What do you think of these hurricane predictions , me not to much.

dolittle

On 8/17/2023 at 12:16 AM, dolittle said:

Those who are very bought into Climate  Disaster  will use short term weather to prove what they  believe . When it does not fit they will say ''Your  confusing weather with climate '' .B.T.W. July and Aug have been cooler than normal here in the mid Atlantic .what does that mean not much .Local short term trends are just that .

My family owns the oldest surf shop in Ireland and I’ve yet to hear of a surf shop anywhere else in the world that’s closer to the waves than us, our building is hit by the waves on a fairly regular basis. I remember my geography teacher telling my class that any change in weather patterns shorter than 10 years is just weather, but we are well past the 10 year mark for global climate impacts. 
when we first opened our shop in the late 80s the sea temperature used to go down to 6C for a few months every winter, in the past 15 years the “normal” low is now 10C with occasional dips below this. We also don’t get as much frost throughout the winter, instead we now get short severe periods of bad weather.  
The messaging around climate change from the scientists has evolved over the past few decades, when it was first mooted they were very specifically saying “global warming” but as the changes started to happen they changed to “climate change” which is far more accurate. I remember reading one scientific paper that predicted Ireland’s climate changing to be a temperate rainforest, I.e. while it would get warmer it would also get wetter. The current trends are in line with that, but instead of fairly consistently wet weather through the winter we now get intervals of extremely wet weather and longer intervals of dry weather in the winter but the summer has gotten even less reliable. 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, navybankerteacher said:

agree about the elites not showing leadership - recalling the Kennedys in Hyannis and Walter Cronkite on Martha’s Vineyard opposing the wind farm which would destroy their views.

Just heard about Steven Spielberg's(B.T.W.seems like a good guy) a 250 million dollar new yacht this is some one who has been a left winger all his life and has given a lot of money to left wing groups. I guess he is a big supporter of global warming when it comes to other people.

4 hours ago, NoBoozeCruise said:

Legend 

Once upon a time we would get calls from surf contest organisers in Cornwall to check if we had waves as they knew if we had surf they’d have some a day or two later. Before all the met services put their models online. The fnmoc was the first such used by surfers world wide I spent a week pinning their charts to a noticeboard in the teams hotel at Eurosurf ‘97 as we went 5 days without a ripple. The welsh surf team accused us of shenanigans because the Irish team were off the drink for the week while the welsh being proper visitors went to all the evening entertainment (& drinking) so Ireland beat them for the first time at European championships. We did get epic waves for the last 2 days of the contest as the long term models were predicting. 

• Like 1