Looking for a good beach and restaurant in La Paz

Jillian724

We will be in La Paz for the first time - it says we will arrive in port at 8am and leave at 5pm (not sure if that is ship time or local time).  We have activities planned on other port days and really want to go freestyle for La Paz.  Specifically, we are looking for a beach day and a nice lunch. 

BEACH - Any recommendations on a nice beach with good sand/water? Any recommendations on how to get there?

LUNCH - Any recommendations for a place to have lunch that would be easily accessible? Maybe near the beach we might go to or on the way back, etc. Looking for standard non seafood Mexican fare but good quality and taste.  Bonus if there is a nice atmosphere but mainly need to make sure the location is doable based on where we go to the beach, where the ship is docked, etc.   

Same.  We will be going in November for the first time.

One idea I have saved is Tecolote Beach.  Has restaurants and at least one beach club - but looks a bit nicer and less crowded than Medano beach in Cabo.

I have posted on the Trip Advisor La Paz forum but no replies yet.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, Jillian724 said:

Tecolote Beach.  Has restaurants and at least one beach club - but looks a bit nicer and less crowded than Medano beach in Cabo

To me "nicer" might be based on perspective.  I would call Tecolote beach quite a bit more rustic than Medano beach.  The beach bars are all pretty simple. The beach itself is a touch rocky in places along the shore and the water for swimming - at least to me - isn't as nice as Medano beach.  On the plus side, there aren't nearly as many people and very few vendors on the beach at Tecolote in comparison to Medano beach.  It's also easy to get some simple tours at Tecolote as well to places like Isla Espiritu Santo.

The best beach for scenery in the La Paz - even the though services are limited and it is now capacity limited - is Balandra Beach.  Balandra is in a protected bay and the water is amazing.  The beach is reputed to be one of the best in all of Mexico.  Balandra would be my number #1 pick for scenery and water although get there early to make sure you get in.