Hiking from cruise ports?

noloafing

We just booked the 73-Day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage on HAL. We are avid hikers and would like to explore as many hiking trails as we can. We would greatly appreciate any recommendations for hikes in or around any of the ports on this cruise.

Thanks -

In Tierra del Fuego National Park near Ushuaia there are several awesome hiking trails.  The one that begins to the right of the beach on which the End of the World Post Office is located is particularly spectacular.  We used Nicolas from Alma Calma as guide for this.

At the Puerto Montt, Chile stop we hiked the trails at the Osorno Volcano.  We had a clear blue sky day and the views were endless.  There was also a hike from the Osorno Volcano down to the Petrohue Waterfalls area.  We hiked those trails also but drove between the 2 spots.  We used AndresO from Tours by Locals.  

Edited by TayanaLorna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're booked for the same cruise and also very interested in day hikes at some of the ports. This weekend I've been working on planning our excursions for the Caribbean ports at the end of the cruise, and some of this might be helpful to you.

We probably won't do any trail hiking in Ecuador, Peru, and Brazil since we're interested in doing more history, culture, and food focused excursions, but Chile is a place I'd love to do some hiking. I'll be very interested to hear any hikes you're planning, and I'll post back here once we've finalized our plans for some of the other ports.

• Like 1

We just signed up for this cruise so I'm still working my way through the itinerary. From what you have listed, it looks like we have similar excursion interests. 

What independent tour service did you sign up with for Mt Alma?

@noloafing We've been planning more of our shore excursions and thought I'd highlight a few more that are hiking-adjacent:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tackingdev32 said:

Nov 4, Ushuaia - We booked HAL's excursion called "Trekking in Ushuaia", but I couldn't seem to find a trail map for this one.

Could you share any more info on this excursion? Is there a description available? Our cruise isn't until 2025 so nothing showing yet.

Thanks!

@Sea42 Trekking in Ushuaia:

ABOUT THE EXCURSION

Start out from the pier by motorcoach heading towards the northeast to the Tierra Mayor Valley.

Just before the Alvear mountain range, you will come to Nunatak, a warm cabin from where your trek begins. As you hike, nature offers a splendid view of the thick forest of Lengas -- the typical tree of the region where a great variety of birds make their homes. Reaching the Alvear Mountains, view the Five Cascades and learn how beavers work at building their dams.

Return to the cabin for refreshments of tea, coffee or mate (the national drink) before heading back to the pier.

Notes:

Knee-high rubber boots are provided in a variety of sizes if the weather dictates. It is essential that you wear warm, layered clothing to fully enjoy and participate in this excursion; outer layer should be waterproof and windproof. Bring gloves, a warm hat and a scarf. Minimum age is 15 years. Tour does not operate on holidays.

3 hours ago, noloafing said:

@Sea42 Trekking in Ushuaia:

ABOUT THE EXCURSION

Start out from the pier by motorcoach heading towards the northeast to the Tierra Mayor Valley.

Just before the Alvear mountain range, you will come to Nunatak, a warm cabin from where your trek begins. As you hike, nature offers a splendid view of the thick forest of Lengas -- the typical tree of the region where a great variety of birds make their homes. Reaching the Alvear Mountains, view the Five Cascades and learn how beavers work at building their dams.

Return to the cabin for refreshments of tea, coffee or mate (the national drink) before heading back to the pier.

Notes:

Knee-high rubber boots are provided in a variety of sizes if the weather dictates. It is essential that you wear warm, layered clothing to fully enjoy and participate in this excursion; outer layer should be waterproof and windproof. Bring gloves, a warm hat and a scarf. Minimum age is 15 years. Tour does not operate on holidays.

Thanks so much, this sounds like a good one to use for our excursion credit.

@tackingdev32 Here are the hiking related excursions we've booked and the AllTrails hikes I found that are accessible from the ports.

That looks like a nice mix of city walks and hiking trails. We may scrap the HAL tours we booked in Montevideo and Punta del Este in favor of a walk around the city. I did find an audio guide for Montevideo that looks like a similar path to the trail you linked: https://voicemap.me/tour/montevideo/explore-the-old-city-with-a-friend

• Like 2

• 4 months later...