He lives and works 300 days a year on "The Freedom of the Seas"

On 8/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, alfaeric said:

Your point about the laptop is valid, although it's also something you can deal with- get a dock and use the room monitor via the HDMI cable.  Also, the number of people who live with just a laptop for work is pretty darned high.  

I've got two monitors, a dock, cables, etc that fit nicely in a suitcase.  I bring that with me when I travel and plan to be in the same place for more than a couple days.  It's really quite easy and I could easily set it up in a cruise ship room.  The chair would be the bigger concern for me.  

Here's my workstation at the Marriott Circular Quay earlier this month:image.thumb.png.46a034f028eb8aa9d4081a2f2fbbb729.png  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I've got two monitors, a dock, cables, etc that fit nicely in a suitcase.  I bring that with me when I travel and plan to be in the same place for more than a couple days.  It's really quite easy and I could easily set it up in a cruise ship room.  The chair would be the bigger concern for me.  

Here's my workstation at the Marriott Circular Quay earlier this month:image.thumb.png.46a034f028eb8aa9d4081a2f2fbbb729.png  

Wow, it’s impressive you were able to travel with all of that! How do you fly with your monitors? How do you not exceed the weight limit? I worked from my parents’ city and just bought a monitor to store there because I was nervous about flying with my monitors. 

11 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Wow, it’s impressive you were able to travel with all of that! How do you fly with your monitors? How do you not exceed the weight limit? I worked from my parents’ city and just bought a monitor to store there because I was nervous about flying with my monitors. 

The weight limit is not necessarily a restriction. They just charge an arm & a leg if you go over. If he can absorb it in the business expense and also write it off......

I was on a business trip to Russia in 2007 and when I was about to board a flight to Budapest, my bag weighed 70 lbs (the amount allowed when I flew to Russia from the US initially) and I was only allowed 50lbs for the flight from Russia to Hungary. No problem, $350 extra paid by my employer made the flight possible anyway.

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

The weight limit is not necessarily a restriction. They just charge an arm & a leg if you go over. If he can absorb it in the business expense and also write it off......

I was on a business trip to Russia in 2007 and when I was about to board a flight to Budapest, my bag weighed 70 lbs (the amount allowed when I flew to Russia from the US initially) and I was only allowed 50lbs for the flight from Russia to Hungary. No problem, $350 extra paid by my employer made the flight possible anyway.

That makes sense if it’s a business trip because of “business need”, but choosing to work from a cruise ship doesn’t constitute “business need”. I’d have to pay for all added costs. 

5 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

That makes sense if it’s a business trip because of “business need”, but choosing to work from a cruise ship doesn’t constitute “business need”. I’d have to pay for all added costs. 

Hmm...  I wonder if he can write off a portion of the cruise expense for office space rent? 🙂 

I'm retired now but my home office was a pretty nice place. A "cruise office" would have been nicer but I don't think Wifi back then would have made it possible. 🙂 

9 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I guess there should be some extra cost for combining business with pleasure?? 🙂 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Hmm...  I wonder if he can write off a portion of the cruise expense for office space rent? 🙂 

I'm retired now but my home office was a pretty nice place. A "cruise office" would have been nicer but I don't think Wifi back then would have made it possible. 🙂 

Maybe

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

The monitors actually don't weigh that much.  One of the three in the picture is actually my laptop, so it's 2 monitors that go into the suitcase.  I have some packing material specific for those monitors and when you put the cords and dock, etc, the bag usually comes in just under 40 lbs.  I also have status so I don't have to pay to check a bag, so, the only cost is time waiting for the bag to come off the carousel.

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

The monitors actually don't weigh that much.  One of the three in the picture is actually my laptop, so it's 2 monitors that go into the suitcase.  I have some packing material specific for those monitors and when you put the cords and dock, etc, the bag usually comes in just under 40 lbs.  I also have status so I don't have to pay to check a bag, so, the only cost is time waiting for the bag to come off the carousel.

It’s great to know you’ve successfully flown with monitors without them breaking. 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:56 AM, UnregisteredUser said:

Not everyone considers eating healthy food, not drinking on weekdays, having a calm workspace where you won't be disturbed and can be productive a bad thing.. 😎

I get what you mean but you look at his cruising from a vacation perspective (as do I) but if he doesn't have any partner or children a work from home life can be pretty lonely and boring. I work 80-90% from home and even if I have both wife and 2 children I sometimes feel like I get restless not seing anything else than my house for two weeks.

If I was single without anyone I could definately see his point. Beats being alone at home.

Except when he is working he is still by himself? 

When he leaves his room it's no different than an apartment in the city going to the Cafe or whatever. 

At this point I don't think his work requires spending a full 8 hours banging keys on a keyboard.  I suspect his work involves directing others and keeping on top of things but not necessarily being at the keyboard full time for the entire work day.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Except when he is working he is still by himself? 

When he leaves his room it's no different than an apartment in the city going to the Cafe or whatever. 

Being by ourselves when working on distance is usually good (depending on what kind of remote work he does of course), no disturbance and many of us have daily contact several times with collegues by video or calls so there I see no loneliness.

When he leave his room or workspace when work is done I guess it is a little easier to socialize and talk to people that are on vacation on a cruise ship than talking to random strangers at a Cafe..

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 12:42 PM, PATRLR said:

Here's my improvised three monitor setup on Allure.  A Mac, a tablet, and the stateroom TV.

image.png.2e608a126aecb9719b3eea9bc791056c.png

• Like 3

On 8/15/2023 at 8:42 PM, PATRLR said:

This is a great setup for remote work 🙂 Only problem on a cruise ship would be the power cords, you need at least 3 outlets and with the Royal policy of no extension cords/splitter it could be tricky?

@mil76  I love the towel elephant cheering you on.   

At the moment, I have a family that I adore.  But, if I were single, I can totally see myself doing this.   I'd even had a retirement plan back when I was single, to not have a house but do 6-month apartment leases around the world.   

2 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

This is a great setup for remote work 🙂 Only problem on a cruise ship would be the power cords, you need at least 3 outlets and with the Royal policy of no extension cords/splitter it could be tricky?

I don't think there is an issue with splitters. I believe a simple 3x1 is OK (at least it has been for me). But your point is well taken.

2 hours ago, UnregisteredUser said:

??  The TV monitor is plugged in on it's own, the tablet needs USB, which can come from the computer, and the computer needs plugged in.  So that set up can use just one outlet.

That set up is pretty perfect for sailing, as I see it.

Also, I think there are some USB+small outlet boxes you can bring on board- which would give you extra USB outlets using the same outlet the computer uses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alfaeric said:

??  The TV monitor is plugged in on it's own, the tablet needs USB, which can come from the computer, and the computer needs plugged in.  So that set up can use just one outlet.

That set up is pretty perfect for sailing, as I see it.

Also, I think there are some USB+small outlet boxes you can bring on board- which would give you extra USB outlets using the same outlet the computer uses.

I responded to PATRLRs post, not MIL76 which I think you are refering to. PATRLR had two full size monitors and a docking station for the computer, same setup as I have in my office. That needs 3 power outlets.  Home I have just one monitor however a large 27"