Maui options

CaptJerry51

10 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

If ships come in I think it would be great if they somehow organized a thing where cruise passengers could bring whatever supplies we could bring in..

It is a very nice thought, but Hawaii has a very robust interisland barge system that brings in supplies. I am sure Target, Costco, Walmart, etc will have no issue getting supplies they need.

Money and blood will be the things in short supply for awhile.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This map was generated by locals to help tourist know where to visit at this time. The situation is dynamic, but October is only a few short weeks away. I'd plan to stick to areas that are open.  Kaanapali is on the west side. I'd wouldn't plan to venture there. Kahului is the only port accepting ship and it's on the 'open' side.

Visit Hilo, Paia, Upcountry, Kihei, Ma'alaea, Wailea-Makena. For beach, Makena is great, but be very aware of ocean conditions on the particular day you are visiting. It's called  'break-neck' beach for a reason. If not Makena, any stretch along Kihei/wailea coast. Sugar beach in the north part of Kihei is the longest stretch of white sand on the island. 

image.thumb.png.ec6d6e09da80e09033571fce128b138a.png

Keep in mind that their was also substantial fire damage from a different fire up near Kula upcountry.

While the area is open there are survivors from Lahina that are or will be housed in that area as well as resorts over in the closed area. That some activities and excursions that were offered by resorts in the open area nolonger available.  

While it is open there are still impacts. 

If one chooses to go to the open side. Understand that it may not be fully normal. To be respectful of the situation. Be patient and do not become a problem tourist.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

It is a very nice thought, but Hawaii has a very robust interisland barge system that brings in supplies. I am sure Target, Costco, Walmart, etc will have no issue getting supplies they need.

Money and blood will be the things in short supply for awhile.

They are already indicating in some news stories that they do not need clothes and similar donations. As is normal in disasters, many pack up used clothes, blankets, etc to donate. Many of those donations end up in land fills or goodwill. Not easy to process or distribute.

Much more efficient to donate money. That enables them to purchase what is needed without tying up shipment and distribution resources for old clothes and blankets that may never get used.

Have seen how old clothes get handled and end up at several incidents while volunteering.

Edited by ldtr

2 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

How about the beaches on the coast by Paia? I’ll checked it out Google maps and seems like there’s quite a few east of the airport. Maybe we could just do those and then do the road to Hana a little bit and then turn around? My mom is 72 so we need a beach. That’s a quick in and out and we wouldnt be  more than one hour. Ideally more like a park with benches. 

Beaches on the north are probably going to be too rough for your liking. Kanaha (not to be confused with Kahana) is walking distance from the ship and famous for kite boarding.  Hook'ipa just outside of Paia is where you will find surfers. If you are coming in the winter months you may get lucky and Jaws will put on a show. 

Stick to the south beaches. Makena if the ocean conditions cooperate. Kam 1, 2, or 3 are lovely. Sugar is long and white. Plenty of choices. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Beaches on the north are probably going to be too rough for your liking. Kanaha (not to be confused with Kahana) is walking distance from the ship and famous for kite boarding.  Hook'ipa just outside of Paia is where you will find surfers. If you are coming in the winter months you may get lucky and Jaws will put on a show. 

Stick to the south beaches. Makena if the ocean conditions cooperate. Kam 1, 2, or 3 are lovely. Sugar is long and white. Plenty of choices. 

In the winter even the beaches in Kihei can be rough. Makena usually a bit better as far as waves.

29 minutes ago, ldtr said:

In the winter even the beaches in Kihei can be rough. Makena usually a bit better as far as waves.

Please provide a reference for Makena being "better" or calmer/safer than any of the Kam's?

Makena is called Breakneck beach because it's one of the most dangerous beaches on Maui. I get 10x more text alerts that tourists are being treated for spinal injuries from Makena/Big Beach than any other beach in maui. This is not a beach that should be recommended to tourists without at least acknowledging that they must use caution with the shorebreak.

image.png.4b23ec22cea9394d48dfb064ea6afa33.png

https://haleakalaecotours.com/10-things-never-do-in-hawaii/

image.png.8f953115353c727137bd28f0d7730cc8.png

image.png.5dc6020540058e4cf3729c831bd88975.png

https://www.paradise-found-in-maui.com/big-beach-maui.html

But I'm only a winter resident on Maui staying January-May. Hopefully some of the full time residents will chime in.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Please provide a reference for Makena being "better" or calmer/safer than any of the Kam's?

Makena is called Breakneck beach because it's one of the most dangerous beaches on Maui. I get 10x more text alerts that tourists are being treated for spinal injuries from Makena/Big Beach than any other beach in maui. This is not a beach that should be recommended to tourists without at least acknowledging that they must use caution with the shorebreak.

image.png.4b23ec22cea9394d48dfb064ea6afa33.png

https://haleakalaecotours.com/10-things-never-do-in-hawaii/

image.png.8f953115353c727137bd28f0d7730cc8.png

image.png.5dc6020540058e4cf3729c831bd88975.png

https://www.paradise-found-in-maui.com/big-beach-maui.html

But I'm only a winter resident on Maui staying January-May. Hopefully some of the full time residents will chime in.

Used to spend a lot 30 days each winter in Kihei. Often the bea h  whi d the old Maui Prince just beyond the Makena Church was the  calmest around. Unlike some of the   beaches there. Have seen it almost when the  b beaches in Kihea have been pretty much  unuseable.

I am taking  about Malauka beach right at the town of Makena. There are a couple of others in near the town and the kayak launching area.

Not big beach in that area which some maps list as Makena Beach even though it is well past the town of Makena. Avoid that beach for a number of reason including car break ins and other issues.

Edited by ldtr