Maui options

CaptJerry51

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NOOOOooooo! 😞 😞 😞 I didn't even think of that.

I've read of bodies being found father inland in the subdivisions along Lanahinaluna St, but nothing along front street. Particularly along this stretch, the ocean is so close and it's a short jump over the lava wall there. I going to believe they found refuge in the water, but this shows just how fast this fire was moving :(. 

Keep in mind with 80 mile an hour winds the surf would have been rough. Reports are that some who went in the water still succumbed to smoke.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NOOOOooooo! 😞 😞 😞 I didn't even think of that.

I've read of bodies being found father inland in the subdivisions along Lanahinaluna St, but nothing along front street. Particularly along this stretch, the ocean is so close and it's a short jump over the lava wall there. I going to believe they found refuge in the water, but this shows just how fast this fire was moving :(. 

There have been scenes like that in the Oakland Hills, the Cedar Fire ( San Diego, 2003), Camp Fire ( Paradise). Many other fires. I went to the first two fires. Again,  the outcome was bad. People get lost in the smoke and fire..stopped driving...traffic backs up at the worst time, in the worst location. 

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Bruse negativity won't help the people who survived this disaster , government & industry must lock arms , make a plan & carry it out in a timely way

Many many things need to be done. For outsiders like us, its not time yet to plan a visit.

• Like 3

I have a cruise in March that was scheduled for Lahaina...I know it will not go to Lahaina, I doubt it will go to Maui, but that is not really my concern at this point. My heart is sad for the people of Lahaina, Maui & Hawai'i...for the loss of homes, businesses, livelihoods...for all the amazing history lost...but mostly for the people lost & for those who can't locate their loved ones & don't know if they are alive or dead...I am not a fire or recovery expert, but the previous worst fire in the country hit close to me (I had lived in Paradise for years, my parents spent their retirement years in the area of the Camp Fire & I had family & friends there during that time)...when I visited about a year later, they had barely begun to rebuild...there are so many factors, it is not like rebuilding after a single house fire, the fire can be so hot that toxic metals leach into the ground, trees can burn from the roots & the ground itself may need to be remediated before any building can start & many other factors need to be considered & this was in a place where there was easy access to materials & supplies not on an island in the middle of the ocean...but all that will remain a question for some time, the fire chief said it best in one of the press conferences I watched...I wish I had his exact words but to paraphrase...they area needs to be treated as sacred, they need time to go in & recover & remove the bones of their friends & family...the fire is not even out yet & last I heard they had only searched 3% of Lahaina...this is first, to care for the living, recover the lost, to grieve & then for the experts to do their stuff & the people of Maui & Lahaina to decide how best to rebuild for their families & their economy not for us & when they are ready they will welcome us back...but in the meantime we need to support them in any way we can (prayer, supplies, money...) & remember that they have sustained an unimaginable blow

• Like 5

On 8/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Somebody needs to check their calendar...we aren't in the 1940s anymore.

Bruce the See Bees was a reference .They built many roads & bridges on islands in the Pacific for troop & supply movements  ..what we were referencing is what was accomplished   8 decades ago should happen much faster with todays technology ,building methods etc . We support all  the efforts to rebuild the Lahania area on Maui  .All resources need to be employed ti bring back life as close as it was before this horrible wildfire , There is a fact that no one should deny is that the entire island of Maui main sources of income  are from tourism . so the goals are many not just the rebuild 

22 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Bruce the See Bees was a reference .They built many roads & bridges on islands in the Pacific for troop & supply movements  ..what we were referencing is what was accomplished   8 decades ago should happen much faster with todays technology ,building methods etc . We support all  the efforts to rebuild the Lahania area on Maui  .All resources need to be employed ti bring back life as close as it was before this horrible wildfire , There is a fact that no one should deny is that the entire island of Maui main sources of income  are from tourism . so the goals are many not just the rebuild 

Have been to Maui 12 to 15 times. My mother was born in Hawaii. I know a little about Hawaii.

The fact is there is a strong sentiment AGAINST tourism on Maui.

• Like 1

Latest report.  Newly built tender pier survived the fire.  The problem is that there are many sunken/damaged boats that have to be cleared out before the Coast Guard will allow traffic again.  Priority will go to the Ferry between Molokai and Lanai (which currently just started up at a nearby harbor) and support groups.

Lahaina and West Maui has always had a choke point when it came to traffic.  A brush fire or traffic accident would often close down the highway (not even a freeway) between West Maui and the other parts of Maui.  

Priority at this point is to allow residents back in.  With no infrastructure to support them, it's tough.  No electricity.  No cell service.  No internet.  No medical.  No supermarkets.  No water.  Slowly, these things are coming back online.  Critical shortage of basic needs like ice.  

Maui (like all the other islands) is the most isolated land in the world.  2500 miles from the nearest source of supplies.  Everything has to be shipped in.  

There is no doubt that (all) the islands rely on tourism.  I read somewhere (do not quote me) that cruise ships, for the immediate future, will by pass Maui as not to add stress to a straining island.  There is discussion regarding a shortage of accommodations too.  The other islands are welcoming visitors.  I would welcome an overnight in Hilo (my favorite town).  

What would take the mainland to rebound in a year, expect the Maui to take twice that long.  And Lahaina will never be the same.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have been to Maui 12 to 15 times. My mother was born in Hawaii. I know a little about Hawaii.

The fact is there is a strong sentiment AGAINST tourism on Maui.

We also have been to the islands  many times .We spent 2 weeks each time twice on Maui as well as many cruises there .We just can't understand "strong sentiment against tourism " . Since you know all about the Hawaiian islands ,then what percent of gross incomes come from tourism ? Once you so that math you will soon find out it is much more than 50%  .Thus ,how would they survive with the population Hawaii needs to support? It is only reasonable to keep tourism alive & well . This is 2024 not the age of the Kings & Queens of Hawaii . No tourism on Maui no Maui because what industry would take it's place & employ many thousands ?  Who would invest in real estate , hotels ,tour boats etc  etc

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Latest report.  Newly built tender pier survived the fire.  The problem is that there are many sunken/damaged boats that have to be cleared out before the Coast Guard will allow traffic again.  Priority will go to the Ferry between Molokai and Lanai (which currently just started up at a nearby harbor) and support groups.

Lahaina and West Maui has always had a choke point when it came to traffic.  A brush fire or traffic accident would often close down the highway (not even a freeway) between West Maui and the other parts of Maui.  

Priority at this point is to allow residents back in.  With no infrastructure to support them, it's tough.  No electricity.  No cell service.  No internet.  No medical.  No supermarkets.  No water.  Slowly, these things are coming back online.  Critical shortage of basic needs like ice.  

Maui (like all the other islands) is the most isolated land in the world.  2500 miles from the nearest source of supplies.  Everything has to be shipped in.  

There is no doubt that (all) the islands rely on tourism.  I read somewhere (do not quote me) that cruise ships, for the immediate future, will by pass Maui as not to add stress to a straining island.  There is discussion regarding a shortage of accommodations too.  The other islands are welcoming visitors.  I would welcome an overnight in Hilo (my favorite town).  

What would take the mainland to rebound in a year, expect the Maui to take twice that long.  And Lahaina will never be the same.

For immediate needs everything will need to be flown in by  cargo planes ,then cargo ships .with the proper equipment & trained operators ,the burnt areas can be cleared relatively quickly . Then that debris needs to get disposed . Ince that is done , more roads ,housing & business can be built  .It is going to take the county of Maui ,the State of Hawaii & the US Federal government  to agree in a plan of action & financing

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

For immediate needs everything will need to be flown in by  cargo planes ,then cargo ships .with the proper equipment & trained operators ,the burnt areas can be cleared relatively quickly . Then that debris needs to get disposed . Ince that is done , more roads ,housing & business can be built  .It is going to take the county of Maui ,the State of Hawaii & the US Federal government  to agree in a plan of action & financing

We are an island.  Limited space to dispose of debris.  I mostly agree with everything else.  Not sure if the airport runway is large enough for huge cargo planes.  We have a port that is very functional.  We have one barge company (Young's Brothers).  Limited resources for construction workers.  Many will need to come from the mainland.  It's going to happen.  It will just cost more and take a lot of time.  

• Like 2

Our Church with live TV world wide is taking a Love Collection Next Sunday for rebuilding  a church destroyed in the fire as well as some business   . We believe it will be very substantial ,since the church reaches millions of people world wide

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We are an island.  Limited space to dispose of debris.  I mostly agree with everything else.  Not sure if the airport runway is large enough for huge cargo planes.  We have a port that is very functional.  We have one barge company (Young's Brothers).  Limited resources for construction workers.  Many will need to come from the mainland.  It's going to happen.  It will just cost more and take a lot of time.  

I wonder of the military is going to help .They have construction battalions that are capable of bridges roads ,airfields ie ?

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

I wonder of the military is going to help .They have construction battalions that are capable of bridges roads ,airfields ie ?

The Navy also bought the defunct Super Ferry.  But no word about its use.  West Maui has a very very very small airport. 

One can only hope that Hawaii State assigns a capable coordinator with the Federal Government.  Gov. Green is a very smart man and well liked by many.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

imo I believe Lahania can recover a lot faster as long as politics does not  enter into the rebuilding 

What you are saying is a perfect representation of what is bugging some in Hawaii, and on Maui specifically. The outside of Hawaii, tourist dollar driven people telling Hawaiians how they should live their lives. There have been several recent actions to decrease, or attempt to decrease the effect of tourist dollars on Maui. You could relate it to cruise lines being squeezed out of other ports in the world, Hawaiian style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What you are saying is a perfect representation of what is bugging some in Hawaii, and on Maui specifically. The outside of Hawaii, tourist dollar driven people telling Hawaiians how they should live their lives. There have been several recent actions to decrease, or attempt to decrease the effect of tourist dollars on Maui. You could relate it to cruise lines being squeezed out of other ports in the world, Hawaiian style.

I never told any one how yo live their life including any one who lives  on the Hawaiian islands ,where do you get this idea ?  what is best for Hawaii id what Hawaii can do for itself . Look ,all we want to do is help them & certainly Churches & other organizations collecting money to send there should help a lpt , Then they need to help themselves as well  . As far as rebuilt should take less time today than building is concerned ,it should take less time that it did when Pearl Harbor was attacked , Using then as a comparison .Yet PearHarbor was rebuilt & surrounding areas .when combined efforts are going in the same direction together then things happen faster .Certainly ,all people want to see the pain of this  horrible fire raken off the shoulders of those who have burdened this disaster

We just got home after spending a week on the west side of Maui.  On Tuesday there were very strong winds and the electricity went out early in the morning. The power to our condo was eventually restored late Saturday evening.  We had limited cell service.

On the way to the airport we got a glimpse of Lahaina and saw the devastation.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:33 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have two friends I work with at Pacific Whale that are still missing. I fear for them also but are hopeful they are just can't get out communication yet. They were both very young.

I've never put a photo of myself up on CC, but this is me last April at Waikiki Brewery on Front Street in Lahaina.

We were planning to go to the Brewery last week.  Hopefully, you will hear from your friends soon.  We had limited cell service while we were on the west side of Maui.

Edited by BSR

12 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

As far as rebuilt should take less time today than building is concerned ,it should take less time that it did when Pearl Harbor was attacked , Using then as a comparison .Yet PearHarbor was rebuilt & surrounding areas .when combined efforts are going in the same direction together then things happen faster

We're talking about apples and oranges here. Pearl Harbor was a strategic US Naval Base that was quickly rebuilt/repaired in the context of its need to support a major world war. 

Lahaina is a historic town that has a ton of different stakeholders responsible for its eventual rebuilding. Some of those stakeholders are very much at odds with each other-- there are major businesses there that will want to rebuild as soon as possible coupled with local elements who have been looking for ways to reduce tourism. Then you sprinkle in that the local county government overall is quite dysfunctional and moves on these things at a snails pace even in the best of times. Then there is the sheer logistics of rebuilding itself. Unlike Pearl Harbor, this isn't a military operation with an unlimited budget. 

I think you mean well but you simply don't understand the complex (and dysfunctional) way that things in Hawaii work on a government and infrastructure level. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

As far as rebuilt should take less time today than building is concerned ,it should take less time that it did when Pearl Harbor was attacked , 

Is this the right comparison?

Lytton hasn't recovered. What about Paradise?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lytton_wildfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Fire_(2018)

Frankly, the world is changing. Lahaina isn't the first town to be destroyed. Nor the last. We should all look around our own homes, and prepare for the next disaster.

• Like 1

I think the original question asked by the op was where the cruises would be going instead of Lahaina. 

According to Hawaii Port Call the Noordam will be in Nawiliwili, Kauai in Oct and the K'dam will be in Kahului, Maui in Dec. 

Lahaina has nothing listed until January 2024. And then only 17 port calls listed for all of 2024.  Guessing those ships just haven't been removed yet. 

These are the listing links

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Nawiliwili - Kauai

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Kahului - Maui

https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Lahaina - Maui

Thank you @zelker

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2