Port change on Norwegian Fjord Cruise

rsquare

Does anyone have any idea why HAL's May 25 2024 Norwegian fjord cruise has dropped Geiranger and the Geraingerfjord, substituting Flam and the Sognefjord?

Gerainger was a tender port, so presumably no issues of multiple ships in port.  Seems to have been a last-minute move, since no shore excursions for Flam are shown on HAL's website, although at the same time there seems to have been some ongoing problem with Gerainger, since no shorex were shown for that port, either in late July.

• Thanks 1

I don't know for sure, but it might have to do with Norway starting to disallow large diesel fueled ships into the World Heritage Site of Geirangerfjord in the future.  Some ships are still sailing there though.  My June 2020 cruise on Crystal was originally scheduled to go there but was cancelled for "operational reasons" also. (later completely cancelled for Covid anyway)

I wonder if HAL would tell the real reason (other than the ubiquitous "operational reasons").  Have you asked them?

Good luck but Flam is a great place to go as well.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Next year I am going on the new Havila coastal voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes to Bergen.  They are not a "cruise" but the ships are beautiful and actually exceed the future Norway environmental regulations for ships.  Hurtigruten in nice too but was more expensive for the same voyage when I booked Havila.  Havila ships can sail on only battery power into the Geirangerfjord in the summer.  Imagine.......sailing along with no engine noise!!!  

The coastal routes are something to consider if one isn't tied to going on an actual cruise ship.

Skipene - Havila Kystruten (havilavoyages.com)

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SuzWillCruise said:

We had the two week version booked, and Flam was already part of our itinerary.

Geraingerfjord was our main reason for booking, so we’re strongly considering canceling.

I have a similar version (two separate one-week cruises) in July, booked for the opportunity to cruise Sognefjord, Hardangerfjord and Geraingerfjord. I hope they won't change it. Debating whether to take this cruise anyway based on recent HAL experience; that would decide the matter for me.

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam, and Geiranger was one of the stops.  The cruise director said that  was the NS' last ever trip to Geiranger due to the new environmental restrictions.  Even though officially those do not go into effect until January 2025, she said that there are currently discussions to impose them earlier.  

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

Next year I am going on the new Havila coastal voyage from Bergen to Kirkenes to Bergen.  They are not a "cruise" but the ships are beautiful and actually exceed the future Norway environmental regulations for ships.  Hurtigruten in nice too but was more expensive for the same voyage when I booked Havila.  Havila ships can sail on only battery power into the Geirangerfjord in the summer.  Imagine.......sailing along with no engine noise!!!  

The coastal routes are something to consider if one isn't tied to going on an actual cruise ship.

Skipene - Havila Kystruten (havilavoyages.com)

~Nancy

Thank you so much for that link.  Norway is my husband's Ultimate Bucket List and Geirangerfjord is one of his Must Do ports.  We are more about the ports than the ship.  I think this will suit admirably.  🙂 

12 hours ago, Anubi said:

Thank you so much for that link.  Norway is my husband's Ultimate Bucket List and Geirangerfjord is one of his Must Do ports.  We are more about the ports than the ship.  I think this will suit admirably.  🙂 

BUT, the port stops are generally short on the coastal voyages other than one larger city per day where you will be in port for maybe 3 hours.  These are working ships which carry cargo and people from port to port as well as the full voyage passengers.  Please check the timetable below.  The coastal voyages on both Havila and Hurtigruten are about the scenery mostly. They go into Geiranger between June 1st and the end of August. It's not the same as a regular cruise.  Check the YouTube and Cruise Critic reviews before you decide.  

Sailing schedule - Havila Voyages

Good luck with planning!  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

13 hours ago, newcruisers70 said:

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam, and Geiranger was one of the stops.  The cruise director said that  was the NS' last ever trip to Geiranger due to the new environmental restrictions.  Even though officially those do not go into effect until January 2025, she said that there are currently discussions to impose them earlier.  

We’re supposed to go there next week on the Rotterdam, hopefully we’ll make it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newcruisers70 said:

I had a not-so-great time on NS, but I'm glad I got to see Geiranger one last time. It's truly spectacular and the main reason I've sailed a fjords itinerary 4 times. I guess this explains the bait-and-switch of NS not actually "scenic cruising" in Geiranger for a second day after Alesund.

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

BUT, the port stops are generally short on the coastal voyages other than one larger city per day where you will be in port for maybe 3 hours.  These are working ships which carry cargo and people from port to port as well as the full voyage passengers.  Please check the timetable below.  The coastal voyages on both Havila and Hurtigruten are about the scenery mostly. They go into Geiranger between June 1st and the end of August. It's not the same as a regular cruise.  Check the YouTube and Cruise Critic reviews before you decide.  

Sailing schedule - Havila Voyages

Good luck with planning!  

~Nancy

Yes we noticed that, the number of ports vs the number of days.  Clearly more research is necessary but if that's the only way to get into Geiranger then that's the way we will be going.  

So Geirangerfjord was replaced with Sognefjord. I've never seen either yet. Is the Geirangerfjord that much more spectacular? From what I can find online, the Sognefjord will be quite a nice sight as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ConanD said:

So Geirangerfjord was replaced with Sognefjord. I've never seen either yet. Is the Geirangerfjord that much more spectacular? From what I can find online, the Sognefjord will be quite a nice sight as well.

In my opinion, they're all breathtaking. But there's something extra special about Geiranger. I've always chosen my Norwegian itineraries based on whether or not Geiranger was included. There's a reason it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anubi said:

Yes we noticed that, the number of ports vs the number of days.  Clearly more research is necessary but if that's the only way to get into Geiranger then that's the way we will be going.  

"Where there's a will there's a way"!  I love the whole coastal journey, but I understand it may be to laid back for some.  I just found out that Havila also offers a one-day trip from Alesund into Geiranger and back to Alesund. It's actually just part of their regular route, but passengers can opt for this portion only as a "Port to Port" ticket.  If you can get to Alesund by other means, it's a cool option. There is a ferry every day too from Alesund to Geiranger that would be good.  However, the Havila ships are so nice looking I would consider them over the regular ferry.  Either way you are seeing the fjord!!!  Or......Check this out:

Ålesund to Geiranger Ferry from $50 | Tickets & Timetables | Rome2Rio

The Magical Fjords of Norway Bergen-Tromsø - Havila Voyages

Have fun planning your Norway trip.....I sure am!!!

~Nancy

11 hours ago, ConanD said:

For what it's worth, Rick Steves says that the Naeroyfjord, which comes off of the Sognefjord, is Norway's most scenic fjord.  There's a ferry that goes from Flam to Gudvangen, and there are tour operators that will take you down the fjord.

• Thanks 1

We were just on the Gudvagen-Flam Ferry round trip and it is well worth it.  Yes from Flam, there are tour operators who will take you on a small boat excursion to experience the fjord from that experience.  Also, you might consider renting a car from Bergen and driving to Geiranger.  We did it round trip from Bergen in a day.  If you wanted time to explore, there are hotels in the area

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the cruise we took down the fjord to Pulpit rock frommStanvanger it was beautiful many islands waterfalls etc 

I get all the fjords mixed up but Eidsfjord was also pretty special ...very very pretty 

the only thing that got to me was grey skies and rain rain rain ...it did get tedious also fog and rain in Nord Kap was a big disappointment ..but we did fjords it was fine knowing no more big cruise ships in fjords 

I felt after Holland changed 3 ports to others no on shore excursions no busses, no taxis no trains nothing to help see what was there ..really missed the boat ... Rey disappointing .Holland must have better offers for visits or work with locals to set something up so our last 3 ports were duds .
also get more busses if demand is bigger ...I missed glacier tour sold out 😩😩😩

2 hours ago, Minoushka said:

I really enjoyed the cruise we took down the fjord to Pulpit rock frommStanvanger it was beautiful many islands waterfalls etc 

I get all the fjords mixed up but Eidsfjord was also pretty special ...very very pretty 

the only thing that got to me was grey skies and rain rain rain ...it did get tedious also fog and rain in Nord Kap was a big disappointment ..but we did fjords it was fine knowing no more big cruise ships in fjords 

I felt after Holland changed 3 ports to others no on shore excursions no busses, no taxis no trains nothing to help see what was there ..really missed the boat ... Rey disappointing .Holland must have better offers for visits or work with locals to set something up so our last 3 ports were duds .
also get more busses if demand is bigger ...I missed glacier tour sold out 😩😩😩

Minoushka, have you reviewed your cruise anywhere? If not, could you expand on your itinerary changes and lack of shore excursions? I am planning a bucket list HAL Norwegian fjord cruise and would appreciate your insights. Thank you!

On 8/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, newcruisers70 said:

We too were just on the Nieuw Statendam. While I missed that port talk, I do recall the captain saying that we were using the Seawalk instead of tendering, as Geiranger no longer wants ships to be using their engines for powering the ship while in the port.  We had considered cancelling our trip when Gothenburg was substituted instead of Bergen, but figured that time is running out to visit the fjords with the onset of the new environmental regulations.

On 8/11/2023 at 5:07 AM, ExpatBride said:

I had a not-so-great time on NS, but I'm glad I got to see Geiranger one last time. It's truly spectacular and the main reason I've sailed a fjords itinerary 4 times. I guess this explains the bait-and-switch of NS not actually "scenic cruising" in Geiranger for a second day after Alesund.

I wasn't crazy about the NS myself, as I shared in the Roll Call thread. That "scenic cruising" never made sense, given the distance between Alesund and Gothenburg, and I wrote it off from the beginning as an error that crept in when they changed the itinerary around which never got fixed rather than a bait & switch.  It just never made sense that we would go back into the fjord after just having exited it the day before.

Edited by Zukini

Re review where we went .,because of the Nordic names I really could not tell you 

I do know wemissed Bergen got Flam instead 

skolden , and Skagen too neither ready for tourists big disappointment 

now with Norwegian govt cracking down on big ships it will be harder to go into some fjords 

I mentioned Eidsfjord and Pulpit rock they were exceptional 

other places with no tours made it Ho hum 

they did change ports at last minute too so go with open mind 

be aware never saw any wildlife anywhere ....nothing ...so it's very different from Alaska 

I did it would,I go again ...no I hated the grey continuous rain cold ..not for me 

We have done Norway 3 times and loved it. Again nothing was cancelled and only a little rain in Flam.  Glad we did it pre Covid as so much is changing. Last year did Iceland and 2 stops in Norway and it was great cool weather.

It is always luck of the draw.

We had ports cancelled on a TA so you just never know

• Like 1

Thank you for the updates. Our May Rotterdam cruise next year had geiranger and stavanger changed. I am trying to decide whether to cancel. If anyone on Rotterdam could ask whether all of the Rotterdam sailings in 2024 will cancel geiranger, that would be good to know.

On 8/12/2023 at 5:22 PM, Zukini said:

That "scenic cruising" never made sense, given the distance between Alesund and Gothenburg, and I wrote it off from the beginning as an error that crept in when they changed the itinerary around which never got fixed rather than a bait & switch.  It just never made sense that we would go back into the fjord after just having exited it the day before.

I actually wrote HAL about this and was told directly that the revised itinerary with "scenic cruising" was correct. This was my fourth times sailing a fjords itinerary and it didn't make sense to me, which I explained to them in the email to highlight why I was questioning it.