Mendenhall Glacier and Tram in Juneau

cleobella

In June, we will have a nice long day in Juneau Port.  We'd like to see Mendenhall Glacier, from the  Visitor Centre, and also do the Tram Ride as well as looking around town.  I think we are in port for 11 hours.  I am wondering which is better to do first: the Glacier or the Tram ride?  Is the Tram close to the ship dock?  Also, I understand the blue bus is not operating, what is the best way to get to the visitor center (I'd rather not have to walk a mile from the public bus stop unless it's scenic).  Is the town in walking distance to the port and is there anything especially interesting to do there ? Thanks for any info!

We have the same plan when we are there. Our plan was Mendenhall Glacier first as this is what we want to see more. Plus we plan to do hikes so will get that out of way. Than if we still have time and energy we were going to do the Tram. My understanding is the tram is in town and close to port.

Our issues is, our intitial research said you can get to Mendenhall Glacier by 2 tour operators (Juneau tours and M&M Tours). You'd just get off ship, go find them and pay to go.

But checking now and they have messages about the parks services sets passengers limits and they have pretty much reached them for the season. Might be some last minute spots left morning off but otherwise seem full.

I feel but am not 100% that the limit to park is just for these tour operators and you could still go into park if got their another? Anyone know this?

From what I can tell, the only other 2 options is public bus and walk the mile to visitor center. Or Taxis which seem to cost quite a bit.

Would love some more info from anyone that has been or knowns.

The issue with access to Mendenhall is that because it is Federal land any commercial business needs a permit to operate on Federal land. Each tour provider was given however many permits each year but for years now they have been able to secure additional permits when their allotment ran out. This year, no additional permits were authorized so later tourists are stuck with finding a non commercial way to get to Mendenhall. 

I don’t know how taxi riders are affected but Uber/Lift drivers were not able to drive onto Federal land and riders would need to walk however long that a path that is. I think taxis MAY be able to take you but even without the permit allotment issues, because of permitting at all, there was a steep charge to be dropped off at the visitor center, rather than the same area Uber/Lift drop off.

Personal vehicles are unaffected by the commercial tour permit allotment regulations. Parking is limited though and that’s one reason why the shuttles were so popular.

Also…most people would do Mendenhall first thing to try to beat the rush. Also, it can be quite foggy is in the earlier day hours and so the tram wouldn’t be as appealing earlier. Most wait to see how the weather is before doing the tram.

OR…you go to Mendenhall much later in the day and try to go after the rush. We were there in the late afternoon and the trails had very few people on them. Didn’t go in the visitor center though.

Edited by Anita Latte

Thank you for explaining this .  I am solo and would like to see the glacier , can you recommend how I can do this?  If I can see it from the visitor Center, that would be perfect.  Can you recommend who I can contact to get dropped off there (& return to ship)?  Thanks for any advice…we sail in 30 days

My first advice would be to talk about the situation on your roll call. See if you can either join with someone who has already planned to rent a car and would have space and/or form a group of others who are in the same predicament to join forces and rent a car and share the expense. I’m sure there’s many people in the same boat so to speak and cooperation might be your best bet.

If you’re really willing to work with others, you could see what other ships are in port and go to those roll calls to get help.

In addition to normal rental cars through any agency, there may be some Turo rental cars? Idk if I’m remembering that name correctly but it’s a bit like AirBnb or Outdoorsy for passenger vehicles. You basically are paying to borrow someone’s car to a period of time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Juneau 8/11/2024 - 11:30-9  Cruise Port ( I think we will be a group of 6 or 8 - can split up) 

link please to get to Mendenhall glacier (so I can purchase these hard to get tickets /with transportation way in advance- ty )

I know it's the wild, but is it likely the bears will be where the salmon are spawning ?

Would that be at "Steep Creek" - on the Moraine Ecology Trail ?

what is the "tram" that is referred to - is it worthwhile and how long is it?  - where does it go ?

-link please TIA

Edited by stacystuff
correction

Right where you get off the ship, there will be a line of booths with people selling tours, buses, etc.  I am sure you can get some sort of transportation to Mendenhall there.  We took the Blue Bus last year and bought tickets there.  I have no idea what other options are available.  

The tram station is right there in the town area, you can see it easily.  Ride up is 15 minutes, I think.  Easy to do.  We LOVE Juneau.

Here is my video from our day there, maybe it will help you see the layout and what's available.

• Like 2