Problem for me is that my telephone uses the dutch language and that I do not remember the exact names in english.. So : Go to settings/Apps/Navigator/Storage?/Empty cache (My Samsumg phone lower right corner).

Edited by MAVIP
the

9 hours ago, gluttonfp said:

The temporary cache, yes. The internal storage, no. Getting rid of both and then uninstall / reinstall will cause the app to rebuild its database. BTW - this happens with a fair number of apps, so it's good advice to remember. You may only use the advice twice a year, but it's good to know how to brute force fix something.

• Thanks 2