airline scamble

gowilk

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would say yes and no.  Yes to BA and no to MVJ.  Because one is the operating carrier and the other is merely reporting information from another source.

And note the proviso that the BA information is good as of today.  It is completely possible for there to be an equipment change, both for marketing and operational reasons.

For me, at least as of today, I made the seat change on MVJ and shortly afterwards checked on British Airways. The change was confirmed on the airline website. We still have two months until our trip, and I will continue to check, as I have done since we selected our flights through Viking Air months ago. It was Viking Air that emailed me this morning to report the change.

2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

For me, at least as of today, I made the seat change on MVJ and shortly afterwards checked on British Airways. The change was confirmed on the airline website. We still have two months until our trip, and I will continue to check, as I have done since we selected our flights through Viking Air months ago. It was Viking Air that emailed me this morning to report the change.

So if you were going to the BA website anyway, to check that they change actually happened -- why not just go to BA in the first place and get it all done at once?

If BA says the change is made, who cares what it says anywhere else?

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

So if you were going to the BA website anyway, to check that they change actually happened -- why not just go to BA in the first place and get it all done at once?

If BA says the change is made, who cares what it says anywhere else?

If I had gone to BA first, I would still have gone to MVJ to confirm the accuracy of the information there. Since we booked the air through Viking, I guess I am the one who cares that both entities have the same information. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

If I had gone to BA first, I would still have gone to MVJ to confirm the accuracy of the information there. Since we booked the air through Viking, I guess I am the one who cares that both entities have the same information. 

Fine.  But just know...what it says on MVJ has zero applicability towards your actual ticket.  There is only one accurate indicator of your ticket status and that is what BA has for your record.  But if you want to have them the same, so be it.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 2:45 PM, FlyerTalker said:

The seat is never guaranteed, even when booking/selecting direct from the airline.  It is merely an assignment, and is unlike when you buy a specific seat for a performance or sporting event.

Read the fine print.

I do not question your expertise. Your knowledge is appreciated. But is “Read the fine print” necessary? Most of us who post questions are seeking help not chastisement.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

I do not question your expertise. Your knowledge is appreciated. But is “Read the fine print” necessary? Most of us who post questions are seeking help not chastisement.

The "Read the fine print" is a suggestion that folks go beyond just getting a simple answer.  By reading the fine print in airline documents, along with cruiseline and cruise air documents, savvy travelers can know just what the rules are.  What the responsibilities are, and are not, for the various companies.

The number of misconceptions regarding cruiseline air is staggering. People read the marketing blurbs and never go to the nuts and bolts.

I want folks to be informed, educated and aware consumers.  By doing additional research beyond just a one-line answer, they can be those things.

And perhaps, also assist others with their own new-found knowledge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

The "Read the fine print" is a suggestion that folks go beyond just getting a simple answer.  By reading the fine print in airline documents, along with cruiseline and cruise air documents, savvy travelers can know just what the rules are.  What the responsibilities are, and are not, for the various companies.

The number of misconceptions regarding cruiseline air is staggering. People read the marketing blurbs and never go to the nuts and bolts.

I want folks to be informed, educated and aware consumers.  By doing additional research beyond just a one-line answer, they can be those things.

And perhaps, also assist others with their own new-found knowledge.

All well taken. Unfortunately the language used in these contracts is overwhelming to many, at least me! Essential information is typically buried in pages of legalese, beyond the comprehension of many. 

Edited by rbslos18

20 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

All well taken. Unfortunately the language used in these contracts is overwhelming to many, at least me! Essential information is typically buried in pages of legalese, beyond the comprehension of many. 

And yet, those are the exact terms and conditions that govern your purchase. Not as buried as you may think. 

People have a choice - take the time and effort to become informed and educated, or make the conscious choice to accept whatever happens on pure faith.  There really isn't much of a middle ground.

Maybe take it as a fall project for you to read the contract covering both your Viking cruise and the air provided by Viking. Not all at one sitting...bite size pieces.  Trust me - it will be eye-opening and informative.

12 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

And yet, those are the exact terms and conditions that govern your purchase. Not as buried as you may think. 

People have a choice - take the time and effort to become informed and educated, or make the conscious choice to accept whatever happens on pure faith.  There really isn't much of a middle ground.

Maybe take it as a fall project for you to read the contract covering both your Viking cruise and the air provided by Viking. Not all at one sitting...bite size pieces.  Trust me - it will be eye-opening and informative.

I agree with you!  However,  if everyone actually did read the fine print, they won’t have anything to complain about on Social Media!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I agree with you!  However,  if everyone actually did read the fine print, they won’t have anything to complain about on Social Media!  

A bit judgmental and presumptuous. I have read the contract for a second time. It is a legal document that is complex in many places. It is 18 pages, single-spaced and quite frankly tedious. 

Some companies with similar types of contracts have written abbreviated summaries highlighting the most important points. Maybe you and/or Flyer Talker are up to creating a Viking Contract for Non-lawyers!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

A bit judgmental and presumptuous. I have read the contract for a second time. It is a legal document that is complex in many places. It is 18 pages, single-spaced and quite frankly tedious. 

I don’t find the Viking contract tedious at all, frankly or otherwise. But then again, I’ve been a lawyer for 40+ years. The Viking contract is a piece of cake compared to some of the agreements I’ve written, interpreted, and litigated over the years.

Disregard the “fine print” at your peril.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I don’t find the Viking contract tedious at all, frankly or otherwise. But then again, I’ve been a lawyer for 40+ years. The Viking contract is a piece of cake compared to some of the agreements I’ve written, interpreted, and litigated over the years.

Let me see tedious contracts, railroads, airlines, telecoms, internet service providers and that is long before we get to entertainment and what is net profits, NEVER AGREE TO A PERCENTAGE OF THE NET PROFITS!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I would hope after 40 years as a lawyer, this contract would be child’s play for you. There is a reason for the legal profession! For many of us with different educational backgrounds, this contract is a challenge to understand which defeats its purpose. 

Here’s a great did you know from the Viking Passenger Ticket (non-US). Did you know that each of us is required to have on our person the 18 page Viking Passenger Contract!

“8. PRE-BOARDING AND EMBARKATION REQUIREMENTS. Upon initiation of pre-boarding procedures, you shall have in your possession the Passenger Ticket Contract…”

Edited by rbslos18

Well, I’m  a lawyer, too. Or was.  But I was a law professor.  And I spent my career trying to rid the legal profession of this gobbledygook. But it is there for a reason.   And, my specialty wasn’t contract law, but constitutional law.  So, not even lawyers can always understand this stuff.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, formernuke said:

You may not realize it, but you have it (passenger ticket contract). It is MVJ under "Guest Documents"

In addition, Viking includes a pdf of the contract with every booking confirmation or revision to that booking.

6 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

In addition, Viking includes a pdf of the contract with every booking confirmation or revision to that booking.

Counselors,

I interpret this to mean having the physical document on our person like all the other docs listed: passport, COVID card and visa etc. What do you say?!

On 8/13/2023 at 10:13 AM, rbslos18 said:

Gowilk I am so sorry for your health challenges. I will take a stab at your post. Wishing you a full recovery. Please feel free to correct.

Where do I start? I fly to the cruise on American and return with United. The two airlines had at least 6 schedule changes in two months.  (I booked with Air Plus) Currently one of the flights is almost full and our seats have not been assigned. Frankly this is terrible and I will never book again with Viking Air.  Why have there been so many changes? Perhaps it is  better to book with the airline, pay for the ticket and be assigned a seat. 

Gowilk, I hope I captured your frustration. And yes, what you point out is one of the advantages of booking directly with the airlines. Although with many airlines you can choose a seat once you book with Viking Air Plus, the seat isn't guaranteed until you pay and the ticket is purchased by Viking. I typically handle the airlines myself unless we receive a price from Viking we can not resist. Once I book I monitor the flight weekly via the airlines' websites. 

thanks fro your kind response …in my frustration, it obvious that vo don’t give a damm about their customers and as such i’ll take my money elsewhere …gluck to them

8 hours ago, gowilk said:

thanks fro your kind response …in my frustration, it obvious that vo don’t give a damm about their customers and as such i’ll take my money elsewhere …gluck to them

I would call Viking Air. If you paid for Air Plus they can change your flight and straighten it out. Once you are assigned a flight and airline reservation then check to make sure your seat is what you want and check regularly. 
We only use Viking Air if it is a deal we can’t resist and then check and check to make sure there are no changes. We have three cruises coming up. We have seven trips coming up. Every single flight has been changed. Here is some advice:

1) If you used a travel agent, let them help you.  
2) If you only worked with Viking, call Viking Air and tell them what you need. 
3) If that fails, I have found emailing tellus@viking.com often leads to a phone call and someone to help. 
4) I believe one of these will work. If not see if a relative or friend can help. This will take some patience. Keep us posted so we can help. 

But there is good news. While I have found the Viking operation pre-cruise to be frustrating, the cruises have been outstanding. The ships and staff are just remarkable. My heart goes out to you. My wife had a TIA stroke overseas 4 years ago. She is 100% recovered but the event was scary. 

• Like 1

By reading the fine print, I found out last summer that due to my 5 day Covid quarantine aboard the Mars, that I was entitled to a voucher for the days missed. 
I would not have known this if I hadn’t read the fine print. Viking gave a

us a very generous voucher which we happily took and used.

4 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

1) If you used a travel agent, let them help you.

Cruise travel agents know bupkis about airline travel and airline fare rules.  I've yet to find one that actually knows their way around a GDS or a fare rule.  Wanna know why?  Because since airlines stopped agent commissions for airline tickets, there is little to no market for a knowledgeable airline agent.  Yes, you might find someone at a very high end luxury agency, where they create and package complete, complex trips.  But your average agent?  You're better off getting answers from your Ouija Board or a Magic 8-Ball.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 10:20 PM, formernuke said:

You may not realize it, but you have it (passenger ticket contract). It is MVJ under "Guest Documents"

But note that once your trip begins, the booking disappears from MVJ.

Anything that you want to save from MVJ has to be saved before your trip begins.

So, thank you, @formernuke for the heads up and I am off to download those documents.

On the other hand, 14 voyages with Viking and I have never been asked to see it.

On 8/17/2023 at 7:40 PM, rbslos18 said:

Counselors,

I interpret this to mean having the physical document on our person like all the other docs listed: passport, COVID card and visa etc. What do you say?!

If you have the pdf copy e documents Viking sent you 2 weeks before you sail, you have an electronic copy on of the contract on your electronic device of choice.